Commercial Dog and cat food - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
laugh often

Commercial Dog and cat food

While researching reasons for daisy's new aggression I found this on google video. If you type dog food secrets you can find more info but this is just one link to a video I found.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?...en&emb=1&aq=f#

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 05:04 PM

I have often found myself disgusted at commercial pet foods. Its hard to find a decent pet food (whether it be dry or wet) that doesn't have some weird or harmful things in it! While trying to find a food that didn't aggravate my dogs allergies I came across the most disturbing things. Like that Iams was using "recycled pets" as filler at one point.....eew! Ground up puppies and kitties for the sake of cheap filler? Gag!

I have reached 20 posts so I'm pretty sure I am allowed to post links now. If I'm wrong I apologize!!

Disturbing But Not Graphic (This link has to be copied and pasted, I cant get it to work any other way):

http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/local/story.html?id=efd97360-23b6-4773-89f4-d47d94f3bbad

General Info:

http://www.vegalitarian.org/pages/Pet_Food

Another thing that worried me was how Greenie treats can build up in your pets stomache and kill them. 10% of the material is indigestible and it gets stuck plugging the dog up and eventually killing it :\ They dont say that on the package!

Greenie Info:
http://www.showdog-magazine.com/alerts/greenies.htm

Some other side effects of bad food can cause;
Behavioral changes, vomiting, diarrhea, ear infections, ulcers, cancer and numerous other things. Whats a pet owner to do?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 06:54 PM

I tend to not believe propaganda
I have heard about it though. I am not too worried about it myself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 08:25 PM
Curmudgeon

I am always amazed at how quickly people will believe stuff they read on the internet. Maybe it's because some folks just want to believe in the outlandish.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 09:00 PM
RAT ADDICT

I watched a TV show on the pet food industry and read a book and alot of foods on the market do have alot of crap in them.I cannot remember the name of the book or the show now,as it was some time ago...I wish I could remember their titles now though!

That being said,I do feel commercial food because I am not sure if a raw diet would be the best option in my situation as it can be time consuming and espensive and from the stuff I have read about raw diets,some pets do not even do well on these diets anyway!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 10:28 PM
Curmudgeon

Lisa,

You aren't what I was referring to. I was laughing at the "recycled pets" as filler comment. A story that outlandish (and the fact that somebody is gullible enough to believe it!), just cracks me up!

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 04:14 AM
RAT ADDICT

Oh,sorry.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygala View Post
Lisa,

You aren't what I was referring to. I was laughing at the "recycled pets" as filler comment. A story that outlandish (and the fact that somebody is gullible enough to believe it!), just cracks me up!

Bob

I didnt say I believed the Iams comment, just that it was disturbing. I do have qualms about dry food though as I have had problems with several brands. I do believe the Greenies story and the article about the woman who boiled the shoes, motor oil and wood chips or whatever it was.
As for Raw diets being better or worse it depends on the food and the dog thats eating it. I have my dogs on a raw diet that is 100% made by me and my family. From raising the cattle to butchering and packaging its all done by us.

Last edited by Taralupe; 09-16-2009 at 03:45 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 05:45 AM
Playful Pup

I saw a cute pet food commercial which shows a black lab which is so lonely and when her owners saw the lab, they gave her the product and the dog smile and rolled over with joy.

are like potato chips, you really can't have just one…
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 03:54 PM
Newborn Pup

don't trust everything you see and read on the net. Motto to live by Trust but Verify!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Playful Pup

I agree! I'm a victim of fake ads and info. We must be aware and conscious that not everything is reliable.

are like potato chips, you really can't have just one…

Tags
animal welfare