Bird Flu - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Angry Bird Flu

I was watching the news today, they were doing a report on bird flu and filming from Turkey. People were catching chickens etc and putting them all together into plastic bags. I just wondered if anyone else has seen this and what you thought?

Personally I think they're evil and should be put into plastic bags themselves with a load of other people and see how they like it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 12:11 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I saw that a while back on tv when they first started broadcasting images and was horrified to see them not only bundling them into plastic bags but also burying them alive. In my opinion its disgusting and there are other much ethical, kinder ways and means to dispose of animals than that. I can understand the need for distruction if they pose a threat but it can't be much to ask for a more humane way?

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Burying them alive too?! It gets worse...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 02:12 PM

I have to turn away when I see those news broadcasts. It makes me so sad to see animals being treated that way. To me, it doesn't matter whether they're dangerous, they should still be treated with respect. Like Amethyst said, there are humane ways to get rid of them. Being buried alive just seems completely unacceptable to me.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 05:27 PM

We've had discussions about this at my University and a seminar on it just before breaking up for Christmas. Although we don't agree with their methods, if the birds are infected with H5N1 then priority is getting rid of those that are infected. It's currently not communicatable human too human as of yet but it's only a matter of time before it will be and it's more than likely going to cause a panademic.

I agree, i am sure that there are humane ways of kill them but when something like this happens i guess animal welfare goes out of the window which isn't right, but what can you do
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 06:33 PM
Curmudgeon

It's always a problem when we see things like this in other countries, particularly developing countries like Turkey, and try to put our values and morals on the actions we observe. The authorities there are trying to educate people as well as act in their best interest. Children are the ones dying of H5N1, and they are pressed for time ...lives are literally at stake.

In a perfect world, it would be great to be able to take the time to gently catch and humanely euthanize every animal. But it's not a perfect world. They have to do what they have to do in order to save human lives ...which are being given precedence. That's exactly how any nation would respond ....people's lives come first.

Further, domestic animals are not alway looked at in the way most Americans look at them. We are no longer an agrarian society. Most people's only experience with domestic animals are with pets. In the developing world, and especially in the rural parts, the animals are not pets. They are there to serve the family, ...usually as food. In some parts of asia, animals are no more important than the bag your potato chips come in. They have a purpose, and then they are discarded.

From what I've seen on TV, it's not the way I would feel comfortable dealing with poultry, but then it's not my culture. What's more, they aren't my children immediatley at risk. If I was in the same situation, I can't say what I would do. However, I refuse to stand in judgement of people in such a potentially dire situation.

JMO

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

To me, animals are just as important as people if not more so. I know these birds have to die but it would be better to find a way to kill them quicky like breaking their necks rather than putting them in bags with other birds to fight and die slowly.

I also think that the news on TV should have warned us about what we were about to see because I would have changed the channel.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 06:22 PM

I saw it on the news once, I now avoid watching as I got very upset seeing it.. I agree that it they are a threat they need to be destroyed, but there must be a more humane way?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 10:50 AM

I completely agree with Mygala on the situation.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 08:49 AM

I totally agree with Steph. If this has to be done, there has to be a more humane way of doing it.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I agree, there has to be a more humane way of doing it.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 11:53 AM

It's another country and their dealing with it the only way that they know, which i agree isn't the humanest way at all but what can you do

Tags
animal welfare