Do I have a right to be mad about this? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Friend to All Animals

Do I have a right to be mad about this?

So at school we have tons of animals; large and small.
We have

SMALL ANIMALS
-2male Albino rabbits
-1female Albino rabbit
-2male brown rabbits
-1female brown rabbit
-1male black and white floppy-eared rabbit
-1white Gerbil
-4Degus

LARGE ANIMALS
-2 adolescent hogs
-2dozen chickens

So as far as I can see, the small animals are treated worse than the big animals. The big animals get taken to the vet when they become ill but the small animals don't receive any medication or personal care whenever they get ill.
We had 1Rat, 1Salamander, and 1Leopard Gecko a lil while ago. The rat got sick and stopped eating and it was obviously ill as it had discharge coming from its mouth and nose. It was not taken to the vet and it died.
The salamander was starved-the teacher would not get crickets for it and it also dehydrated and died. So it died of neglect.
The Leopard Gecko got extremely bloated, stopped eating, and was unable to go to the bathroom and was not taken to the vet, and died.
1 of the hogs didn't eat for 2days and it was immediately taken to the vet and placed on yogurt to persuade it to eat. It would hardly eat the yogurt and it ended up biting a few people but people continued to feed it anyway. It is doing better now.

The large animals (in my point of view) receive better cages than the small animals. The small animals get cheap, cedar wood chips, which can cause respiratory infections. The rabbit pans only get cleaned once a week, which becomes very smelly, whereas the pig and chicken pens get cleaned every day. The rabbits' water bottles are green with filth whereas the chickens' and hogs' water buckets and such are nearly spotless.
The small animals are occasionally forgotten and are not fed every day whereas the large animals are fed every day. The small animals get the cheapest and probably most unhealthiest food brands possible whereas the large animals get more expensive and more healthy brands of food.
So as far as I can see, the small animals receive less and worse care than the large animals. Do you guys agree?
Should I be mad about this?
I have been working on a routine where I go in after school, clean rabbit pans, refresh and clean water bottles, refill foods, clip rabbit nails, clean cages, and all that good stuff.
I'm still concerned about the lack of nutrition and health in their diets and homes but am unsure what I am able to do about that.
Share your concerns please. :\
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 10:55 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Is this a high school?

Why do they have any animals in the school?

You shouldn't be mad that the simply small animals aren't getting as good of care or the large animals are being favored... you should be mad in general that all animals are being improperly cared for. If its a high school i wouldn't think they would have enough room to house all of those animals properly, nor are they getting enough attention. I would contact the animal control.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 12:42 PM
Adolescent Pup

Yes, you SHOULD be mad about this. It's great for schools to have animals in the classrooms, but it's doubly important for them to set an example of ideal care for them, while using them to further education. It is illegal for them to not provide vet care for sick animals, and certainly illegal for them to allow an animal in their care to starve to death. I recommend you go to the Principal and share your concerns with him. If he fails to act to correct the conditions, then speak with your local animal control or humane society, and ask them how to proceed to get this problem addressed. The people responsible need to be taught that they cannot treat smaller animals as disposable. In an education setting, or any other setting, it's not excusable.

I promote keeping small animals in classrooms, and the educational opportunities it affords in elementary and high schools are important, but they MUST be cared for appropriately. It is the law.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Newborn Pup

hmmm this is interesting. but I kind of agree with Kendalle. Your school doesn't need to have all those animals. It's okay to have class pets, but it's not okay to have so many that they all can't get cared for equally. Call the animal control right away, if it's obvious that many of them are sick/neglected.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 03:15 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

with so many animals who takes them on breaks, who takes care of them on weekends. Who pays for vet care, who pays for Food. the school budget shouldn't be spent on pig food instead of art class in my opinion. Plus allergies, many people have hay allergies, and dander allergies.

We had animals in the class room when i was little and i loved it... but now i don't feel that they get enough care. They don't get enough time out of their pens, little hands drop them, pet too hard, and if one bites a kid it is a law suit waiting to happen. I think better class room pets would be a snake or hermit crabs where they can be happy and safe inside an enclosure that they can learn from.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 05:57 PM
Adolescent Pup

In some cases, children are selected to take the animals home to care for on breaks, and in others, the teachers who are responsible for them do so.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Friend to All Animals

i was kind of debating about talking to the principal about this... thank-you for confirming you guys...
i'm am sad to report that few of the animals get taken home for breaks and such... on weekends they are given full food and water and cleaned out on Fridays but the teacher just hopes that they don't run out over the weekend
over the 4day break that we are currently having, the teacher is performing the same actions... i felt bad for the school's gerbil so i brought her home
i am going to ask the teacher if i can keep the gerbil and hopefully i will soon see about talking to the principal... can anybody help me with a good conversation starter? i am a naturally shy person and am not good about speaking my opinion, especially when it is accusing someone of doing sumthing
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have a FFA program? The FFA might help you with any animal welfare issues. Why does your school have so many Rabbits?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

I'd be very worried about the animals being left for days without anyone even checking up on them.

If you're shy what about writing a letter to the principle expressing your concerns? You could even do some research about each animal and print it out to show them proof of what is being done wrong.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Friend to All Animals

We have an FFA program and they are actually the people that are supposed to be taking care of them! I don't know we have so many rabbits but it's ridiculous! And the teacher has to go and get the 3Females pregnant as well!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 09:16 AM
Newborn Pup

I hear you about being shy and speaking your opinion, especially against someone (and ESPECIALLY against authority figures!) I would LOVE to be a lawyer, but well...not gonna happen lol Anyways, if you are having a hard time with it, I would honestly just call the Humane Society or the SPCA, or write them a letter, or even talk to your parents and get them to do it. It's completely unfair for any animal to be neglected, and they clearly need to be rehomed.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 09:06 AM
Betta Bomb

Oh my goodness! How horrible. I bet the rabbits aren't neutered either, are they?

Write a letter and attach some care sheets and hand it to the principle. Maybe find a farm that will take the pigs so they can live a real piggy life out in fields grazing etc. The rabbits might be harder to place if they're bit fixed, but maybe a rescue could take them. Do you have a reptile rescue?

It sounds like the school had good intentions but things got out of hand. No school has that kind of budget.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Friend to All Animals

maybe i will go for that... the rabbits aren't nuetered; that's how the females got pregnant

Tags
animal welfare, discrimination, illness, neglect