Beware Food From Pet Shops Check It First - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Beware Food From Pet Shops Check It First

Just Wondering About Something I Recently Bought Some Food For My Chinchillas From A Pet Shop And The Night We Fed Our Chins With It 1 Died Didnt Think Anything Of It Thought It Was Heat But We Fed Our Chins Next Night And Another Died. Didn't Feed Chins Last Night As Was At Hospital With Daughter All Of Them Was Fine We Then Went To Feed Them Tonight And Noticed Maggets In The Food, We Think This Is Why Our Two Chinchillas Died So Be Aware Keep Eye On Food
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 05:56 AM
I Dream Of Tan Title Fairies

Once I wanted to try out whether our Gunea Pigs like a special type o dry fodder pellet mix. I didn't wanted to throw away a whole bag if they didn't like the stuff. At a local pet store they offered me to weigh some hundret gramms of this food from a open box. They sell different types of animal food this way there... A few days later we had some new "inhabiters", Indian meal moths. Took a while to get rid of them...
I'll never ever will buy from this open boxes again!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

He knows the darkness and the light
The heavens and the sea
A horn we raise in welcome to
The god of ecstasy..."

Diana L. Paxson

Rest peacefully,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Cavy Boar; 07-21-2006 at 05:58 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 07:40 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

O.o
ewww
sorry to hear about your chins. i didnt think JUST eating a maggot would hurt an animal? maybe it was something else?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 10:03 PM
RAT ADDICT

Aren't maggots full of disease anyway?

I am so sorry to hear about your chins.Thats so sad!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 10:05 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

i dont think it would kill that fast. heck they put maggots on hospital patients to eat out rotten and dead tissue,etc so...
but those are specail raised maggot, but i also wouldnt think a maggot living in pet food would be so dieased. its a horrible thought none the less

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 01:52 AM
Part of the Pack

There was probably something rotten about the food that caused flies to lay eggs in it...I don't know what exactly is in chinchilla food, but possibly, one or the whole product got contaminated.
If I was you I'd have stormed in the pet store shrieking like a banchee, one loss is bad enough, but two..>.<

Tags
lay eggs, local pet store, pet food, pet shop, pet store