Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Would you move to another state where your pets are legal if they became illegal?

• Yes

Votes: 106 78.5%
  • No

Votes: 29 21.5%
43K views 98 replies 56 participants last post by  Arwen10 
#1 ·
I have sent this letter I created to some exotic vets, and info@aemv.org. Please reply to this post with any emails concerning the matter of banning exotic pets. This is not right, and cannot happen any longer as it is in the U.S. and Canada...Please write a letter yourself also...My letter can be cross-posted as long as my name and such is included... Well here it is:

"
Hello,

My name is Corina Van Camp. I am living in New York State. I own chinchillas and plan on getting hedgehogs, both of them being exotic animals. I hear of the government banning exotic animals in many locations, recently in both the United States and Canada. These animals are not only our pets, but our babies! They are part of the family. We love them very much, and take care of them, and their needs. I do not support this act. We should not be punished for the acts of irresponsible animal owners that neglect or abuse their pets. Our pets should not be punished either. I also know that if you were to ban exotic animals in this state, I would be moving to another state, and bringing my animals with me. Not all animals carry diseases and such, and eventually we are going to have no pets at all, not even dogs or cats. Animals are the ones who comfort people and listen to you when humans don't. They are the ones with opening ears and hearts. There are many people that are worried about this matter, and do not want this happening. Just of my friends, close ones at that; they own:

Chinchillas

Hedgehogs

Prairie Dogs

Sugar Gliders

Flying Squirrels

etc. All being exotics.

I also plan on being a vet in the next years to come, if you ban exotic pets how many people will be out of jobs? Maybe not many, but they do need to support their family, and themselves. They love their jobs too, and some of them owning exotic animals themselves. I am not only being a vet, but specializing in exotic animals. Also there are many pet stores that sell chinchillas, and hedgehogs, not that this is always a good thing, but they will be having less, and less animals to support their business'. Some exotic animals are also used in educational ways. You do not want to take away children's education...do you? Also animals possibly able to catch and carry the disease monkey pox besides prairie dogs that aren't exotics, are rabbits, rats, etc. Your not trying to ban these animals, or caring to. You shouldn't need to either, but you shouldn't be trying to ban exotics. All of these animals are very important to many.

Thank you for listening, and I am looking forward to your reply concerning this matter. I am not just representing myself, and my animals, but many other people too, and all the people that think about writing a letter, but never do.

-Corina"

See less See more
#3 ·
The only banned animals on NY's list are Dangerous Exotic Animals. You can read the proposal here: http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A09988&sh=t

8. "DANGEROUS EXOTIC ANIMAL" MEANS ANY MEMBER OF THE FOLLOWING FAMI-
26 LIES, INCLUDING HYBRIDS THEREOF, WHICH DUE TO THEIR INHERENT NATURE, MAY
27 BE CONSIDERED DANGEROUS TO HUMANS, AND FURTHER DEFINED AS FOLLOWS:
28 (A) CLASS MAMMALIA
29 (1) ORDER ARTIODACTYLA (HIPPOPOTAMUSES, GIRAFFES, CAMELS, DEER, BUT
30 NOT CATTLE, SWINE, SHEEP OR GOATS)
31 (2) ORDER CARNIVORA
32 (I) FAMILY FELIDAE (LIONS, TIGERS, COUGARS, LEOPARDS, OCELOTS,
33 SERVALS, BUT NOT DOMESTIC CATS OR FERAL CATS WHICH SHALL MEAN DOMESTI-
34 CATED CATS WHICH WERE FORMERLY OWNED AND HAVE BEEN ABANDONED AND ARE NO
35 LONGER SOCIALIZED, AS WELL AS THE OFFSPRING OF SUCH CATS)
36 (II) FAMILY CANIDAE (WOLVES, COYOTES, FOXES, JACKALS, BUT NOT DOMESTI-
37 CATED DOGS)
38 (III) FAMILY URSIDAE (BEARS)
39 (IV) FAMILY MUSTELIDAE (WEASELS, SKUNKS, MARTIN, MINKS, BUT NOT
40 FERRETS)
41 (V) FAMILY PROCYONIDAE (RACCOONS, COATIS)
42 (VI) FAMILY HYAENIDAE (HYENAS)
43 (VII) FAMILY VIVERRIDAE (CIVETS, GENETS, MONGOOSES, BINTURONGS)
44 (3) ORDER EDENTATIA (ANTEATERS, ARMIDILLOS, SLOTHS)
45 (4) ORDER MARSUPIALIA (OPPOSSUMS, KANGAROOS, WALLABIES)
46 (5) ORDER PERISSODACTYLA (RHINOCEROS, TAPIRS, BUT NOT HORSES, DONKEYS
47 OR MULES)
48 (6) ORDER PRIMATES (LEMURS, MONKEYS, CHIMPANZEES, GORILLAS)
49 (7) ORDER PROBOSCIDAE (ELEPHANTS)
50 (8) ORDER RODENTIA (SQUIRRELS, PRAIRIE DOGS, BEAVERS, PORCUPINES,
51 GAMBIEN RATS, BUT NOT GUINEA PIGS, RATS, MICE, GERBILS OR HAMSTERS)
52 (B) CLASS REPTILIA
53 (1) ORDER SQUAMATA
54 (I) FAMILY VARANIDAE (ONLY WATER MONITORS AND CROCODILE MONITORS)
55 (II) FAMILY IGUANAIDAE (ONLY GREEN IGUANAS AND ROCK IGUANAS)

A. 9988--B 3

1 (III) FAMILY BOIDAE (ALL SPECIES WHOSE ADULT LENGTH CAN EXCEED EIGHT
2 FEET IN LENGTH)
3 (IV)FAMILY COLUBRIDAE (ONLY BOOMSLANGS AND AFRICAN TWIG SNAKES)
4 (V) FAMILY ELAPIDAE
5 (VI) FAMILY NACTRICIDAE (ONLY KEELBACK SNAKES)
6 (VII) FAMILY VIPERIDAE
7 (2) ORDER CROCODILIA.

#5 ·
There is always someone trying to ban exotics (reptiles, too :( ) ... Unfortunately, most of the information used in this endeavor is usually biased and wrong .. it is up to the exotic owners, like yourself, to get heard and stand up for your rights.

Ignorance can be a terrible thing if it goes unhindered.

Bravo.

#6 ·
The "only" animals? That list is absurd. :) They tried to suggest the same list here in Austin and it got shot down pretty quickly, didn't even make it to city counsil. NYC is a whole different ball of wax with that many people crammed together in such a small area, but all snakes over 2 feet? That cuts out pretty much everything, including some of the calmest and best pet snakes out there. And most people wouldn't know a keelback snake if it bit them in the butt. Plus, numerous species in colubridae are venomous - yet not mentioned. Then, they ban the water monitor, but not the nile monitor, or the komodo... or numerous other large lizard species which are known to be potentially dangerous. Not to mention, numerous family/genus in the list are incorrect and there are typos. Laws like that are utterly silly and refuse to take into consideration something as simple as scientific discovery or advancement - or probably just weren't researched well enough in the first place. :)

Careful, squirrels are dangerous animals.

Rav

#8 ·
I totally understand your position and I applaud you for doing what you can to stand up for what you believe is right.

I had to vote NO. I don't own anything considered very exotic - I have 2 parrots, 3 dogs and 3 cats. I should tell you why I did vote no though.

I voted No because I have a family to consider. We live and work in the NYC metro area. I have children in one of the best school districts in the country. My children and family have to come first, always. We live where the work is, work is where the money comes from to live...

I'd do anything for my animals and have always lived up to my word, but if it came down to it, I'm being totally honest here- my kids would have to come first...

When I look at that list the first thing that came to my mind was the man in a NYC subsidised housing apartment who was keeping a Lion and an alligator - among other potentially dangerous animals it was later found out. Although laws may not always make rational sense to people who are educated and dedicated enough to actually care for exotics - most people aren't educated and have no clue. They not only put the animal in harms way through improper care and non-existant medical treatment, they pose a danger to the immediate population.

#61 ·

When I look at that list the first thing that came to my mind was the man in a NYC subsidised housing apartment who was keeping a Lion and an alligator
It was already illegal to have exotics like that in NYC the new law passed was for the whole state and not all of NY is city. Just more proof the laws don't prevent anything. It just made it possible to punish him for it.

#10 ·
:)I understand that. I don't have any children as I am only 13 years old, I do have a sister, mom, and dad here along with my other relatives and friends. We are only in the city though and in one of the worst neighborhoods. My mom has been planning on moving to the country for a while. We (my sister, and I) have gone to a catholic school our whole lives and still do, but it's still not the best.) My mom would let me move to Virginia, and I know someone that lives there and would let me and my animals stay with them. My mom would might of even move there too. :)
~Corina

#11 ·
I agree, Deja. A lot of exotics -- like lions and alligators -- have no business being in big cities. Not only can they be dangerous when not cared for properly but it is wrong to house something like that in an environment totally unsuited for them.

However, exotic animal bans are often based on misinformation. They are also very generalized so a lot of decent pets get banned as well. Most times, professionals aren't consulted and research isn't even done. So, it is left up to the owners to petition the laws -- and most times the system doesn't even care what the pet owners think: There aren't enough exotic owners out there to make a difference so even if you know your stuff you are still fighting a loosing battle. It is sad, really.

#12 ·
A lot of those animals that were on that list should not be allowed to be pets anyway....I mean seriously, do you think a kangaroo is going to be happy living in someone's backyard?
The praire dog situation is a little different though....they've allowed them into peoples homes, if they want them to be banned it shouldn't mean that existing owners should have to get rid of them imo.
I also don't think that any of you realise just how lucky you are with the different types of pets you are allowed to own. Sugar gliders are a great example...they are native to my country and I have never seen a real one, we are not allowed to have them as pets, and honestly I'm not sure if I agree on that one. From what I have read they take a huge repsonsibility and not everyone out there owning sugar gliders will be providing them with their proper environmental needs.
Anyway I'm getting off track here...I own one dog, two rabbits and currently one mouse. none of my pets are considered exotics here either and it would depend on many different circumstances as to whether I'd move or not. Right now I'd have to say no...we are building ourselves a life for success and I'm with Deja, you live where the work is. don't get me wrong though it would break my heart to see any of my babies go. If we weren't tied with great oppurtunities like we are now then yes i would move cause I would have nothing to lose. i don't have children yet but we are working towards giving our children the best life we possibly can so moving right now would not be the greatest thing for us to do.

Good luck in your quest to stop the banning...just fight for the ones that need fighting for, lions tigers and bears :) don't belong in domestic situations!

#62 ·
A lot of those animals that were on that list should not be allowed to be pets anyway....I mean seriously, do you think a kangaroo is going to be happy living in someone's backyard?
Horses are bigger than kangaroos but people keep them as pets! They just get an appropriately size "yard". I know pet roos who are very happy as well as pet horses.

#13 ·
RSbunny said:

I also don't think that any of you realise just how lucky you are with the different types of pets you are allowed to own. Sugar gliders are a great example...they are native to my country and I have never seen a real one, we are not allowed to have them as pets, and honestly I'm not sure if I agree on that one. From what I have read they take a huge repsonsibility and not everyone out there owning sugar gliders will be providing them with their proper environmental needs.
QUOTE]

Just because Kangaroos are kept in captive situations, doesn't nessacerily imply that they're being thrown in a standard backyard.

Sugar Gliders definetly take work, but they're needs aren't anything a responsible person can provide.

#14 ·
elfomatic said:
However, exotic animal bans are often based on misinformation. They are also very generalized so a lot of decent pets get banned as well. Most times, professionals aren't consulted and research isn't even done. So, it is left up to the owners to petition the laws -- and most times the system doesn't even care what the pet owners think: There aren't enough exotic owners out there to make a difference so even if you know your stuff you are still fighting a loosing battle. It is sad, really.
Precisely. The information is often based on outdated data, or they just haven't looked into things specifically. Like boids no larger than 2 feet?! There are numers pythons and boas that get 2-6 feet but their girth is much to small to be a threat to anyone. I remember when NYC banned exotics, the law was so ridiculous they had taxonomic errors on the bill!!! Everyone thought it was a joke the original bill so ignorant and obviously not researched.

Lets pick apart some of those "dangerous" animal groups...

Yeah, tigers are dangerous. Bengal Cats and Chausies are not. They're hybrid cats with just a sliver of wild cat blood in them.

36 (II) FAMILY CANIDAE (WOLVES, COYOTES, FOXES, JACKALS, BUT NOT DOMESTI-37 CATED DOGS)

Again, wolves can be dangerous. I promise you my Fennec Fox, however, was no more threatening than a ferret. They only get to be three pounds!!

Coatis are a handful, ringtails make fine pets.

Genets fall into the category I just created for fennecs and ringtails. I wonder if whoever wrote the bill even knows what a genet is?

Armadillos are boring, yes. Dangerous? I don't think so.

Dama wallabies only get to be several pounds. Terrifying!

What does MICE mean? Domesticated fancy mice, or all mice. Zebra mice, pgymy mice, spiny mice are definetly not dangerous. I can possibly see the danger in a grey squirrel, but a flying squirrel could do little damage if it wanted to!

#15 ·
I tried to post this using a quote, but I'm new to the board and may've screwed something up. If I post the same basic thing twice, I apologize.

All the animals in that list are NOT dangerous. The list is a broad and overexagerated blanket law. The original proposal for NYC was so absurd there were taxonomic errors in it! People thought it was a joke because the initial proposed ban was put together so poorly. If they don't even know what it is, how do they know if it thrives in captivity? If they ban whole groups of animals, what about the members of the group that do fine in captivity?

Yeah, Tigers are dangerous and if you want to keep one in Texas you have to get proper licensing and have your facility inspected. This law would also ban Chausie's and Bengal cats. Neither of these hybrid cats are dangerous at all.

36 (II) FAMILY CANIDAE (WOLVES, COYOTES, FOXES, JACKALS, BUT NOT DOMESTI-
37 CATED DOGS)

Once again, wolves are dangerous. I promise you, however, my Fennec Fox was no more dangerous than a ferret and not any bigger. In fact, he was friendlier than many ferrets I've met!

Ringtails (which are procyonids) make fine pets, as do certain species of genets. They only get to be several pounds.

Armadillos are boring, yes. Dangerous? No.

Dama wallabies only get to be several pounds. And to the person who mentioned Kangaroos in the back yard, just because the private sector is keeping one doesn't nessacerily its given a standard sized back yard. Sugar Gliders do need responsible owners, but they're nothing a responsible person can't keep! So many small marsupials are kept... mouse opossums, short tailed opossums, sugar gliders, none of which are dangerous.

A FLYING squirrel couldn't hurt you if it wanted to. What constitutes legal mice? Just fancy mice (mus mus)? What about zebra mice, spiny mice, pygmy mice... not exactly very threatening.

1 (III) FAMILY BOIDAE (ALL SPECIES WHOSE ADULT LENGTH CAN EXCEED EIGHT
2 FEET IN LENGTH)

Ridiculous! There are tons of boids (pythons and boas) that get between only 2-6 feet, and their girth is so minimal they couldn't be a threat to anything.

#16 ·
QUOTE]

Just because Kangaroos are kept in captive situations, doesn't nessacerily imply that they're being thrown in a standard backyard.

Sugar Gliders definetly take work, but they're needs aren't anything a responsible person can provide.[/QUOTE]
Yes but there would still be a lot of irresponsible owners that wouldn't look after their Sugar Gliders....that's what I was saying. I wasn't talking about the responsible ones.

And with the Kangaroos, well sorry they shouldn't be kept in captivity. They are not pets, they have a very high potential to kill in seconds (and they have done so). I still stand my ground on that one too.

#17 ·
RSbunny said:
Yes but there would still be a lot of irresponsible owners that wouldn't look after their Sugar Gliders....that's what I was saying. I wasn't talking about the responsible ones.

And with the Kangaroos, well sorry they shouldn't be kept in captivity. They are not pets, they have a very high potential to kill in seconds (and they have done so). I still stand my ground on that one too.
When you make blanket laws making animals illegal it also screws all the responsible owners. Many areas require proper licensing to keep exotic animals, which is understandable, but to deny everyone the capacity to keep an animal is infringing on their personal liberties.

Horses and dogs have a high capacity to kill too. As do cars. More people have died from horses or cars than have from large snakes or kangaroos. Its all relevant to being intelligent, responsible, and knowing your animal. I don't think supervelous laws should exist to protect people from their own stupidity.

#18 ·
amazing i just started e-mailing info to all exotic shops i knew of ,so is someone from this forum named melanie . heres what im sending everyone-- June 11th the FDA and CDC imposed a temporary ban on the sale/movement of Prairie Dogs throughout the US due to the outbreak of MonkeyPox Virus which caught National attention. These two agencies of the Federal Government are now inviting comments from the public for a 75 day period regarding making that temporary ban PERMANENT. A copy of the rule can be read at http://www.fda.gov/OHRMS/DOCKETS/98fr/03-27557.htm If you wish to let the Federal Government know your feelings regarding Prairie Dogs as pets then send your comments to http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/oc/dockets/comments/commentdocket.cfm. The FDA will cease taking comments on Janurary,20 2004. If the permanent rule is enacted, then no more Prairie Dogs will be allowed to be kept as pets. please send comments i have always wanted a prarie dog for years....when i finally had the time and money this happend. i am only 14yrs old but im trying to make a difference in the exotic animal trade....so please tell all your custemors with prarie dogs & all your friends in the buissnes because their opinions count!!!! -Tyler harvey

#19 ·
I voted yes because I have moved for my pets who weren't exotics at all, but breed ban problems arose...granted that isn't the only reason we moved...we also did it for the kids because where we were didn't have the job opportunities we required in order to sustain ourselves, our kids, or our pets.
I do have chinchillas now along with the 2 pitbulls, a rabbit and 2 children. Breed bans against the pitbulls were one of the main reasons we moved though. Now they are talking about a city ban here...if it were to go though, we would move. My animals are my family and I wouldn't give up my family.

#22 ·
I think exotic animals should be banned if they are being brought in from the wild..that is just wrong....I used to work in a pet shop where all the reptiles were brought in fresh from the wild..that's just messed up...

As for birds? I personally wouldn't get one..they shouldn't be in cages...but oh well what can you do...as for big animals..uhm..darn straight they should be banned...especially from places like circuses...and who in their right minds would keep an elephant in their house? Unless its like a really big sanctuary or preservation park, there's just no reason for it..

As for mice and hamsters and all the other little critters..again, I don't really care much unless they're brought in from the wild..again I think that's just cruel in that case.. *shrugs* there's my opinion

#23 ·
EFExotics said:
Oh yes... gambian and african giant pouched rats are soooooo dangerous....

Just look at how evil Matisse is, baring his teeth at me...

Devouring my face with his gnashing mouth

yes... beware the giant pouched rat of doom

then again not to say they can't be dangerous. He did eat a power cord in just one chomp, and has managed to open his cage himself (must be wired shut now). But mannnnn... certain pets for certain people are just right. don't take away my exotics, especially my pouched rat. he means everything to me

This whole stupid ban has even gotten to my vet. Matisse was rubbing his nose on the cage bars while I was on vacation, and I took him in to his regular vet... who saw that he had a scab on his nose and told me I couldn't come back with him unless it was an absolute emergency, because he had "skin lesions".... ok, it was a scar from rubbing his nose!! treat it! arrggg... it's still there but healed over, and just bare where he rubbed it ........ he needs constant attention so he doesn't do that but man, I'm quick to provide it for him, the spoiled rat

I believe that they should be captive bred by knowledgable people.. but come on people, ALL pets started out this way whether it's a cat, dog, or hamster! they were wild animals at one point of time.

#25 · (Edited)
I agree that it is silly. Camels are actually a domesticate species. They have been domesticate for a long time in the arid countries of Africa where they are used as transportation. By domesticated, I mean bred in captivity for multiple generations. They are no more dangerous than a horse or a donkey. All three species can bite, kick, and do severe damage to a person, but all three species are also ridden. There are an estimated 14 million domestic camels in Africa and Eurasia, with most of these being Dromedary camels (one hump). However, most of the estimate 1.5 million camels in China and Mongolia are domesticated Bactrin camels (2 humps). The genetic difference between wild Bactrin camels and domestic ones is 3% base difference. This does not seem like much, but in fact, it is quite a large difference, and it shows that domestic camels have truly been bred by humans for quite a long time. For example, a wild wolf differs a mere 4%, genetically, from a coyote. That shows you how much change a small genetic difference can make. Dogs and wolves are even more closely related and have a smaller genetic difference. yet look at how different chihuahuas look and act from wolves. Even with that smaller genetic difference, people accept domestic dogs as, well, domestic. So why are domestic camels, with their equal or larger genetic difference not considered domestic? Sure a domestic camel could bite, kick, or spit on you just like a wild camel could. However, a domestic dog could bite or scratch you, just like a wolf could.

DRAGONTAMER: LOL! How cute! Your baby is just adorable, and your post is too funny! :pile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.