Butterball's House of Horror ~ Literally - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

Unhappy Butterball's House of Horror ~ Literally

This is so wrong and made me think back to Horror movies I have seen, but those were fake but THIS is a true horror story. Please watch the video on this link and read on what is being done to the poor Turkeys.

http://www.butterballcruelty.com/

What the Investigators Saw

Between April and July, 2006, PETA’s investigators documented numerous acts of egregious and sadistic cruelty to animals. Below are excerpts from the investigators’ daily notes:

April 6: "Workers were cruelly slamming live birds in shackles, and one strangled a bird to death. One worker said he likes to kill birds for 'fun,' and pointed out one he had punched in the face."

April 13: "One worker was inserting his finger into a turkey's vagina [cloaca] for 'fun' during a break when the line was stopped. Another worker said he could paralyze birds by punching their necks in a certain way and demonstrated this on one bird."

April 26: "One of the more experienced and revered hangers told workers to violently slam birds into the shackles rather than just setting them in there, and did this multiple times to the same bird. He also threw birds across the room onto the concrete floor."

May 2: "One frustrated worker kicked a bird in the head and another broke a bird's neck so that her head was touching her back. He laughed about this. Another worker was slamming birds into the shackles."

May 3: "One worker swung a turkey like a baseball bat into the metal bar of the trailer. He did this again later, slamming a bird into a handrail. I could see the bird's spine and there was a lot of blood. He laughed about this."

May 8: "One worker took a live bird and stomped on her head, crushing her skull until her head exploded. He then laughed and wiped the blood from his leg. He also threw birds against the concrete and punched others."

May 16: "A worker threw birds at the concrete wall, and he and two other workers threw dead birds at the live ones."

June 5: "There was a live bird with only one leg and a bloody body in a shackle. A worker looked at her and started laughing-he had ripped her leg from her body when she became stuck between two coops."

June 8: "A worker slammed turkeys into the shackles with one hand-many missed and hit the wall."

July 13: "One worker grabbed a bird by her legs and jerked her back and forth toward another worker to tease him-the second worker grabbed her and punched her to push her back. Later, another worker grabbed the head of a live turkey poking through the coop, twisted the bird's head around and handed it to another worker, who pulled the head while the first worker punched and kicked her neck. They were trying to decapitate her."

July 25: "A worker violently threw birds into the shackles and grabbed one by her neck, and another worker humped a bird whose legs and head he had crammed into the shackle."

July 26: "One worker smashed birds into the shackles. A pool of water had collected at our ankles. The guys would throw the turkeys into the water and kick them to make them splash, then kill them to make them stop splashing."

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by GeishaGirl; 10-02-2006 at 03:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

ALSO please send a letter to Congress if you are in the USA, please help end this!!

Automatically send a letter to your member of Congress,
asking him or her to ensure that birds are covered by the HMSA.
This is a simple form that just takes a minute to fill out.

私は武井靖巣あなたをして

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 04:35 PM
Curmudgeon

If the information came from PETA, it is most likely biased, fabricated, or just plain "horse-hockey". I wouldn't waste my time to see anything PETA had on it's website. I don't believe they are above torturing animals, filming it, and then blaming it on someone else.

They certainly don't have any inhibitions against killing adoptable animals and then disposing of them in dumpsters. So why should we believe anthing they have to say?

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 05:05 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

^^I agree with Bob. I didn't watch the video but I read the logs, and I think some of it was made up.

They go to one animal farm and say that they're all bad, but in reality they're probably not.

*Missy*
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 05:57 PM
Leo
Driving Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygala
If the information came from PETA, it is most likely biased, fabricated, or just plain "horse-hockey". I wouldn't waste my time to see anything PETA had on it's website. I don't believe they are above torturing animals, filming it, and then blaming it on someone else.

They certainly don't have any inhibitions against killing adoptable animals and then disposing of them in dumpsters. So why should we believe anthing they have to say?

bob
go here for a little truth about PETA --->http://www.petakillsanimals.com/

~Ignorance can be cured with education~

Mom to:
A little girl (6) and a little boy (4), and 2 dogs
Leo and
Gunner

Proud Coastie Sister!!
My brother is in Virginia at FT school !!

RIP Ed
October 2000-November 2007

Last edited by Leo; 10-02-2006 at 06:00 PM.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

Actually, that site (petakillsanimals.com) is made from the Center for Consumer Freedom, The site is fabricated to make PETA look bad with very little factual information.

They took one story and ran with it. I am with PETA and I know for a fact they made up half the things there, as the head of this company is loosing money from the investigations PETA does. They have no new info to report as they took a story and made it out bigger than what it was, then taking in money to help them expose PETA, but they are just pocketing the money for themselves.

This video is a posting of a investigation one did on BUTTERBALL, and there is factual video proof. This "PetaKillsAniamals" site has no proof unlike PETA does. Video is more believable than words. I just posted this info as it was appalling on what these people were doing to these turkeys.

Consumer Deception

Here is some info on this:

-----------------------------------------------------------
ANDREW PORTER, a spokesman for the Center for Consumer Freedom in Washington, tells The Free Lance-Star the group is running the Web site PETAkillsanimals.com "To expose what we believe is hypocrisy on PETA's part.

"The organization constantly attacks everyone from restaurants to consumers for harming animals. Come to find out, PETA's doing the same thing."

Two North Carolina workers for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals have been charged with animal cruelty for the manner in which they euthanized and disposed of the bodies of dogs and cats.

PETA says the animals were sick or unadoptable. The CCF believes at least some of the pets were adoptable, Porter says.

"You can quibble about the means," he says, but he argues that PETA is doing the same kind of thing for which it condemns others.

"The group was caught doing something they know is not right, or at least looks hypocritical," Porter says.

The Center for Consumer Freedom is run by Washington Richard B. "Rick" Berman, a former labor lawyer and restaurant industry executive who is a lobbyist for the food, alcoholic beverage and tobacco industries.

In the late '80s, Berman fought the Americans with Disabilities Act, saying it threatened to cripple the hospitality industry.

The CCF has repeatedly attacked PETA in the past in the name of "consumer freedom."

"PETA kills animals--and its leaders dare lecture the rest of us," the Berman-connected PETAkills animals.com Web site says.

PETA isn't shy about responding on its own Web site, saying, "Berman has been called 'a tobacco company *****,' but he's branched out since then."

PETA spokesperson Colleen O'Brien says the CCF and its Web sites are funded by big food conglomerates such as Phillip Morris.

The CCF's Porter doesn't dispute that, but insists the funding question is "a straw man."

Of the CCF, PETA's O'Brien said: "These are the same people who have campaigned against Mothers Against Drunk Driving. They're representing the very companies that PETA's asking to make changes."

-----------------------------------------------------------

I did my investigation on those people and they are bad people, who don't care about anything as long as they make money. Come on, going against Mothers Against Drunk Driving?

USA Today post on CCF

PETA’s recent successes in gaining fast-food industry concessions for more humane conditions for farm animals have sent ripples of fear through the food and beverage service industry. About the same time that McDonald’s buckled to PETA’s demands, Richard Berman changed his front group’s name and stepped up his attacks.

The key to Berman’s aggressive strategy is, in his own words, “to shoot the messenger ... we’ve got to attack their credibility as spokespersons,”—an interesting remark from someone whose background and funding so severely challenge his own credibility.

私は武井靖巣あなたをして

Last edited by GeishaGirl; 10-03-2006 at 12:19 PM.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 11:25 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygala

bob
Agrees!

I dislike PETA very much.They lie alot to get people to hand money and donations over.They do not agree with people owning pets and they over exagarrate (sp?) many things.Plus they say that ALL farms or whatever are bad,when in reality not every farm is bad.My old friends live on a farm and I stayed there for a week.They raise their animals wonderfully and shear their own sheep and everything and everything they do is humane and nothing like what PETA says that all farms are like...

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 11:36 PM
Obsessed with Criss Angel

Also I am against what PETA says.
They spawn a group of "eco terriorists" pretty much.
Myself,I'm into animal welfare.I won't eat meat but I wont shove my morals down someone's throat.
& PETA has fabricated the truth way too many times for me to take them seriously.
I like to research & come to my own conclusions
Was Paul Mccartney & his wife here because of PETA last year due to the seal fishery?
(Newfoundland I mean, well no they SAiD they were in Newfoundland but they were informed they were not! )
They had an awful lot of facts wrong on that.An animal rights group fed them lies.
My family got targeted too btw on that,because they are fisherpeople.
There was some animal rights people actually going to kill fishermen a few years in a row now.
Thats a bit much.

You cannot believe everything.

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

Well I just go by what good they have done. I really dont want to stur up probems against PETA but when I seen this I thought to post the link to the video as I seen it and it is horrible. This was not put up to debate on PETA, I just put it up as a sick thing I seen and whatever...I guess this don't matter to anyone...

私は武井靖巣あなたをして

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 12:17 AM
Obsessed with Criss Angel

It DOES matter!
No animal should be treated inhumanely in the least.

Turkeys make great pets too btw.
Theyre intelligent.
I feel so bad when I see ppl serving them around the hoildays

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 12:21 AM
RAT ADDICT

I love turkeys...they are very cute!I am vegetarian and would never harm or eat an animal ever again...but I dislike PETA and I don't even bother to go look at anything they say anymore,as it really annoys me...I know things like this go on,but I don't need to hear it from THEM!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

So pretty much if they never did this everyone would listen...I cannot not listen to them as they are trying to help these animals. And who ever is saving animals I will support their cause. That is what I believe and now I can at least warn some people not to let big corp's win and at least ask people to use an alternative to Butterball, or write into congress (my second post) to have the laws changed where animals like these turkeys (and other animals in Factory Farms) have a right to not be tortured and given, in the very least, a humane death. And that is why I placed it here.

If we turn a blind eye to this problem it will not get any better. I cannot send a letter to them as I am not from the USA, so i wanted to put it here so people who are can send some letters to help change laws and make it more humane for these turkeys...that was all...no money involved...

You can help protect birds by filling out the form on this link, which will automatically send a letter to your representative in Congress asking him or her to ensure that birds are protected by the HMSA.

私は武井靖巣あなたをして

Last edited by GeishaGirl; 10-04-2006 at 12:37 AM.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 05:38 AM
Crazy Woman Driver

Well, there seems to be some debate here and I don't know the truth. If it is true then its disgusting and if I was in the USA I would certainly be writing once I'd checked my facts.

Couldn't bring myself to watch the video though, the words were enough

Caroline
( Just two of my many alter egos )

I
my new job and my girls, Polly puss cat
and Isis puss cat

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 09:36 AM
Leo
Driving Diva

So was your point not to eat turkey at all or not to buy turkey from Butterball?
In the USA we have several other options of where to get our turkey than Butterball ... For those of you outside the USA please don't think that this is how we treat all our meat products, this video may or may not even be a real butterball plant (and if it was this is not their normal practice of keeping animals).... If animals were really treated that way on a regular basis, there would be HUGE stories about it in our national news and they would be shut down for that kind of treatment. All USA farms that produce both meat and human grade food have inspections done on their facilities by government officials on a regular basis... If they saw those type of practices more than likely someone in the media would have been notified and they would have been shut down and people arrested for cruelty to animals.

The OP doesn't live in the USA and is actually quite far from our borders I am guessing they have never actually visited a normal USA turkey farm (or other farm) themselves. I have visited several both turkey and other farms in several states (MI, NY, PA & OH) and have NEVER seen even close to those type of conditions, and they were all very clean facilities. So please don't think we are horrible people that always abuse animals before we eat them, or even support those kind of practices. Because we don't! In general most farmers are not out to provide a cruel and horrible life for these animals they want them to live as healthy of a life as possible... think about it healthy birds (and animals) will bring more $$ than sick birds that look horrible. Attacking US farmers is IMO ridiculous. Which IMO is what that video is all about.

~Ignorance can be cured with education~

Mom to:
A little girl (6) and a little boy (4), and 2 dogs
Leo and
Gunner

Proud Coastie Sister!!
My brother is in Virginia at FT school !!

RIP Ed
October 2000-November 2007

Last edited by Leo; 10-05-2006 at 09:38 AM.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 12:14 PM
Curmudgeon

Well put Ally, great response.

I might also add, Dawna,that if you are really concerned, you could file a complaint with the USDA, whose job it is to investigate alleged instances such as the one above. I know our local inspectors, and they would shut down in a heartbeat any facility like the one described. That is the kind of tactic that really works, Internet petitions and such are just a waste of time.

I do find it clever marketing (and that's all PETA realy is, a self-marketing/self-promoting organization) that they encourage people to complain to their legislators THROUGH the PETA website. This gives lawmakers the illusion that PETA wields more power than it really does.

I can say from decades of experience, that people who work with animals professionally almost universally despise PETA and it's terroristic tactics. This includes everyone from vets to zoo profesionals, zoology professors, pet store owners, and farmers. PETA and its fanatic supporters serve no one but PETA, they help no animals, they only help PETA raise more money. Anyone who actively challenges them is immediately labled as a spokesperson for "the industry", even though this is not necessarily true.

Many people who work in the medical or food industries ARE actively defending themselves against PETA. They would be stupid to just sit there and not point out how hypocritical PETA is, both in its stands and how it uses its funds. Just because someone is in an industry that is opposed to PETA and its agenda does not mean that the facts about PETA are wrong. ...as PETA and its supporters would like you think.

I judge an organization by what it does, not by what it says. All PETA does is say things. What do they really DO to help animals with that budget of tens of millions of dollars they take in each year? If you look as PETA's annual report to the government, you'll find that they spend only a tiny percent of their budget on anything that is truly animal related. They spend their money on marketing the PETA name through their so-called educational programs, or things like huge billboards in Times Square that (again) are just marketing the PETA name, not really accomplishing anything for animals.

I don't see billboards of a partially clad Pamela Anderson as something that helps animals. If you think that kind of thing helps, then why don't you take a trip to an animal shelter and explain it to the a dog as it's being put on the table to be put to sleep. See how much of a difference that makes for THAT animal.

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.

Tags
animal cruelty, animal rescue, animal shelter, animal welfare, farm animals, fur babies, pet owner, pet store