When is it time to upgrade my 2 ACF's tank? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

When is it time to upgrade my 2 ACF's tank?

I'm a proud mama! I have one boy, Haus, and one girl, Dee. They are both about 9 months old now and starting to get bigger (not full grown by ANY means). They are just about to graduate from red wigglers to earth worms!! Anyway, I have a 20 G (it's quite longer than tall) tank with a great fluval filter, but I'm aware they will need at 40-50G(?) at some point. My question is: when will that be? When do you guys think I will need to upgrade. How big are everyone's tanks/do you have a tank to recommend!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

I have a 50 gal for my two females. They are both full grown, and almost 4 years old.

I moved them to the 50 gal when they were still young, under a year, and they weren't full grown at the time. Before that I had them in a 20 too, and before that, when they where eggs/tadpoles, I had them in a 10 gal.

Anyways I think you can upgrade whenever you want. You don't really have to wait until they reach a certain size or anything. If it where me, I'd upgrade sooner rather than later just to give them the extra space as they continue to grow.

Right now mine are just in a regular run of the mill glass 50 gal aquarium, but I'm planning on switching my tanks over to acrylic in the near future.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 04:11 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I agree with Michelle, it's really up to you .

Upgrading them when they're still small can actually be good for them, it gives them plenty of space to grow.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

what are the arguments concerning glass vs. acrylic? different brands? I'd love to know before I buy a new tank!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 03:58 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Glass:

-Doesn't scratch as easily (if you do, though, the scratches are harder to get out)
-Not as likely to bow (especially with larger tanks)
-Difficult to move and clean
-Cheaper
-Not quite as clear of a view when comparing brand new tanks

Acrylic:

-Scratches very easily (you'd want a special algae scraper, for example)
-Large tanks can be prone to bowing (I don't recommend acrylic for very large set-ups, honestly, but I know it can be done)
-Easy to move and clean
-More expensive than glass
-Very clear view

They're just different materials, you should be able to Google and get some comparisons . I usually go with glass but I prefer acrylic for small desktop tanks since they need more frequent cleaning (you can't beat how easy it is to lift and clean an acrylic tank!). Acrylic is also useful if you want a more unique shape to your tank (like a cylinder or corner-style aquarium).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

I like acrylic...it's also suppose to be stronger and more leak/crack proof than glass, and it holds in heat better than glass. It does have some cons, like being easier to scratch (the scratches can usually be removed though), and it needs more support than a glass aquarium to help prevent bowing.

I had a bad experience with one of my glass aquariums leaking...the water went through my floor and did quite a bit of damage to the floor and the ceiling of the floor below us. I'm really paranoid about my tanks leaking now, so I'm planning on switching to acrylic mostly because I like that they are more leak-proof than glass is. Some manufacturers of acrylic tanks even offer a lifetime guarantee against leaks.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain View Post
I like acrylic...it's also suppose to be stronger and more leak/crack proof than glass, and it holds in heat better than glass. It does have some cons, like being easier to scratch (the scratches can usually be removed though), and it needs more support than a glass aquarium to help prevent bowing.

I had a bad experience with one of my glass aquariums leaking...the water went through my floor and did quite a bit of damage to the floor and the ceiling of the floor below us. I'm really paranoid about my tanks leaking now, so I'm planning on switching to acrylic mostly because I like that they are more leak-proof than glass is. Some manufacturers of acrylic tanks even offer a lifetime guarantee against leaks.
I don't want to scare you but I've had two aquariums leak (out of who knows how many, lol). One was glass and the other was acrylic. So either way, do a test run first in the bath tub and make sure you have the proper support .

P.S. The glass one leaked last week so I feel your pain. Ugh. Brand new tank but my fault for not checking it more closely.

If you do switch over, take pictures! Acrylic tanks look cool .

~Stephanie

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks - yeah I will. The acrylic tanks I'm looking at buying have lifetime guarantees against leaks so at least if it leaks I can have it replaced, which is good since the acrylics are kind of pricey. Hopefully it doesn't leak though!

I just like the acrylic tanks more for some reason. I'll get pictures when I get them set up, but it might not be for awhile.

Tags
acf, amphibian, recommendation, tank size