abandoned boa constrictor - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2002, 07:06 AM
nolagurl

abandoned boa constrictor

I have an old roommate that basically abandoned her 6 foot red tail boa constrictor. Her roommate (another old roomie of mine) has no idea how to care for snakes. This poor creature has not eaten since October and has not had water in its tiny water bowl for who knows how long. I have a ball python of my own and I am seriously considering taking this creature in.

However, I don't want to get stuck with a high Vet bill. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2002, 01:27 PM

I agree with TY Toirt is your man he will be able to help you.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2002, 08:42 AM
nolagurl

Thumbs up ;-)

Thanx a lot for offering your help! I have also been looking at several boa websites for information. It seems that care would be similar to a python. I'm planning on leaving the constrictor at my friends apartment until we get our new apt. b/c my present apt. is pretty small and I'm not supposed to have my snake here much less two! I'm feeding both of them today so I'm sure Ryo (the boa) will be very happy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2002, 03:55 AM
nolagurl

Making progress

I'm making progress w/ Ryo. I just bought a heat lamp for her (now she has 2) and a thermometer. I'm working on a water dish; it's really hard to find a decent one for an animal of her size. I think I'm just going to use a large Tupperware container or something similar. She has makeshift hide box at the moment (cardboard box) but she's taken a liking to another cozt spot in her cage.

I am feeding her two rats tomorrow. I am excited about her *road to recovery.*

Thanks to everyone who's helped me out so far!

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2002, 01:18 AM
nolagurl

Okay folks...a question....

Now that I am the proud new owner of Ryo, I am wondering what will happen when *she* finds out that I have taken her snake under my care...She will have a fit and demand her pet back but I don't want to give it back to her in fear that she will continue to abuse it. Since she abandoned it would I legally have to give it back to her?

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2002, 01:30 AM
nolagurl

Well my plan is this: if she gripes too much I'm going to tell her she needs to *stick it* or I will call the SPCA and report animal abuse, which is a felony in Louisiana. She's lucky I haven't done that yet.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2002, 01:36 AM
nolagurl

i agree; the 1st would be the funnest *evil grin* this girl also hasn't paid rent for 3 months to my friend and my friend's mom is suing (spelling?) her for rent+ utilites until the end of the lease, which ends in july. she also let her bird die and abandoned 2 kittens. if that's not reason enough for me to keep the snake then i don't know what is!

(this place needs a chat room so i don't have to keep refreshing the message board)

Tags
animal abuse, ball python, cardboard box, red tail boa, water bowl