wanting to find a whites tree frog - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

wanting to find a whites tree frog

I have been doing some research on White's Tree Frogs for quite a while now. And I really want to get one I already have a tank all set up for one....all I really need is to find a heating land and humdifier for the tank...but that should not to be to hard to get a hold of. Now I am really just trying to firgure out where all I can go to get the lil one. I have asked some of my local pet shops and they say they do carry them but not all the time. I was thinking of seeing if I could find a Herpetology expos locally that maybe I could find some to help me locate on though a group like that lol and I might be able to find myself a new Turtle through people like that as well.

But if anyone has any other tips on where I could look for a white's that would be great. Hopefully I will luck out and find something soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 02:07 PM
Hello Earthling

How big is your tank.You probably already know this but tree frogs - as per their name are climbers and require a tall tank.

Be sure you get the appropriate sized heat pad and think about getting a thermostat to better control the temperature.

Your best bet for a healthy frog would be a reptile expo.Just be sure its captive bred and not wild caught.

Another thing is you seem to be looking at getting alot of pets lately and I'm not trying to be mean but I hope you will wait quiet some time between pets as herps are very expensive animals to take care of.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancritter View Post
How big is your tank.You probably already know this but tree frogs - as per their name are climbers and require a tall tank.

Be sure you get the appropriate sized heat pad and think about getting a thermostat to better control the temperature.

Your best bet for a healthy frog would be a reptile expo.Just be sure its captive bred and not wild caught.

Another thing is you seem to be looking at getting alot of pets lately and I'm not trying to be mean but I hope you will wait quiet some time between pets as herps are very expensive animals to take care of.

I have checked with at least four or five people on this and several of them have had whites before and they have all told me this tank will due just fine(its a 10g)it is more long then wide but its pretty high and should have a lot of climbing room even so, and if i wanted to I could always see if I could make it tall anyway(by turning it on its side) ...and if I need to I can upgrad the tank to a 20 gallon when he gets older and bigger if need be. None of this dealing with the frog or tourtise is going to be happening right away I plan very much so to do as much research and saving of money as possible before I plan to bring these guys home so I can supply them with as good an environment as possible. And not to sound rude, but I don't think the number of pets I want to bring home is all that many and I don't just off go and bring pets home off top of my head, the idea comes to me off the top of my head that much is true....but I take my time in finding out what all the animal needs and cattering to that as much as possible. I am doing that with this Frog, with my future Turotise and to a Dwarf Hamster and Hermit Crabs I plan to bring home. Most any of these animals aside for the Turtoise already have tanks that have everything they need for them set up (or if not all of the items set up at least a good portion of what needs to be there is).

Anything I put up here on this fourm is mostly just research for me to get everything together I need I have no intesion of bring home a pet or pets without having the right kind of acomidations for them.

Last edited by kala83; 09-15-2008 at 02:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I just got through with running some extra research and I think I am going to look at getting a Green Tree frog more then a whites now. It should do a lot better in a 10 gallon then a whites I could keep a whites in a 10 but chances of me having to upgrade are just to great so I am gonna get something more suitable for that size of tank. I gonna try keeping the tank how it is but if I think he will like it more being taller I can always do that. But I still think that the way I have tank set up he should have plenty of room for lots of climbig...once I get some driftwood and other branches in the tank.

I'm assuming that I can find a Green Tree frog from a reptile expo pretty easily like I could with the whites as well right?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I have changed my mind again I still think I want to look at getting a white's I checked with someone at a local pet store. And he told me that the 10 gallon I had would be perfectly fine to house the white and if I need to I can upgrade the tank to 15 if he does get to bored in the tank but I really think that he should be just fine.

He did tell me if i wanted to look at getting a smaller kind that I should be looking at Indonesian White and not Australian White since these tend to be smaller.

I will certainly look at getting a Thermostat but I think that the heating will be perfectly fine...the area the tank is in has a light and that should supply a good amount of heat....but just to make sure I will probably end up getting a heating pad for extra warmth to give the lil one as well. Now I just need to locate some bamboo rods to put in the tank for him to climb on and a little hidey arch area....and I think his new home will be perfect for him.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 07:15 PM
Hello Earthling

Have you thought of a pacman form instead?One pacman frog would do much better in a 10 gallon since they don't need to climb.

And I just thought because you were looking at ferrets,frogs and turtles which all on their own are quiet expensive animals,I just wanted to make sure that you weren't going to go out say all in the same month to get them. Thats all

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

nope Im not looking at any of those things any time soon, in fact specifically in the post on the ferrets I said I was not looking into getting them until at least two years from now that I am right now just merly looking at what they will need. I know right now I don't have the space to keep a ferret let alone two like I would like but I plan to be moving out in two years to at least a one or two room apartment. So I think I will have the space to do so like I said I am just looking at researching things right now. The tortise as well is not anything I plan to do right now, its something I would like to do but in the future, for right I am just looking at getting some kind of lil frog...or toad, some Hermit crabs, and a dwarf Hamster all of which are going to be brought into the house fairly far apart.

lol omg no that would be crazy to get them all in the same month I am pretty strict on myself with doing research on things before hand on any animal I take in I don't plan to bring the new Hamster in until at least another three or four months from now....like I said most of these things I am bringing in are just things I was already prepared to bring in and have the spaces for them. lol I am kind of one of those people that just cuz they ask a question about a particular animal on the site does not nessicarly mean that I will go off on the spur of the moment and bring it home I believe in being prepared far too much to do that.

A pacman huh! I might look into that...I still think owning a whites would be really cool...but I do think I should have something for its specific needs if I do want one. Quick question do you know if fire bellied toads would work in a 10 gallon or not?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 01:58 PM
Hello Earthling

Yes you could do fire bellies in a 10 gallon.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 07:08 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Firebelly toads would be perfect for a 10-gallon . I have to agree with canadiancritter about a 10-gallon being kind of small for a White's tree frog. I have a green treefrog in one and I'm actually thinking of upgrading because I feel it's a little small .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
Firebelly toads would be perfect for a 10-gallon . I have to agree with canadiancritter about a 10-gallon being kind of small for a White's tree frog. I have a green treefrog in one and I'm actually thinking of upgrading because I feel it's a little small .
Yeah I do think a 20 would be far better for something like a whites, I took a look at the pacman that you mentioned before in a frog book I got from my librarey omg they are so cute looking I love how small and fat they look. lol I know frogs are not ment to be handled much at all but it would be so hard not to be tempted to pick that lil guy up and hug. lol most restrain from doing so.

I do think I am going to wait for a while before I get anything new....but I am certainly looking at getting one of these lil guys. And hopefully whenever I get the chance to run out to Herp expo I will find someone I can work with on picking him up and bring him or her home.

Thanks for all of the tips rest assured once I get the lil one there will be pics.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 07:47 AM
Hello Earthling

Yeah pacman frogs are a look but don't touch pet.They'll bit anything that moves.And they actually get pretty big, but only require a 10 gallon because they are inactive and spend most of their time buried in their substrate or in their water bowl.I personally keep mine in a 12 gallon with very deep coconut fiber, a large water bowl and a Chinese evergreen- with a heat pad mounted on the side of the tank.

The frog in my signature is a pacman. If you want any info on them I'd be happy to help.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 07:47 AM
Hello Earthling

Yeah pacman frogs are a look but don't touch pet.They'll bit anything that moves.And they actually get pretty big, but only require a 10 gallon because they are inactive and spend most of their time buried in their substrate or in their water bowl.I personally keep mine in a 12 gallon with very deep coconut fiber, a large water bowl and a Chinese evergreen- with a heat pad mounted on the side of the tank.

The frog in my signature is a pacman. If you want any info on them I'd be happy to help.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancritter View Post

can you keep them in tanks with moss? I know I read on another frog forum that can't keep frogs in with some types of moss but I think my moss is Irish Moss since it looks a lot like that from the pictures I looked up on it. Most every said something like don't keep them in with stringy moss that they could sallow cuz it could wrap around the intestine and choke them from the inside. But I think Irish Moss is safe its not stringy at all very flat from what I can see.

I didn't know about the coco fiber stuff but I will certainly keep that in mind. I am planning on looking at getting some hermit crabs at some point to so that will come in handy for both him and them I am sure.
Are there any other tank decor I should be looking into for him? the earlier I know what I need to grab up the better I am thinking.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 02:11 PM
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala83 View Post
can you keep them in tanks with moss? I know I read on another frog forum that can't keep frogs in with some types of moss but I think my moss is Irish Moss since it looks a lot like that from the pictures I looked up on it. Most every said something like don't keep them in with stringy moss that they could sallow cuz it could wrap around the intestine and choke them from the inside. But I think Irish Moss is safe its not stringy at all very flat from what I can see.

I didn't know about the coco fiber stuff but I will certainly keep that in mind. I am planning on looking at getting some hermit crabs at some point to so that will come in handy for both him and them I am sure.
Are there any other tank decor I should be looking into for him? the earlier I know what I need to grab up the better I am thinking.
No moss. None at all.Nothing.Notta. Moss is lethal to them- so its safer to just keep like on clean soil (just soil, nothing added like chemicals etc...) or coconut fiber.

You'll also need a large water bowl with enough water to cover him half way but anything deeper is dangerous as pacmans can't swim well and will drown.I have my water bowl on a slant so he can choose how deep he wants to go.

You can use live plants that are clean and free of chemicals and pests (check thats their safe first) fake plants etc...

Most people keep with tanks pretty bare but I like to jazz mine up and make them look pretty.

Just remember that frogs absorb pretty much everything through their skin so you want to be careful that you change the water everyday and keep the tank clean, also don't use anything think sharp or pointy that could harm it.