Canadian Seal hunt - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
User Is No Longer Welcome

Thumbs down Canadian Seal hunt

Harpseals.org -- Working to end the Canadian harp seal hunt

*The link does have some graphic pictures.*

Yesterday was the first day of the seal hunt. Just wanted to share some info about seal hunting and what you can do to help.

How very depressing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 11:59 AM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

I HATE the seal hunt. I think it should be ended as it is not nessesary and cruel. I think the only time anything should be hunted should be for personal use like the Inuit or people who use all of the animal. It is so cruel and a waste to go out and kill so many animals for the fur industry. It is sick! It should got the way of the Hunting of Whales!!

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 12:17 PM
Will It Ever Change?

I'd say that any hunting for sport is bad, but some "sport hunting" is done in seasons, to help keep the populations at an equilibrium. I know the seal hunt is just a gross hunt, i hate it, baby seals are cute, yadda yadda, you know my stance. some inuit also hunt whale, many hunt caribou, it's all a balance of life. but again, this for-fun kill the babies seal hunt, yuck yuck , shame shame, god now knows your name.

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 01:52 PM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

Yeah I just disagree with hunting for fashion, I think hunting for yourself or family to sustain life is ok but with the way this hunt is it is just for material gain and with the St.Lawrence Ice being so bad...were already loosing a lot of pups now and we could see seals finding it harder and harder to live and then hunting them. May see the Harp Seal on the endangered species list b/c of hunting and global warming

私は武井靖巣あなたをして

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 04:29 PM
Playful Pup

I heard about it on PETA, and they're trying to stop it, too. I signed their petition, or whatever they had. I also put a link to PETA's article on it on my website.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 12:31 AM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

12 THINGS YOU CAN DO TO STOP THE CRUEL SEAL HUNT

1. If you haven't already, add any or all of these profiles to your myspace friends: Stop the Seal Hunts, The Muse, Seal Action, SAVE ME, HARPSEALS.ORG, Delphine, crystalblueice. If you know of other myspace profiles dedicated to stopping the seal hunt, or if you are one and we've left you out, please let us know!

2. Join the international boycott of Canadian seafood products. You can start by signing the pledge, which can be found at Stop Canada's Seal Hunt. The HSUS will deliver your pledge to Canada's government so the politicians will know you've joined our international Protect Seals team to end the hunt. If you would like to ask a restaurant near you to join the boycott, you can print out a PDF version of our pledge for seafood professionals and have them sign it.

3. Sign the petition to urge the Canadian Prime Minister to stop the hunt.

4. Directly contact the Canadian Prime Minister, Stephen Harper:

Prime Minister's Office
Right Honorable Stephen Harper
Office of the Prime Minister
80 Wellington St.
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1A OA2

1-613-992-4211 Fax: 613-941-6900
E-mail: [email protected] or [email protected]

5. Write, fax, e-mail, or call the nearest Canadian embassy. If you are not a U.S. citizen, you can look up the Canadian embassy in your nation. The contact information for the embassy in Washington, D.C., is below:

The Honourable Micheal Wilson
Office of the Ambassador
Canadian Embassy
501 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20001

202-682-1740
Fax: 202-682-7701, 202-682-7678
[email protected]

Click here for suggested points you can make.

6. Don't vacation in Canada. Consider instead spending your tourist dollars in a nation that does not actively promote the barbaric slaughter of wildlife. Write to the Canadian Tourism Commission and the Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism Office to explain why you've made this decision.

Canadian Tourism Commission
Four Bentall Centre, Suite 1400
1055 Dunsmuir Street, Box 49230
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada V7X 1L5
604-638-8300

E-mail: Use the Contact Us form on Canadian Tourism Commission (CTC)

Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism
P.O. Box 8700
St. John's, NL Canada A1B 4J6

1-800-563-6353
E-mail: [email protected]

7. Tell Canada's Department of Fisheries and Oceans that the world knows the truth about the cruelty of the seal hunt and wants it shut down for good.

The Hon. Loyola Hearn
Minister of Fisheries and Oceans
House of Commons
Suite 648-S, Centre Block
Ottawa, Ontario Canada K1A 0A6

1-613-992-0927 or 1-613-992-3474
Fax: 1-613-995-7858
E-mail: [email protected]

8. Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper protesting the seal hunt. Click here for suggested points you can make.

9. Ask the designers who use seal fur and skin to stop providing a financial incentive for the seal hunt.

10. Support The HSUS's efforts to stop Canada's slaughter of seals.

11. A picture is worth a thousand words, so use the new 39 cent seal stamp to mail all your correspondence. Friends and loved ones will love the look and it will help spread the word about the ProtectSeals campaign.

12. Tell everyone you know about the seal hunt, and ask them to sign the pledge to boycott Canadian seafood and contact the Canadian government to demand the hunt stop. One way to spread the word is to download a PDF of the ProtectSeals brochure and leave copies in public places.

TOGETHER WE CAN STOP THE CRUELTY!!!!

Also visit HERE for videos on the ongoing hunt, shows VIDEO PROOF on how these animals are being killed and which ones are really targeted (hint: Adults and babies as young as 3 mths)

私は武井靖巣あなたをして

Last edited by GeishaGirl; 04-09-2007 at 12:35 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 12:33 AM
Playful Pup

Wow, thank you. I'll do as many as a 13-year-old can do .
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 01:35 AM
Playful Pup

The Humane Society of the United States has some images, buddy icons, etc.:

ProtectSeals Downloads | The Humane Society of the United States
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 06:21 PM
Playful Pup

I just found this:

www.myspace.com/sealhunt
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 11:33 PM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

Added them! I am in Newfoundland and I do not agree with the hunt. I have always been against anything like that and when you see videos, well it speaks LOUDER than words b/c you cannot make it up from that!! I wish you luck Angela. I hope within a few years the hunts will end as there is no need for it.

私は武井靖巣あなたをして

Tags
endangered species, humane society