What snail do you recommend?! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

What snail do you recommend?!

I know each type of snail requires/eats different things so I am wondering what snail would go best in a:

A) 74 degree, 20 gallon tank w/ 2 ACF's. My tank is 100% rocks, it's mostly the ornaments that are collecting algae!

B) 79-80 degree, 18 gallon tank w/ 2 ADF's. This tank is half rocks half bare bottom and it's mostly the rocks that are collecting algae.

What kind of snails do I need?! It's kind of urgent! Any help would be awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Are you looking for snails specifically to eat algae? Just be aware that snails rarely clear a tank of algae (the ones that do are often the ones that starve when the algae is gone, too). You'll also need to provide food for the snails as well as calcium for their shells.

It's far better to look into the causes for the algae (getting an animal to eat it is just treating the symptom) and to also remember that a small amount of algae is normal and beneficial.

That being said, freshwater Nerite snails (sometimes called Olive Nerites--just make sure they're freshwater since there are marine species) are probably your best bet. They won't breed in freshwater, love algae, stay small, and are generally hardy. I would get one or two per tank.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Be careful with the ACF tank. My african clawed frogs will eat snails if they can fit them in their mouths.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 05:16 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain View Post
Be careful with the ACF tank. My african clawed frogs will eat snails if they can fit them in their mouths.
Oh, yeah, I totally didn't notice that one of the tanks had ACFs. I wouldn't recommend any snails for that one! They'll pretty much eat anything .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

we already had a snail in there once and they had no interest in it what so ever...they just wanted their worms (haha)

What about my ADF tank?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 06:43 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudorocknroll View Post
What about my ADF tank?
Same suggestion I gave above.

~Stephanie

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Oh! I'm so sorry I missed it! I read it and am excited for the advice.

I have a decent amount of algae so it will take awhile for the snail to get through it and once he/she does I will NOT let it starve! I'd just need to find out what it would need to eat.

The cause is just the higher temperatures in the ADF tank I think. We have our lights on a timer & only do 6 hours on so it can't be that. We clean their tank/do water changes regularly & have a working filter. Any other ideas as to what it could be?

Also, is calcium 100% necessary??? If so, how is it applied?

Thank you so much for your help!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 12:49 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

The snails will happily munch on algae wafers and may also take blanched vegetables such as lettuce and spinach. They'd probably eat dried seaweed (nori), too.

High temperatures and light alone can't grow algae. They need nutrients, too, usually nitrogen-based compounds (but phosphates can also grow algae--have you ever tested your tap water for phosphates, just to see?). How often do you do water changes and do you vacuum the substrate? Usually you can combat algae problems just by stepping up the water changes . It also sounds like you could have pollutants in the tap water itself.

Calcium is absolutely necessary for their shells. The ideal thing here would be to test your water to see if any needs to be added and if so, how much. Do you have any fish stores in the area capable of testing calcium levels in freshwater? If not, I would just add a drop or two every so often. You can buy liquid forms in the marine aquarium section of your local pet store. It should last you a while since very little needs to be added (the bottles sold are intended for reef tanks that use up calcium very quickly). Alternatively, you could try to raise calcium levels naturally by adding shells and/or crushed coral to the aquarium. Watch your pH level, either way. Adding too much at once could cause a pH swing.

~Stephanie

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
The snails will happily munch on algae wafers and may also take blanched vegetables such as lettuce and spinach. They'd probably eat dried seaweed (nori), too.

High temperatures and light alone can't grow algae. They need nutrients, too, usually nitrogen-based compounds (but phosphates can also grow algae--have you ever tested your tap water for phosphates, just to see?). How often do you do water changes and do you vacuum the substrate? Usually you can combat algae problems just by stepping up the water changes . It also sounds like you could have pollutants in the tap water itself.

Calcium is absolutely necessary for their shells. The ideal thing here would be to test your water to see if any needs to be added and if so, how much. Do you have any fish stores in the area capable of testing calcium levels in freshwater? If not, I would just add a drop or two every so often. You can buy liquid forms in the marine aquarium section of your local pet store. It should last you a while since very little needs to be added (the bottles sold are intended for reef tanks that use up calcium very quickly). Alternatively, you could try to raise calcium levels naturally by adding shells and/or crushed coral to the aquarium. Watch your pH level, either way. Adding too much at once could cause a pH swing.
I use prime to condition my water. All the parameters are totally fine ( I checked 3 days ago) That's what I am so confused about! I do water changes about every 10 days and clean the gravel once ever other change. What is my IDEAL PH level for my ADF and ACF tank?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 01:56 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Prime doesn't remove phosphates, they may be present in your tap water. They aren't really harmful (for your tank) but they'll fuel algae growth. There's no need to go crazy trying to remove it, though, unless the algae is really bad.

I would aim for a weekly water change (and try to vacuum every time, frogs are messy!) and see if that helps. How much algae is there? Remember, some algae is normal. A sterile aquarium isn't a healthy one.

There's no real ideal pH level (although you want to avoid extremes). Instead, make sure it's stable. See what it currently is and keep an eye out for changes. Acidic water (pH under 7.0) can be a pain to deal with because animals can become more prone to disease and the beneficial bacteria don't really thrive. But even that isn't a death sentence or anything (if it was acidic enough to kill your frogs you probably wouldn't be able to drink it).

~Stephanie

Tags
acf, adf, algae, recommend, snail