Cruelty to the little ones... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Cruelty to the little ones...

Not sure if this fits here or in rants, but I HAD to vent...

I went to this great little local petstore this weekend... they don't sell animals, mostly just dog and cat stuff. Went in to get a brush and some toys for Drizzt... the girl who works there is a big small animal lover, and asked if I wanted to adopt a rat or two. We really don't have the time/ space for another new animal right now, but I'm considering because....

I live/work on a college campus. This past weekend, a couple of guys went to a big pet store somewhere in the city, bought about a dozen rats, and SET THEM FREE IN A SORORITY HOUSE. by the time rescuers arrived, girls were actually trying to stomp on them. So this girl has a bunch of poor little rats living with her.

WHO WOULD SELL THESE GUYS A DOZEN RATS???? shouldn't that raise suspicions??????????? and who would do that. I just recently lost my little pet rat, but I have never had a sweeter more emotional little animal in my life. I'm so upset. IF anyone in the South Chicago area wants a rat, I can put you in touch with one....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

George orwell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 06:55 AM
RAT ADDICT

I am sorry to hear your upset.It is sad.
However ANYONE can walk into a pet store and buy a dozen rats with no questions asked.They could be for feeders (I am not against that),pets (but as much as I am a crazy rat lasy I wouldn't buy that many pet rats from a store in one time...vet bills galore!) and sadly idiots like those guys that released them on campus!

Pet stores don't screen people and most ppl don't care anyway...as long as they make a buck.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 07:11 AM
Rodentologist

That's why I don't spend any money if I can absolutely help it in a store that sells animals.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 08:51 AM
Betta Bomb

that is sooo sad. hun, did the rats get rescued? thats too bad,i would put a complaint in to the store about the sale.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

hey, hadn't checked up on this in a while... yeah from what i hear the ratties found homes and a complaint was filed. let's hear it for the awesome girl who took them all in at once!!!

George orwell
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 08:30 AM
Betta Bomb

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 09:11 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

What is wrong with people?
I am so glad to hear that they have a proper home.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 06:26 PM
Part of the Pack

The guys who did that need their heads checked! Who in the world would do something so terrible!!?!

That girl took in ALL the rats? What an angel! That's so awesome, especially considering the circumstance! *applauds*

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 08:31 PM
Part of the Pack

God, its insane! I wish I had room and lived in that area and I would take one .Many people have some idea that rats are dirty, scary, and that since most are only about four dollars that they dont deserve proper care. People call me stupid for bringing my rat and mouse to the vet, but who is to put a price on a life? Congratulations to the girl that took in all those rats. Its good that they all survived! Thank goodness for people like her.

give your love no matter what.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 09:08 AM
RAT ADDICT

Yeah,I have been looked down upon for taking rats to the vet.People think "it is a $10 rat - why pay alot of money and vet care when you can just get another?".When I took rats to the vet,people have thought I was crazy! Oh well.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 08:37 PM
Part of the Pack

Just wanted to say I love the name of your pet - Drizzt.

I love that series. R.A. Salvatore is an excellent writer.

As for the rats, people think using frogs/rats/mice etc to scare people is fine, probably because of the low price tag that they do carry. *sigh* Thank goodness that sweetie was there to take them all in. I know I'd probably be rushing to a store to get some bins to use as temp cages in her situation, too.

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 06:23 AM
Newborn Pup

Advice

This is really very bad and cruel.I think all the animals lover will find it disgusting.I am happy that those rats are survived and thank to that girl.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 03:01 PM
Newborn Pup

Cruelty to the big ones too. I just saw on my news about a horse someone drug behind their truck
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 03:01 PM
Newborn Pup

They haven't caught him yet
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 03:02 PM
Newborn Pup

The owner of the horse came home and found him that way. Sad sad sad