Dog ownership issue - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Dog ownership issue

In August 2014 we gave our 2 year old pit-bull to a friend because our landlord didn't allow him there. He had just his shots so he was good till Feb 2015 we gave him to him the the understanding that he would change chip etc etc to his name for ownership. In September 2014 not even a month later he was killed in a motorcycle accident/ We let his then roommate keep the dog with the same understanding to change chip and tags since she had grown attached.

I recently received an email telling me our dog was over due for rabies shots. Imagine my surprise when I call the chip company to find out the dog is still in our name and obviously hasn't been updated on shots since his due date of 2/2015. He is almost 2 years over due.

What can I do legally. Not only is she effecting his health but never changed his chip and now I bought a house so Im pretty sure Im liable to any claims if he should attack or bite someone...

Can anyone advise what I can do??? Shes ignoring my requests to return the dog or take to vet

Last edited by csanchez76; 12-16-2015 at 11:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 08:19 PM
Playful Pup

Can you call the company that you got the chip from and let them know that you no longer have the dog?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 02:22 PM
Newborn Pup

Yes as stated above you could call the chip company and advice that you no longer have the dog and have told the new owners various times to change that with no reply, sometimes they will change it on the previous owners word.

If you want to get drastic you could also get the authorities involved and forcefully take back the dog, technically it's still your dog since the chip is under your name
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 10:26 AM
Newborn Pup

I think you should call back the new owner ask them to change the ownership of your pet. You should do this from the very start. If they cannot take good care of your pet then you can take him back, you are still the owner anyway.

Tags
ownership