Be An Angel And Give A Gift Of A Life Time Give Them A Roof Over Thier Heads - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

View Poll Results: How Many Of You Really Care About These Poor Dogs chained up out side?
Will you help these poor dogs? 0 0%
How Many Of You Do What They Say They Will Do? 0 0%
How Many Of You Well Act On Saving A Life? 2 100.00%
How Long Will It Take You To Act On This Issue? 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb Be An Angel And Give A Gift Of A Life Time Give Them A Roof Over Thier Heads

This winter, PETA is offering a unique opportunity for you to give a gift to a loved one that also provides a gift to an animal in need. By becoming an “Angel for Animals” sponsor (or giving the gift of a sponsorship), you can provide shelter and warmth throughout the cold winter to a lonely dog chained up outside. Please won't you help these poor lonely dogs! http://angel4animals.com/index.asp

From One True Animal Lover

Mimi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 10:12 AM
Curmudgeon

If PETA is offering it, I can tell you I am not going to contribute a dime to it.

PETA's record of killing animals and dumping them along roadsides and in dumpsters is enough to convince me that they need no funding from me ...or anyone.

They lie and decieve, they act in their interest, NOT the interest of the animals.

I give my time and money to my local shelters and other animals causes. Ones that do REAL good for animals. When PETA becomes a real advocate for animals, and not just a group of extremists that blow their own horn ...for publicity and money, then we can talk.

Until then ....no thanks!

bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Is such A shame People As Yourself Don't Believe In Organizations that really help

If PETA Lies and deceives then why dose PETA win court cases when they go into court? To defend animals who are being abused in laboratories. And frothier more people like yourself who don’t believe PETA is acting in the best interest of animals is a shame because the animals suffer not the sole called human beings who abuse them day in and day out because people don’t want to believe Peta has changed. And I’ve always known PETA to defend animals, not deceiving the public as you think they are. The only people how deceives the public is the technicians in laboratories. Food chains, captivity, and People how leave thier dogs out side in the friged cold. And so on that don’t know what the **** they are doing.

From One Tue Animal Lover

Mimi1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 01:09 PM

You do realize PETA is against people owning pets, right?

Quote:
PETA president and co-founder Ingrid Newkirk has described her group’s overall goal as “total animal liberation.” This means no meat, no milk, no zoos, no circuses, no wool, no leather, no hunting, no fishing, and no pets (not even seeing-eye dogs).
PETA's history is filled with arson and violent crime and until they shake that image and clean up their act they will have a hard time getting a lot of people on their side or to trust them.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygala
If PETA is offering it, I can tell you I am not going to contribute a dime to it.

PETA's record of killing animals and dumping them along roadsides and in dumpsters is enough to convince me that they need no funding from me ...or anyone.

They lie and decieve, they act in their interest, NOT the interest of the animals.

I give my time and money to my local shelters and other animals causes. Ones that do REAL good for animals. When PETA becomes a real advocate for animals, and not just a group of extremists that blow their own horn ...for publicity and money, then we can talk.

Until then ....no thanks!

bob
I have to say ditto to that!!!!!!!! You said it wonderfully Bob.

I know a lady who's champion show dog was hit by a car because PETA decided to release all the dogs at the show. They let them out of their kennels and "chased them away to safety". Yeah right. Some safety!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 01:36 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi1
If PETA Lies and deceives then why dose PETA win court cases when they go into court? To defend animals who are being abused in laboratories. And frothier more people like yourself who don’t believe PETA is acting in the best interest of animals is a shame because the animals suffer not the sole called human beings who abuse them day in and day out because people don’t want to believe Peta has changed. And I’ve always known PETA to defend animals, not deceiving the public as you think they are. The only people how deceives the public is the technicians in laboratories. Food chains, captivity, and People how leave thier dogs out side in the friged cold. And so on that don’t know what the **** they are doing.

From One Tue Animal Lover

Mimi1
Name me those court cases. And please, don't just post a link to the PETA site.

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

"Name Me Those Court Cases"

Skycat, No what PETA is against of is people owning pets and abuseing their pets That's what PETA is against off. And I will name you one court case that PETA has won just months ago It was The Convace case where Monkeys where geting choked, hit on, slammed back in their gages after having tubes shuft down thier noses and throats, as a resualt bleeding from thier noses becuase the tubs were to big, slaping monkeys and never getting any pain killers. And also you Know Jay Crew? in the Chinese industry who was steeling cats and dogs fur fur. Well PETA and all of the true animal lovers convinced J. Crew to end the toture of animals in fur farms he confirmed on November 30th of 204 that it will no long sell fur, no fur garments, no fur trim, no fur anything. Joining the ranks of top fashion retailers. So know you try and convince me that PETA is not ligit!

Mimi
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 05:31 PM

Please remember to keep this thread civil. I know that there are very strong feelings on both sides of the PETA discussion so please remember to respect both sides.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 07:22 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
And I will name you one court case that PETA has won just months ago It was The Convace case where Monkeys where geting choked, hit on, slammed back in their gages after having tubes shuft down thier noses and throats, as a resualt bleeding from thier noses becuase the tubs were to big, slaping monkeys and never getting any pain killers.
Mimi
I'm afraid I'm having a hard time finding references to the court case (Canvace) you mentioned. I think it's a spelling issue, ...could you elaborate more so I that I can look this up? The reason I ask, is because I think you are in error. as I can find no cases in which PETA participated successfully. They do contribute to legal fees for known and convicted terrorists, but they rarely dirty their own hands by going into court themselves. You might want to check your facts, and get back to me on that

Here are a few facts that ARE true and provable:

From July 1998 through the end of 2003, PETA killed over 10,000 dogs and cats. This animals were killed at its Norfolk, Virginia, headquarters. That's more than five animals every day. They put to death over 85 percent of the animals it took in during 2003 alone,...as far as I know, they have the WORST record of any animal protection group on the United States.

In the"Angels for Animals" campaign you started this thread with, they say "In 2004 alone, PETA built and delivered 571 special custom-made doghouses.." In the same year, they took in 2,640 animals, they adopted out only 361 of them. They KILLED 2,278!! Does that sound like they are doing good for animals to you?

Two of their employees are facing charges (31 felony counts of animal cruelty, eight misdemeanor counts of the illegal disposal of dead animals, and a charge of criminal trespassing) because their activities done while "on the clock" in a PETA owned van. They were picking up animals at other shelters (after telling the other shelters' employees that they were going to find homes for them). However, what actually done was that the animals were taken to the National Headquarters of PETA and then euthanized. The bodies of the animals were then disposed of in dumpsters.

Police actually apprehended them in the act of dumping the animals, with more in the back of the van, yet to be dumped. (Here is more info in case you're interested: PETA Kills).

PETA employees have targeted children as young as six with graphic cartoons titled "Your Mommy Kills Animals".

They have disputed science and religion, saying that Jesus was a vegetarian, which is contrary to biblical teaching, and which is patently absurd for anyone who has studied the actual history of biblical times!

They support radical, criminal organizations like Earth Liberation Front, and Animal Liberation Front (PETA gave over $70,000 to defend those convicted of burning down a Michigan State University building.)

One of PETA's campaign coordinators, Bruce Friedrich, stated, "blowing stuff up and smashing windows" is something PETA doesn't do "but I do advocate it". That sounds like a terrorist to me. When Friedrich found out that the Oklahoma City bomber, Timothy MacVeigh declined to have any meat in his last meal, Friedrich stated:“Mr. McVeigh’s decision to go vegetarian groups him with some of the world’s greatest visionaries."

In PETA's 1988 IRS Form 990. PETA listed that it contributed $7,500 to the legal defense of Fran Stephanie Trutt, convicted of possessing pipe bombs and prosecuted for the attempted murder of the president of a medical laboratory.

Ingrid Newkirk, founder of PETA was quoted in a magazine as saying: “even if animal research resulted in a cure for AIDS, we’d be against it.”

However, they don't mind when animal research help THEM. Even though PETA claims animal research is useless to the medical field, their Vice President, Mary Beth Sweetland, has no problem injecting insulin to help control her diabetes. Insulin was found, and is created solely through ANIMAL TESTING. She claims that she is not a hypocrite, but she needs her life to continue fighting for animals.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 08:36 PM

Covance news article
Lawsuit was settled
Another article

So what I get from this is that they settled the lawsuit saying they will stay out of the labs but they get to show the video all they want. I didn't see anything about the company being forced to change how the animals are treated, yet Mary Beth Sweetland, director of research and investigation for Norfolk, Va.-based PETA, called the Oct. 5 deal "a complete victory."

BTW...I already donated to the Boulder Humane Society which is a local no kill shelter, that has taken in may Katrina pets and found them homes here in Colorado. As they say think globally, work locally.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 10:23 PM
Curmudgeon

It was an out of court settlement that only covered the suit here in the US. The suit in Europe has yet to be settled. Here is the complete settlement for those interested:Settlement

What's more, PETA is forbidden to show anymore of the footage they took, they can only show this material to the government if the government asks for it. After five years, they have to destroy all of these materials. Until then, they can only show the portion of the video they've already revealed.

In those five years, PETA cannot investigate Covance or any of its affilitates, worldwide. Since that's what PETA does, I don't see how this can be considered a victory by them.

Since PETA was being sued, it looks more like it was an escape, not a victory.

And while on this subject, you said
Quote:
then why dose PETA win court cases when they go into court?"
What about this case?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Washington Times
A leading animal-rights group has lost its court fight to pull the California milk industry's popular "Happy Cows" television spots over accusations of false advertising.
The California Supreme Court refused Wednesday to review an appeal brought by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, which sued to stop the national advertising campaign featuring the talking, laid-back cows and their tag line, "Great Cheese Comes From Happy Cows. Happy Cows Come From California."
That is a short quote, the entire article is here.

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Mygala, I never said the convanc case was a victory. There was no victory where convance was concerned. I was referring to the chinese fur industry Namely J. Crew that was a huge victory.

Mimi
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 11:54 AM

Quote:
And I will name you one court case that PETA has won just months ago It was The Convace case where Monkeys where geting choked, hit on, slammed back in their gages after having tubes shuft down thier noses and throats, as a resualt bleeding from thier noses becuase the tubs were to big, slaping monkeys and never getting any pain killers.
I believe you did infact say they won this case. Winning implies a victory. Out of court settlement is not a win, its typically a loss.

We understand you believe in PETA. Great, congrats to you. However, the majority of people on this forum do not believe in or support them and likely never will. You can't change our minds anymore than we can change yours.

I will NEVER give anything to any cause that is PETA supported. To me, they are equal to terrorists. I choose to donate my money to the ASPCA and the like. JMO

Tags
animal cruelty, animal lover, animal lovers, humane society, local shelter