What are the best live plants for 2 ACF's?!!? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
View Poll Results: Do you use live plants in your aquarium??
Yes, but just for decorative purposes 0 0%
No, I prefer plastic or silk 0 0%
Yes, because It's beneficial to the water & the animals 1 100.00%
No, buying live plants is just too expensive 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Exclamation What are the best live plants for 2 ACF's?!!?

I've heard anubias are really great, is that so? I really need live plants as my nitrate/nitrite shoot up (I didn't have a choice so I'm cycling with frogs in the tank)!

What are your top plants?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 02:14 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Ack, nitrites? That's not good at all, make sure you're doing lots of water changes.

I can help with plants but I'd need to know a little more about your set-up. What size is the tank and what kind of lighting/substrate do you have? Dwarf anubias is usually good, so are java ferns .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

I planted a bunch of different plants in my 55 gal frog tank - I have 2 african clawed frogs living in there. The oldest plant lasted a few months until the frogs destroyed it. I loved how the tank looked planted with live plants, but my frogs just wouldn't leave them alone. They didn't eat them, but eventually knocked all the leaves off of every single one of them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Lightbulb

"the guy" at our local pet store recommended plant food for my aquarium plants. That didn't seem right to me? Pouring plant food into the water my African Clawed Frog's swim in?

I just need some solid advice to keep my plants living. I had bamboo for awhile with my African Dwarf and that lasted years, but my big guys would just knock those bamboo posts right over.

... I purchased dwarf anubias and java fern. Any advice?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 01:38 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudorocknroll View Post
"the guy" at our local pet store recommended plant food for my aquarium plants. That didn't seem right to me? Pouring plant food into the water my African Clawed Frog's swim in?

I just need some solid advice to keep my plants living. I had bamboo for awhile with my African Dwarf and that lasted years, but my big guys would just knock those bamboo posts right over.

... I purchased dwarf anubias and java fern. Any advice?
Wait, he recommended just regular plant food? Or stuff for aquatic plants?

Either way, you don't need that stuff for the plants you've picked out. You could supplement a bit with Plant Excel but even that is probably unnecessary.

The dwarf anubias can be planted as is. You shouldn't have to do much. Java ferns do best when tied to something or wedged between rocks/driftwood. If you have to plant them, plant them in a way that you're not burying their roots.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Tags
acf, anubias, frogs, nitrate, plants