Boycott Amazon - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
User Is No Longer Welcome

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 01:09 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

not to start a debate... but... it's legal for them to sell how to grow pot books, and how to change simi automatic wepons into automatic weapons... and probably how to get away with murder and everything else... all of the activities are illegal but the books arent... if the government revokes the right of certian books its not good... as the past prooves.. freedom of press is important ... its when action's fallow that the law enforcement does their job.. it does seam a bit messed up though doesnt it.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 06:22 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Amazon isn't breaking the law by selling this stuff. If they were, we wouldn't need to boycott anything, as I'm sure there would be some intervention from the authorities. They can sell these things legally, however, I would be pleased if they'd refrain from doing so on an ethical basis. I guess they just want to make some money, though.

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 06:37 PM
Part of the Pack

Amazon publishes a lot of stuff that is both for and against a lot of things. I won't buy those books. I may not buy from the publisher ever, but Amazon can sell what they want.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Mel
Cardboard Chef

Yeah, Amazon just sells books. Pretty much any book you could ever want. Now, the publishers? Boycott, sure. But I'm all for freedoms of press and speech and whatnot.

Newton 9.9.04 - Stella 5.24.06
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 11:21 AM
Curmudgeon

I don't like dogfighting or cockfighting either, but I certainly don't want Amazon to feel the need to censor their products. I treasure the first amendment, especially in times like the ones we are living in.

If the HSUS wants to do something about animal fighting, they ought to deal with the issue itself, not some retailer that's selling books and vids. If there there were no animal fighting, there'd be no vids to sell.

I think the HSUS has gotten a lot of it's priorities screwed up in the past few years, this is just another example. I no longer support them. I support their work, but as an organization, they seem to be taking questionable approaches to pretty simple problems. JMO

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 08:24 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I would have hoped that from an ethical stand point Amazon would not want to sell this type of crap. I have to say I am disappointed in them probably will no longer purchase from them. It is completely their choice and their right to sell the products but I don't really want to be associated with any company that would make money from such a horrendous "business".

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 08:35 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I didn't not use the HSUS link but I did send an email to Amazon about my feelings on this matter. It most likely will not change anything other than my own buying habits but at least I feel better.
I am just do disappointed in them.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 12:20 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I would never buy these materials and Im surprised that amazon chooses to sell them. But like Kendalle said, they do sell a lot of other things too. Amazon actually supports many forums if you go through the forum to get to their sight. I havent bought anything from amazon but I plan to in the future. Me not buying from Amazon because of them selling these magazines is like me not shopping at a grocery store anymore because they sell something I dont like.

*Missy*
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 01:36 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

no issue should be sensored i don't think. As writers should be able to write whatever they want and honestly i think some people who think cock fighting or dog fighting would be fun and buy the videos and watch as an animal fights for its life to its death.. a few might change their minds.

And i'm sure amazon sells books Pro white sepremecy and Pro black power and anti racism and pro neo nazi and all that stuff.. while i'm agenst rasism i am agenst sensorship more.. it won't eliminate the problem to not sell the books

[/CENTER]

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 06:13 AM
Curmudgeon

No matter how you frame it, if a bookseller refuses to sell items based on the bookseller's concept of right and wrong (which may be different from yours or mine), that is censorship.

And censorship is wrong, always. If you don't like something, don't buy it. But don't be telling me I can't buy just because it doesn't suit your tastes. In this case it may be some animal fighting crap, but in other places it could Silent Spring by Rachel Carson, or Farenheit 911 by Roger Moore. It's never right. Booksellers are like journalists to some extent, they are protected and obligated by the first amendment.

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.