2 Bunnies Drowned at Petland - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Angry 2 Bunnies Drowned at Petland

***WARNING: Link contains graphic picture of girl holding 2 dead rabbits***

http://blog.peta.org/archives/2009/0...es_drowned.php

Seriously... What is wrong with people??
This just really pissed me off... I acually thought the Petland by me was a really great place- They have clean cages, and very socialized animals. I go there sometimes just to play with them, but Im not sure Ill be going back there again.

I wish they didnt kill those two poor bunnies... I would have adopted them in a heartbeat. And taking a picture with the bodies... just... Eww. That girl obviously has no heart what so ever.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 10:54 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

That's awful! How could you do that?!?! It must be pretty bad, I can't even get to the link. So sick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 11:49 PM
Part of the Pack

The link isn't working for me either.

Did they drown the rabbits on purpose? There are laws about doing things like that.

~Ren~
Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet.

Rags- Blue Healer/Border Collie Mix

Nelix- Yellow Lab Mix

Tippy- Black and White Fancy Rat

Fredi- Tan and White Fancy Rat

RIP- Aggie, Dorito
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 12:46 AM
the rodent lover<3

http://blog.peta.org/f139/2009/08/bunnies_drowned.php this?
SHE'S ******* SMILING!
Gah. Here's the article just incase the link happens to not work.
This photo was taken in the back room of a Petland store in Akron, Ohio, and posted on Facebook by Elizabeth Carlisle, who can be seen grinning as she holds two dead, soaking-wet rabbits by the scruff of the neck—rabbits she just drowned while on Petland's time clock. On Carlisle's Facebook page, she confirmed a friend's guess that she had drowned these two rabbits and wrote, "[T]he manager took the pic for me. [S]he reminded me that there were people outside as [i] was swearing at them to just hurry up and die but then she was so kind as to take this picture."
These horrific deaths followed what was apparently an equally horrifying life for these rabbits. Other comments Carlisle posted made it clear that the rabbits were drowned after sustaining agonizing injuries when they were allowed to "attack and eat each other." The rabbits suffered from "deep wounds all over," "an eye missing," what Petland staff "suspected was a broken jaw," and paralysis from the waist down—injuries that would not have occurred had these animals been provided with proper care and supervision.
Undercover investigations have revealed time and time again that companies that breed and sell animals are concerned about profits, not animals' well-being. We are urging Petland to think long and hard about what this incident makes clear: The company has no business selling any animals.
To prevent future incidents like this one, please, never buy from pet stores and urge Petland at the very least to stop selling rabbits.

Looks like it was on purpose, someone commented on the blog:
this is seriously disturbing and heartbreaking. ugh...don't let me see this stupid ***** who did this to these rabbits!! wtf are you doing working at a pet store if you don't like animals? wtf are you doing DROWNING rabbits?!! WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU?!!

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 01:45 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

link still doesnt work fro me but did you say shes smiling?? thats disgusting ):

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 02:35 AM
the rodent lover&lt;3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrWoodyspets View Post
link still doesnt work fro me but did you say shes smiling?? thats disgusting ):
Yes shes smiling. A big fat cheesy smile.
Does this work? http://blog.peta.org/archives/2009/0...wned.php?c=pfs

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~

Last edited by xx Angelica<3; 08-05-2009 at 02:37 AM.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 02:36 AM
Newborn Pup

OMG!! That's so cruel and disgusting!! I hope this girl and her manager were arrested and charged for what they've done. That photo made me wanna cry, poor little things.

Jo x

Mummy to:

Ash - Miniture Yorkshire Terrier
Cookie - Bunny
Fudge - Bunny
Missie - Hamster

R.I.P

Rocky - Staffordshire Bull Terrier (my dad's)
Joey - Budgie
Petre - Budgie
Harry - Hamster
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 07:06 AM
Hello Earthling

None of the links work.

That is disgusting. The girl and her parents should be ashamed of her.

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 12:15 PM
can't think of one, help

I'm not even going to try the link, I hope the individuals' involved are charged with animal cruelty.

Vicki

Rainbow, Abbles, Carmy, Kissy, Peaches, Cream, (kitties) and Littlebunny boy (elder bunny)

the pic is the last one of my meecee kitty (5/9/89 - 1/9/08)
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 12:23 PM
Adolescent Pup

I saw it on twitter [I'm following peta ] and it REALLY pissed me off.
WARING-PICTURE-

This photo was taken in the back room of a Petland store in Akron, Ohio, and posted on Facebook by Elizabeth Carlisle, who can be seen grinning as she holds two dead, soaking-wet rabbits by the scruff of the neck—rabbits she just drowned while on Petland's time clock. On Carlisle's Facebook page, she confirmed a friend's guess that she had drowned these two rabbits and wrote, "[T]he manager took the pic for me. [S]he reminded me that there were people outside as [i] was swearing at them to just hurry up and die but then she was so kind as to take this picture."
These horrific deaths followed what was apparently an equally horrifying life for these rabbits. Other comments Carlisle posted made it clear that the rabbits were drowned after sustaining agonizing injuries when they were allowed to "attack and eat each other." The rabbits suffered from "deep wounds all over," "an eye missing," what Petland staff "suspected was a broken jaw," and paralysis from the waist down—injuries that would not have occurred had these animals been provided with proper care and supervision.
Undercover investigations have revealed time and time again that companies that breed and sell animals are concerned about profits, not animals' well-being. We are urging Petland to think long and hard about what this incident makes clear: The company has no business selling any animals.
To prevent future incidents like this one, please, never buy from pet stores and urge Petland at the very least to stop selling rabbits.
Posted by Liz Graffeo

This got me SO mad, especially owning a rabbit myself.
How can someone do it, and SMILE? -_-

You put a baby in a crib with an apple and a rabbit. If it eats the rabbit and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car.

post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 01:21 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Angry

OMG! Thats awful. How could somebody do that just because?? Then be happy when her boss takes a picture of her smiling??? Its the most horrible thing I have ever heard of): ): ):

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 11:21 PM
Part of the Pack

I hope that picture is used against her in the animal cruelty case.

~Ren~
Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet.

Rags- Blue Healer/Border Collie Mix

Nelix- Yellow Lab Mix

Tippy- Black and White Fancy Rat

Fredi- Tan and White Fancy Rat

RIP- Aggie, Dorito
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 11:26 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

honestly it looks like a FAKE picture that PETA made up. Propaganda

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 11:45 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

even if it isn't a fake pic, 2 employees does not equal all pet stores, or all employees of pet stores, or all petlands do this.

The comment of "the manager wanted to hurry up cause there were people in the store..." there would be other employees working, or they would do this after hours when there were 0 people. They don't leave big pet stores open unemployed

[/CENTER]

post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Adolescent Pup

thats so mean. i feel so bad for them. how can she even be smiling. what a sick person.

~Sam-Woodmor~

My pets-

Jewel and Ruby

Merlin

Gotta Love Them

Tags
abuse, cruelty, drown, rabbit