2 Bunnies Drowned at Petland - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 12:41 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Sometimes big pet stores have trouble finding employees. All the petstores in my town change employees all the time.

I was working at a pet shop for a little over 2 months and am quitting because I can't take the none-caring of animals. I don't know all pet shops, but anyone working in a pet shop for an extended period of time that doesn't take proper care of animals does not really love animals.

The main worker at my pet shop has been there a very long time. Since she never finished high school, that's the only job she can have that pays her enough to support her family, otherwise she'd have to re-start at minimum wage. Anyways, she considers herself an animal lover... however she adopted a rat from the pet store and she let her cats be around his cage. The rat was of course stressed out from it, and she kept saying he was a mean rat because he pooped outside of his cage. However this very mean rat never bit anyone... which would be MY definition of mean. And her son didn't like the rat, and wouldn't take care of it while she was at work... so what was her logical solution?
She brought the rat back to the store, an adult rat, and GOT HIM SOLD AS SNAKE FOOD!!!!!!

WTF?!?!?!

I know not all pet shops are the same and there have to be some GREAT pet shops out there, but I have lost so much faith in humans. If you work at a pet shop you're supposed to like animals since you're around them all day and clean their poo! well no!
and everyone who applies to get a job there (Since i'm getting replaced i see interviews and people who come in with CVs everyday) have NO experience with animals! And they think that owning a dog when they were 5 makes them apt. So the very first person who has worked in anything with animals or lived on a farm is an acceptable new employee.

We had a new guy come in, and he told a lady who wanted a black male kitten that we only had females. It's very hard to sell black kittens, people who come to a pet store for a cat want "Special" ones usually. We had 5 black kittens, 2 were males.
The guy couldn't sex kittens and did not even ask for help to sex them.

i had posted a thread about my pet shop in vents and rants... I'm sorry to have made a big post, but this topic gets me going.

POOR BUNNIES if this is true.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Thats so sad!
It really makes me mad when the workers dont know crap about animals... Once I bought some fish from Petland (Ive never bought anything else there), and the worker didnt know you where supposed to put Stress Coat in the bags. Well, by the time I got to my car, about 3 of my fish where dead from shock. :/
The fish looked really well cared for (all the animals there do, acually) but the employees are stupid.

Im applying for a job at my favorite pet store call Pet Supplies Plus. The animals are all well taken care of, and Ive gotten some great advice from the people that work there. They dont sell any "feeder" animals either! (other than fishies)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 02:05 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Working at a pet shop would be great if all the animals are well taken care of and the staff can really teach you good things.
So if that store is like that, i'm sure you will have lots of fun working there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 03:52 PM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Oh man, what i would do to have a few minutes alone with her, she wouldnt be able to smile for long.

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Playful Pup

OMG that is completely horrifying! Disgusting, won't be going there EVER again!
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 12:08 AM
Playful Pup

After two of the rabbits we got from petland died (the vet said it was most likely due to them being weaned too early and sold too young, so they had fatal GI problems), I've refused to have anything to do with Petland. I won't even step foot in one of their stores for any reason. I heard about that on the news, since I'm in Ohio too (but not in Akron). Somehow, out of all the pet store chains, I'm the least surprised that it happened in a Petland location. They really seem to be the worst of the worst as far as animal treatment goes, I've heard plenty of horror stories about their mistreatment of animals.
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 12:34 AM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Is PetLand a small pet store chain? Or something big like PetCo and PetSmart?
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 08:45 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

they have stores almost everywhere in the us, but not all states (more eastern states) and some states only in one city, like in california they only have one in Roseville.
I looked at their website to see what kind of store it is, and they have a lot of locations, some states have over 20 stores, like OH.
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

I saw this posted somewhere else too. From what I heard, they have gotten statements from employee's from other Petland stores stating that this was a common pratice to deal with sick or injured animals that they couldn't sell.

I never shop at any pet stores that sells animals. Most of them come from breeding mills and arn't treated very well, and I refuse to support that. It's not all that hard to find small nonchain pet stores that sell only supplies, or even buy supplies online.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Every single pet store around here has animals in it, and its too expensive for me too order online :/ I dont support crappy petstores though, and Im definalty not going into petland.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 10:07 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Wow. I'm beyond words. Someone should drown her... I feel sick now.

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 12:55 PM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Every single pet store around here has animals in it, and its too expensive for me too order online :/ I dont support crappy petstores though, and Im definalty not going into petland.
The only pet store chain we have here that doesn't sell animals is Pet People - but I guess that it's an Ohio and California-only chain. Pet Supplies Plus is where I get my bedding and litter from.

As far as pet food goes, I actually found that I save money by buying it online. Since they have decent prices on food and reasonably low shipping costs, I order mostly from the Drs. Foster & Smith website. At the very worst, I break even after paying shipping costs, but I usually save at least some. That, plus I can't buy hay in bulk quantities (25 or 50lbs) at any of the pet stores here anyway.

The only thing I've bought recently from a pet store (other than kitty litter and bedding) is ceramic food bowls. Not only are there always some horror stories like this, the average employee really does seem completely clueless - I guess it really is a case of them having a puppy when they were 5 and thinking they're now a certified vet because of it.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 01:01 PM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain View Post
From what I heard, they have gotten statements from employee's from other Petland stores stating that this was a common pratice to deal with sick or injured animals that they couldn't sell.
After the two bunnies we got from Petland died, I searched around on the internet to see what kind of experiences people had with the chain, and they were generally bad. I'm sure a lot of the stories are PETA-style hyped up nonsense, but I did see several stories about how they just flat out kill animals that haven't sold after a while.

The one I remember was about how they'd be put in a bag, smacked around on the ground until they died, then thrown away in a dumpster. I don't really want to believe that anyone would do that, but at the same time, I know it's probably true.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

I also save money by buying my pet stuff online. I buy my rabbits hay in bulk and save soo much money over buying those tiny over priced pet store bags. I buy my dog food and supplies from a website that has good sales at least a couple of times a month. The pet stores around here don't even sell the brand I feed Kit (Wellness) anyways. I breed my own insects to feed to Haku but I even buy them online when I need them, in bulk so that I have plenty to feed him and then extras to set up to breed. You need to look around online to find the best deals, but I definatly save money.

post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 01:46 PM
Hello Earthling

When I was looking around to buy gecko food and some other things online I would have actually spent more since shipping is crazy, esp. since most of it would have to come from the US. Even shipping in Canada is crazy $53.00 to ship an 10.00 thing.

Tags
abuse, cruelty, drown, rabbit