do shelters need a/c and heating? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

do shelters need a/c and heating?

I found this interesting. Someone at work was going off about how stables don't have heating and a/c. I have never heard of such a thing and all of the horse people agreed that it was kind of stupid

Then someone brought up how our city shelter has outdoor kennels with no heating and a/c. I told them that the county shelter doesn't keep most of their dogs in such an environment either and that they didn't really need to. They even have a cattery with some cages outside. Really...it rarely snows here and everyone is given plenty of fresh air and cool water for the summer. Special needs animals are always priority on the foster list or indoor kennels.

I do notice that most other animals (not dogs, cats, or horses) are kept in temp controlled areas.

So what do you think? Do shelters need to "get with it" and get a/c or heating or are they fine how they are?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Herp Nerd

Around here most shelters have indoor catteries with A/C, and outdoor dog kennels with large fans for ventilation and air circulation, and misters for cooling. Generally the care areas for sick animals are all air conditioned, as are the area for animals like rabbits. It gets way too hot to not have something.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

our shelter has heating and air and all indoor kennels. but it gets to -30 degrees and up to 100 degrees

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

Interesting. Yeah the coldest it gets here is like 32*F and that is at night in December/January. I have never visited a shelter in December but I will find out what that is like this upcoming winter.

Here in the summer I think its just cold water. Our city/county shelters are really struggling and the government isn't helping.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Our local shelters have A/C and heating. It's definitely necessary since it gets to be over 100 degrees F in the summer and below 0 in the winter.

I could understand not having it in places with a mild climate but then again, there are a lot of breeds that do poorly in cold/hot temperatures. Pugs and other breeds with short snouts can't tolerate heat and there a lot of breeds that don't handle the cold (especially small breeds).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Same here - our summers can get very hot and our winters very cold, so all the shelters I've ever dealt with in this area do use AC and heating.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 03:19 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Here, we don't really need heating for it rarely snow and doesn't get that cold. But heating and a/c should be a must for areas that has harsh weather..

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 06:26 PM
Newborn Pup

The shelters in this area do have heating and A/C. Many of the large animal facilities are temperature controlled as well.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 11:51 PM
Resident Zoologist

Both are quite necessary here for everything from caged pets to horses....summers hit as high as 40C/104F and winters get as low as -40C/-40F.

G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Aquarist since 1971
Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta (Est. 1994)

Past-president, Calgary Aquarium Society (Est. 1951)

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 01:33 PM
Newborn Pup

I think we need both ...