Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Would you move to another state where your pets are legal if they became illegal?

• Yes

Votes: 106 78.5%
  • No

Votes: 29 21.5%
43K views 98 replies 56 participants last post by  Arwen10 
#1 ·
I have sent this letter I created to some exotic vets, and info@aemv.org. Please reply to this post with any emails concerning the matter of banning exotic pets. This is not right, and cannot happen any longer as it is in the U.S. and Canada...Please write a letter yourself also...My letter can be cross-posted as long as my name and such is included... Well here it is:

"
Hello,

My name is Corina Van Camp. I am living in New York State. I own chinchillas and plan on getting hedgehogs, both of them being exotic animals. I hear of the government banning exotic animals in many locations, recently in both the United States and Canada. These animals are not only our pets, but our babies! They are part of the family. We love them very much, and take care of them, and their needs. I do not support this act. We should not be punished for the acts of irresponsible animal owners that neglect or abuse their pets. Our pets should not be punished either. I also know that if you were to ban exotic animals in this state, I would be moving to another state, and bringing my animals with me. Not all animals carry diseases and such, and eventually we are going to have no pets at all, not even dogs or cats. Animals are the ones who comfort people and listen to you when humans don't. They are the ones with opening ears and hearts. There are many people that are worried about this matter, and do not want this happening. Just of my friends, close ones at that; they own:

Chinchillas

Hedgehogs

Prairie Dogs

Sugar Gliders

Flying Squirrels

etc. All being exotics.

I also plan on being a vet in the next years to come, if you ban exotic pets how many people will be out of jobs? Maybe not many, but they do need to support their family, and themselves. They love their jobs too, and some of them owning exotic animals themselves. I am not only being a vet, but specializing in exotic animals. Also there are many pet stores that sell chinchillas, and hedgehogs, not that this is always a good thing, but they will be having less, and less animals to support their business'. Some exotic animals are also used in educational ways. You do not want to take away children's education...do you? Also animals possibly able to catch and carry the disease monkey pox besides prairie dogs that aren't exotics, are rabbits, rats, etc. Your not trying to ban these animals, or caring to. You shouldn't need to either, but you shouldn't be trying to ban exotics. All of these animals are very important to many.

Thank you for listening, and I am looking forward to your reply concerning this matter. I am not just representing myself, and my animals, but many other people too, and all the people that think about writing a letter, but never do.

-Corina"

See less See more
#52 ·
Let's just throw our exotics at shelters and let them die because of the over-populated shelters (sarcasm)!

A ton of people have exotic pets. If states banned exotics, many animals would be thrown into out-of-state shelters. That'd mean WAY more less room in shelters, and even MORE euthanasia!

If guinea pigs ever get banned in Pennsylvania, I don't know what I'd do. I'd be willing to move, but I don't think my mom would be able to afford it and get a job.

And what about people who own lizards? Are they just supposed to dump them into shelters?

Whoever thought of banning exotics is ridiculous. They have not considered the consequences, except for a few diseases. Diseases control the already over-populated human population.

There are just so many things wrong with crap like this.

#53 ·
HI,I LIVE IN DUQUESNE AND I AGREE WITH YOU THEY SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO BAN FARM ANIMALS I HAVE 2 POTBELLY PIGS AND THE BORO PASSED A NEW LAW LAST YEAR SAYING POTBELLY PIGS AND FARM exotic ANIMALS ARE BANNED SO THE 1 IS GRANDFATHER IN BUT THE OTHER ONE I HAVE TO REMOVE IN 20 DAYS OR I WILL BE FINED 600.00 A DAY FOR EACH DAY THE ANIMAL IS STILL HEAR IT ISNT FEAR WHAT THEY ARE TRYING TO DO AND I OWN MY HOME 1 NEIGHBOR DONT WANT THEM ON HER BLOCK AND RISED ALL KINDS OF MESS SO HE HAS TO GO AND I AM VERY HURT ABOUT THE WHOLE THING.IT IS GETTING REALLY BAD.:mad2:

#54 ·
yeah my ultimate goal was to adopt an african striped mouse when I tried i found out they just got banned from the united states. i'm still bummed about that one.

#55 ·
I didn't vote, because you need another tab to vote on. I would have to say "no, because..." No, because I also have a family to think of and could not re-locate, and, seriously, if I already owned an exotic, it IS part of my family and I am not going to get rid of it. What, are they going to come searching door to door for them? I just wouldn't tell. This is America we live in, isn't it? Give me a break! Now you have my tail feathers in a ruffle!

#57 ·
I could never live without my pets and if I had to I would move, however here in the UK there are not many pets I would concider having pets I suppose ban. I feel for all those people who may have formed a bond, trust or realationship, maybe even everyone of them things with any animal and may have to part from it, I agree that this is not a desition for the goverment to make, but for the public too! we are the ones who care for the animals, many stores will loose profit and many angry people may do damage, we have a right to and they better realise that sooner or later!

#58 ·
I do agree tho, that animals that truly do not belong in cities/towns even villages should not be held captive. How I see this is that we are looking after and offering the animals a home, which we have taken homes from by building on top of them. also the true domestic animal should be happy living with humans and otherwise should be released or 'given' to someone who is prepared to provide 'safe' and suitable living conditions close to their natal habitat.

#60 ·
Exotic pets that are illegal do get confiscated all the time. Family members or friends turn you in cuz they got mad at you that day, meter man peeks in the window, you call 911 and they see your pets and confiscate them while they are there, vets can't legaly treat your illegal exotics in most states.

No one makes you get a permit to own a stallion but they are dangerous. No one makes you get a permit for a goldfish but they take much more care than a fish bowl to be kept healthy. Do they not deserve to be kept healthy too? The permit laws are to baby step their way to a ban.

No law has ever prevented anything. When permits do not prevent abuse they will ask for more and more till they get the ban then keep adding species to the ban. They already ban some species of dogs and cats in certain areas. California even bans gerbils.

Laws are only meant to punish. Run a stop light get a ticket because you broke the law. What about owning an exotic pet should be punished? If it's with permit then it is still illegal unless you get "big brother's" permission. What about owning an animal without government permission deserves to be punished? If it's abused and neglected abuse and neglect laws should cover that, if it's not that issue should be addressed as well as enforcement but not a ban or permits. If it's safety a horse is more likely to kill you than a big cat. Neither need banned or permitted there are public endangerment, animal at large laws, and lawsuit options to deal with punishment of that.

It feels good to think we can prevent abuse if we pass X law but it wont ever happen. People need a license to drive but how many people obey the speed limit or drive well? Why don't they drive better they got a license it's supposed to prevent bad driving. California has some of the strictest laws, pets banned anyone else want an exotic need two yrs experience, state permit, USDA license, subject to inspections ect. They've had plenty of incidents of abuse, neglect, and exotics at large there from licensed facilities. But all those laws were supposed to prevent that?

Laws do not prevent anything they punish, exotic owners do not need to be punished.

Hamsters have not been kept as pets nearly as long as most of the exotic pets People are complaining should be in the wild. Foxes, bears, skunks, and lots more all have a longer history of being kept as pets. If they are kept healthy, happy and reasonable steps are taken for safety then there is no problem. If not neglect, abuse, and public endangerment laws would/should already address the problem.

As for problems it really is a small percent but it is news worthy because it's rare. And good owners are not news worthy nor are most attention seekers. They are like any of you and have a pet they love and prefer low profiles too keep their pets safe from people that think better dead than a pet. The problem isn't ownership It's a small percent of bad owners. Most people are not stupid enough to think a tiger will stay a cub forever. Most owners love their pets and will do what is best for them. I believe more domestics get abused and neglected percentage wise than exotics. No one has ever set a tiger on fire while still alive they have cats and dogs. Then, if a ban is to protect animals, ban cats and dogs.

Don't ban a species ban the deeds.

As for taking them from the wild that is a misconception. No tigers are imported only born and bred for many generations in the USA like parrots and your hamsters who have not been kept nearly as long as tigers have by people. The vast majority of exotics are born and bred as pets. Everyone prefers a healthy domestically bred and tamed pet to taking a wild one with unknown history and health and intact wild temperament. Just try hugging a wild raccoon and see if it is even remotely the same as a tame one. Laws on wild animals are strict and those few wind up with more expert folk.

These AR(animal rights) folks who push these ideas want even dogs and cats banned. They want no human animal contact. They are just picking on the less commonly kept pets first because we are fewer in number and an easier target. Hamsters, ferrets, hedgehogs, parrots, certain breeds of cats and dogs and even gerbils are all already banned in certain states and localities. Anywhere a ban is passed they come back year after year to add more species to the banned list.

#63 ·
You realize a major reason a lot of those species were banned is just because they haven't been domesticated for very long and we don't have a firm grasp on their health issues and also what abnormal diseases they may be prone to that could also effect humans.

Don't get me wrong I do agree that you should be aloud to keep whatever pets you want but I think that getting a license to keep a big cat, or a venomous snake, or a first generation marsupial that may still have recessive diseases is a good idea. We wouldn't have domesticated animals if someone hadn't started it first. If someone hadn't breed all the dog breeds or tamed the cats. I love bangels, and snakes and mice and chinchillas and I would LOVE to have a sugar glider some day, but if the guy next door to me had 50 venomous snakes I would want to know that he knew what he was doing with them.

I think you should be able to keep exotics so long as you know how to care for them. Maybe let the vets sign off on you. If you have a good history with your cats they can say "yeah these people are responsible" take it to the courthouse and get a license then get whatever pets you want. Of course I do also believe there are plenty of people who don't need to have any pets, who are too irresponsible. That is why I am in favor of this idea.

#64 ·
I saw a cool bumper sticker today; You can have my guns...bullets first. Ha. That's how I feel about guns & my pet prairie dogs.
I agree there are some animals that should not be allowed, for obvious reasons. I have mixed feelings about prairie dogs in the pet trade. I think anyone who is looking to get any pet should only do so if they do their homework first. For example; my momma wouldn't let me play with snakes when I was a kid, because she is deathly afraid of them. So when I got married & moved out, I got a couple of king snakes. They turned out to be escape artists, so I got a bigger snake, one that couldn't get lost so easily. I have had my boa for 26 years now. After I got her I read where they can live up to 40 years in captivity. I asked my husband, hey can you see me sitting in my rocking chair when I'm 59 holding B.C.? Haha That rocking chair isn't so far away now. I'm already a grandma.

#65 ·
I don't get why people want new exotic animals...
There are SO many animals out there allready, so why is people always need to get something "new".
I think it's because people want's something special, and thats just wrong!

I'm very happy that big cats, girafs, zebras (and other african animals like that), wild forms of dogs (hyena, wolf and so on), plattapus, apes, venomous snake, seals, bats and so on are illegal here in Denmark.
Most people don't know how to take propor care of these animals, and if it's a threatend species, it's eaven more stupid to let normal people keep the animal (like tigers)...

You shouldn't be able to keep what ever pet you want, because some pets, normal people just can't take care of! And some people don't understand this, and just get a pet because it's "cool".
It's just too bad if you are a responsible pet-owner who wanted something new and exiting...!

#69 ·
Callithricidae spp
These are tho only monkeys allowed in Denmark.
I think this is fine. Honestly, not many people can take propor care of these small monkeys, and eaven less know how to take care of bigger monkeys/primates.

Eaven thoug I think monkeys are very cute, and we have some people who take very good care of their monkeys, I wouldn't mind if they got illegal too..
I simply hate it when people get these types of animals, and they have a short and bad life, because people don't read up on them first....

#70 ·
I dont think these laws are out to punish you...the situation is getting so out of hand that a law must be set...people should not be able to own whatever animal they want
There are pacu fish in the lake Hartwell, sc
There are oscars in florida...all bc some irresponsible ppl decided to get rid of their problem..I shutter to think where ppl dump their piranhas..its getting out of control...who even gives these pet stores the right to have and sell these tank busters? If you look at a lot of the people that go to pet stores it's usually on a whim and they dont have a clue as to what they are getting themselves into.."ohhh thats a purdy fish..I want it" is their mentality...or "ohh..ive never seen that before..that would be fun to have"..I see ppl getting a 10gal aquarium and a bag of knife fish all in one day..then they ask the pet store staff questions on how to set up their tanks..there has to be a law put into place..these people are messing up our ecosystems..I dont want to take a swim in a local lake and have to think twice as to whether or not someone dumped their pet piranhas in it..it would be another thing if I was in south america

I believe you do need permits to keep certain animals..like rattle snakes and crocs..I would understand keeping them in a laboratory or perhaps being a licensed rehabilitator in or around their natural habitat..otherwise I dont understand why you would want to keep something that can take your life in a split second..how is that even qualified to be a pet? Is it empowering to own something that has to power to kill you without hesitation or people around you? It would be difficult to tame them if even remotely possible..and you put everyones lives in grave danger around you..is it worth it?

#71 ·
I saw a bumper sticker once that said, "If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns." That applies to this. Also, if more people become owners of these animals, like Sushi said, then they become more domesticated. If more people have the animals, the better chance they have in surviving their probable native habitat destruction, ya know? One of the reasons why the crocodiles of Florida have been making a comeback is because a company breeds them to use their skins for boots and such, but they legally have to release 5-7% or something of what they breed into the wild to support what they supposedly take. I think this should be applied to everything...but not of course in the making of purses, ya know? I think everyone who owns something exotic or complicated should be required to get a license. Not a really complicated one of course, but something that shows that not any yahoo can go into a pet store and buy an animal thinking they can take care of it.

#75 ·
I beg to differ

No,every wild animal needs to be free.That is the way they were from the beginning.No owner can give their pet freedom,even though there are more dangers in the wild.I think that perhaps people could still love them in the wild,that is if they had the pet and then let them go.You can't turn a fox or wolf into a lapdog,and a leopard or lion into a pussy cat.You remember that woman who's neighbor got mauled by her pet chimp?Both for the people's sake and the animal's,this is why.

#79 ·
I don't agree with live feeding at all, but the only label I give those people is irresponsible. Especially those who think it's cool enough to post online. It hurts everyone who happens to keep snakes as pets, and encourages opinionated people to come on to forums making sweeping generalizations about the reptile keeping community. I wouldn't have a problem with a ban on live feeders. Bans like that already exist in some places. Just like I don't have a problem with licensing requirements for exotics, as long as they're sensible and attainable, and not policed by ignorant bureaucrats.

#80 ·
I used to get into discussions with other snake owners about it all the time. That is part of the reason I don't participate in online reptile owner forums much anymore. You can only have the same argument with so many people who don't want to listen so many times, before it just gets tiring. Most of the people in the reptile community that I do regularly talk to realize that reinforcing the feeding of f/t rodents is the only way we're going to take the keeping of reptiles to the next step of "legitimacy" with the general public.

I do education programs with my snakes, so I have had all manner of reactions from all manner of people... but the hope is, regardless of whether they like snakes or not, or approve of the keeping of them as pets or not, that they walk away having learned something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.