BSL Anyone? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

BSL Anyone?

Does anyone live in an area with BSL? I live in CA and there is BSL in SF. I wanted to adopt a Pit Bull who needed a home but I'm scared that the BSL will spread.

What is it like living in an area with BSL? Can it be fought?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 06:05 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

hello could you explain what BSL is...for those like me who dont know

Lve Never Fails

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I found this article. It explains everything pretty well but it's very long.

Breed Specific Legislation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 06:36 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

oohh ok..thanks..gonna read up on it now

I too live in California. I know how lotz of people feel about pits. My neighbors baby daughter got her ear eaten by their own pet pitbull. It was really bad. She has a scared up face and has to have surgery when she is older to attach a fake ear
I myself wouldnt have a pit but i dont have anything against the breed itself. It all depends most of the time on how the dog is raised to be, IMO. Some who use these dogs for the wrong reasons seem to be ruining it for others who want a pit to love and raise right.

Just read it...very interesting.

Lve Never Fails

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 06:38 PM
Title Thief Victim

Imma ganna read it to..but I dont live in cali..i live in maine. but thats for stating what it was lol...i was to embarresd to ask!

Carissasaurus Rex
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 10:50 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Carissa, dont you have a pitbull?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 02:15 PM
Part of the Pack

I my self dont like the breed but i dont have any ofjection to any one having the breed but like luvnature said its how you bring them up and how the are well looked after but they can be well looked after and still they can or any dog can turn at one time
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 03:19 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I love pit bulls but here in cali where I live its to hard to find a place to live if you have one or to get insurance...my brothers trying to find a place now and so far everyone says no to Max but he will just keep looking...

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 03:20 PM
Title Thief Victim

yea I have a pitbull mix. I live in maine...but shes not registered as a pit

Carissasaurus Rex

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria
I my self dont like the breed but i dont have any ofjection to any one having the breed but like luvnature said its how you bring them up and how the are well looked after but they can be well looked after and still they can or any dog can turn at one time
With all due respect. I am not saying this mean, so please don't take it that way. I just don't know how anyone can claim to not like the "breed"- a pit bull is not a breed it's a group of dog breeds. I can understand if you don't know much about them then fine, but to say you don't like them is stereotyping.... and part of the problem.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carissa
yea I have a pitbull mix. I live in maine...but shes not registered as a pit
Doesnt matter what she is registered as with BSL, even if she looks like a Pit Bull type dog she will be deemed a Pit Bull.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDancer
I love pit bulls but here in cali where I live its to hard to find a place to live if you have one or to get insurance...my brothers trying to find a place now and so far everyone says no to Max but he will just keep looking...

It's so unfair, I'm sorry HappyDancer. I hope he finds something soon!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 11:13 PM
Mel
Cardboard Chef

The problem with BSL is its hard to tell if you have an actual pit or a labxterrier cross - because I've seen DOZENS of labxterriers that look just like pitties. There is no test for breed, so there's no way to know if the dog has pit in him/her.

If you HAVE an unreg'd pit, and have trouble with BSL, I'd call it a labxterrier mix - there is NO way to know if its not.

Newton 9.9.04 - Stella 5.24.06
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Well I think that the problem with BSL is that Pit Bull breeds are great dogs and it's horribly wrong to label them as vicious when it's proven that they are not. It's owners that shape their dogs, not breed.

But for those who don't own Pit Bull breeds then sure that is a problem as well.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 11:39 PM
Mel
Cardboard Chef

Oh, don't get me wrong - I think anything having to do with singling out one breed is terribly wrong.

I just meant the problem with ENFORCING it is that its next to impossible to prove that a dog is a pitbull and not a lab x terrier. For example, I know a LabxJRT that looks JUST like a pit. But I've seen both parents, and I know she's not.

Newton 9.9.04 - Stella 5.24.06

Tags
pit bull, pit bulls, terrier mix