Exotic Animal Bans... - Page 4 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

View Poll Results: Would you move to another state where your pets are legal if they became illegal?
Yes 106 78.52%
No 29 21.48%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 99 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 02:14 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i actually think that it could be turned into something good. the law i mean... ok so you cant just go buy a hippo GOOD... you cant just go buy a bear GOOD... i think its ok if you are like ok so here are the animals you cant have as pets with out a permit. take them case by case. keep some people from being all oh look at how cute it is lets get it. and not care for it properly. but just refusing animals and illigalizing them is just stupid.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 99 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 02:25 PM
Will It Ever Change?

yeah if I ever had to apply for a permit to have a pet, i wouldnt care. I'm a person that puts in a whole load of effort to get something i'd like. ( i try not to 'want' it's such gluttony). im my own parent lol, i quiz myself to make sure i know everything i need, and i make sure im prepared. getting permits would stop all the spontaneous petshop buyers, as long as it either A) costs money (many people wont shell out an extra bit) or B) requires some kind of proof of capability

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #48 of 99 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 05:42 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterFan
No rhinos? What's going on there?
lol smartie pants
that was funny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 99 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 05:46 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfomatic
I agree, Deja. A lot of exotics -- like lions and alligators -- have no business being in big cities. Not only can they be dangerous when not cared for properly but it is wrong to house something like that in an environment totally unsuited for them.

However, exotic animal bans are often based on misinformation. They are also very generalized so a lot of decent pets get banned as well. Most times, professionals aren't consulted and research isn't even done. So, it is left up to the owners to petition the laws -- and most times the system doesn't even care what the pet owners think: There aren't enough exotic owners out there to make a difference so even if you know your stuff you are still fighting a loosing battle. It is sad, really.
im living in an environment unsuited for me
i want to live in the woods right next to THE WILD
i dont think we should be living in big cities w/polution and all that either
Im sick all the time and i think it is the invironment i live in seriously
post #50 of 99 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 06:30 PM
Part of the Pack

if you think about it, the animals would be better off in the long run, no owners to abuse them, they would all be free. But on the other hand I would do anything to keep my babies. Rats are also considered exotic.
post #51 of 99 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 12:52 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I voted yes, as of now I don't have any exotics but my uncle owns snakes and they are in some places considered exotic...*shrugs* Honestly if they ban my animals they may as well ban me.

Life's not about how to survive the storm, It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Momma to: 2 human children Audree (2) and Jacob (7 mo.)
3 Doggies: Angel (13), Cricket (1), and Diesel (4mo.)
1 Kitty: Mazey (Age unknown)
2 ferrets - Mocha and Marshall
1 bunny - Ice

Working to make a change, one paw at a time!
Volunteer - Skinny Little Buddy's Rescue
post #52 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 02:33 AM
Playful Pup

Let's just throw our exotics at shelters and let them die because of the over-populated shelters (sarcasm)!

A ton of people have exotic pets. If states banned exotics, many animals would be thrown into out-of-state shelters. That'd mean WAY more less room in shelters, and even MORE euthanasia!

If guinea pigs ever get banned in Pennsylvania, I don't know what I'd do. I'd be willing to move, but I don't think my mom would be able to afford it and get a job.

And what about people who own lizards? Are they just supposed to dump them into shelters?

Whoever thought of banning exotics is ridiculous. They have not considered the consequences, except for a few diseases. Diseases control the already over-populated human population.

There are just so many things wrong with crap like this.
post #53 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 01:25 AM

HI,I LIVE IN DUQUESNE AND I AGREE WITH YOU THEY SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO BAN FARM ANIMALS I HAVE 2 POTBELLY PIGS AND THE BORO PASSED A NEW LAW LAST YEAR SAYING POTBELLY PIGS AND FARM exotic ANIMALS ARE BANNED SO THE 1 IS GRANDFATHER IN BUT THE OTHER ONE I HAVE TO REMOVE IN 20 DAYS OR I WILL BE FINED 600.00 A DAY FOR EACH DAY THE ANIMAL IS STILL HEAR IT ISNT FEAR WHAT THEY ARE TRYING TO DO AND I OWN MY HOME 1 NEIGHBOR DONT WANT THEM ON HER BLOCK AND RISED ALL KINDS OF MESS SO HE HAS TO GO AND I AM VERY HURT ABOUT THE WHOLE THING.IT IS GETTING REALLY BAD.
post #54 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 08:56 PM
laugh often

yeah my ultimate goal was to adopt an african striped mouse when I tried i found out they just got banned from the united states. i'm still bummed about that one.
post #55 of 99 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 01:28 PM

I didn't vote, because you need another tab to vote on. I would have to say "no, because..." No, because I also have a family to think of and could not re-locate, and, seriously, if I already owned an exotic, it IS part of my family and I am not going to get rid of it. What, are they going to come searching door to door for them? I just wouldn't tell. This is America we live in, isn't it? Give me a break! Now you have my tail feathers in a ruffle!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #56 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 10:56 AM
Will It Ever Change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzKityLvsBrdsTo View Post
I didn't vote, because you need another tab to vote on. I would have to say "no, because..." No, because I also have a family to think of and could not re-locate, and, seriously, if I already owned an exotic, it IS part of my family and I am not going to get rid of it. What, are they going to come searching door to door for them? I just wouldn't tell. This is America we live in, isn't it? Give me a break! Now you have my tail feathers in a ruffle!
lol i'm with you on that one, just don't say a word and really, who'll know

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #57 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 11:17 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

I could never live without my pets and if I had to I would move, however here in the UK there are not many pets I would concider having pets I suppose ban. I feel for all those people who may have formed a bond, trust or realationship, maybe even everyone of them things with any animal and may have to part from it, I agree that this is not a desition for the goverment to make, but for the public too! we are the ones who care for the animals, many stores will loose profit and many angry people may do damage, we have a right to and they better realise that sooner or later!

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #58 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 11:21 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

I do agree tho, that animals that truly do not belong in cities/towns even villages should not be held captive. How I see this is that we are looking after and offering the animals a home, which we have taken homes from by building on top of them. also the true domestic animal should be happy living with humans and otherwise should be released or 'given' to someone who is prepared to provide 'safe' and suitable living conditions close to their natal habitat.

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #59 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 06:41 PM
Adolescent Pup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaXVV63UWS8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VosJIQrxtmI

Mary
Quasi - - - - Hyzzie - - - - - Pua - - - Jupiter - - - Kat

&
Angel Stewie

post #60 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Adolescent Pup

Exotic pets that are illegal do get confiscated all the time. Family members or friends turn you in cuz they got mad at you that day, meter man peeks in the window, you call 911 and they see your pets and confiscate them while they are there, vets can't legaly treat your illegal exotics in most states.

No one makes you get a permit to own a stallion but they are dangerous. No one makes you get a permit for a goldfish but they take much more care than a fish bowl to be kept healthy. Do they not deserve to be kept healthy too? The permit laws are to baby step their way to a ban.

No law has ever prevented anything. When permits do not prevent abuse they will ask for more and more till they get the ban then keep adding species to the ban. They already ban some species of dogs and cats in certain areas. California even bans gerbils.

Laws are only meant to punish. Run a stop light get a ticket because you broke the law. What about owning an exotic pet should be punished? If it's with permit then it is still illegal unless you get "big brother's" permission. What about owning an animal without government permission deserves to be punished? If it's abused and neglected abuse and neglect laws should cover that, if it's not that issue should be addressed as well as enforcement but not a ban or permits. If it's safety a horse is more likely to kill you than a big cat. Neither need banned or permitted there are public endangerment, animal at large laws, and lawsuit options to deal with punishment of that.

It feels good to think we can prevent abuse if we pass X law but it wont ever happen. People need a license to drive but how many people obey the speed limit or drive well? Why don't they drive better they got a license it's supposed to prevent bad driving. California has some of the strictest laws, pets banned anyone else want an exotic need two yrs experience, state permit, USDA license, subject to inspections ect. They've had plenty of incidents of abuse, neglect, and exotics at large there from licensed facilities. But all those laws were supposed to prevent that?

Laws do not prevent anything they punish, exotic owners do not need to be punished.

Hamsters have not been kept as pets nearly as long as most of the exotic pets People are complaining should be in the wild. Foxes, bears, skunks, and lots more all have a longer history of being kept as pets. If they are kept healthy, happy and reasonable steps are taken for safety then there is no problem. If not neglect, abuse, and public endangerment laws would/should already address the problem.

As for problems it really is a small percent but it is news worthy because it's rare. And good owners are not news worthy nor are most attention seekers. They are like any of you and have a pet they love and prefer low profiles too keep their pets safe from people that think better dead than a pet. The problem isn't ownership It's a small percent of bad owners. Most people are not stupid enough to think a tiger will stay a cub forever. Most owners love their pets and will do what is best for them. I believe more domestics get abused and neglected percentage wise than exotics. No one has ever set a tiger on fire while still alive they have cats and dogs. Then, if a ban is to protect animals, ban cats and dogs.

Don't ban a species ban the deeds.

As for taking them from the wild that is a misconception. No tigers are imported only born and bred for many generations in the USA like parrots and your hamsters who have not been kept nearly as long as tigers have by people. The vast majority of exotics are born and bred as pets. Everyone prefers a healthy domestically bred and tamed pet to taking a wild one with unknown history and health and intact wild temperament. Just try hugging a wild raccoon and see if it is even remotely the same as a tame one. Laws on wild animals are strict and those few wind up with more expert folk.

These AR(animal rights) folks who push these ideas want even dogs and cats banned. They want no human animal contact. They are just picking on the less commonly kept pets first because we are fewer in number and an easier target. Hamsters, ferrets, hedgehogs, parrots, certain breeds of cats and dogs and even gerbils are all already banned in certain states and localities. Anywhere a ban is passed they come back year after year to add more species to the banned list.

Mary
Quasi - - - - Hyzzie - - - - - Pua - - - Jupiter - - - Kat

&
Angel Stewie

Tags
animal control, bearded dragon, bearded dragons, cage bars, captive bred, dog park, exotic animals, exotic pets, exotic vet, fancy mice, farm animals, feral cats, flying squirrel, flying squirrels, german shepherd, guinea pig, husky mix, life cycle, pet owner, pet shop, pet store, pet stores, pet trade, prairie dog, prairie dogs, regular vet, spiny mice, sugar glider, sugar gliders, wild animal, wild animals