Exotic ban takes step forward - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Arrow Exotic ban takes step forward

Abbotsford to rid urban area of exotic beast?

A move to restrict exotic animals in Abbotsford took another step forward yesterday. City council was scheduled to give three readings of a new bylaw on the topic after press deadline last night. As well, councillors raised concerns about parts of the bylaw.
"Some people have suggested that the definition of exotic animal is too broad" said Coun.Ed Fast.
Under the new bylaw, wild or exotic animals are prohibited except in agricultural areas, when used in travelling performances or film productions or when displayed at a show, exhibit or rodeo. Pet stores, animal hospitals and veterinary clinics are also permitted to keep the animals.
Council began discussing the need for an exotic pet bylaw last fall, after a Vancouver television station aired a story in late October about Abbotsford's Kim Carlton and his Bengal tiger, Kisa, which he kept in his backyard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Now i think they may be trying to placate people while sliding it in. Like why the heck would they allow pet stores to keep the banned animals?? Unless they have had an out cry from them. I don't like the way this is going and still no mention of when this public meeting will be. That article was in The Abbotsford News today.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 08:49 PM
ChinTopia

I just emailed Mr. Fast..... perhaps his name means more than we knew?
*SIGH* he was so optimistic toward me in his past email too. lets see what he replies.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 01:46 PM
ChinTopia

I'm not sure what you read into my comments, however I can assure you that I welcome suggestions from pet owners on how we can make this bylaw more fair and well-balanced. That is why it is important for you to appear at the public meeting where this bylaw will be up for discussion. It would be especially helpful if you could provide council with a list of animals and reptiles which you believe should not be prohibited and also suggestions as to any conditions which should be added to the bylaw to ensure that the public is protected.

This was my replie from Ed, Do you think that he realises how silly he sounds when he asks for measures to protect the pucli from RABITS AND CHINCHILLLAS, AND GERBILS?! Sigh......

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Toirtis I am not able to get a clear pic of what is going on and i am right next door. But then i don't even know where to start. Your guidance is muchly appreciated.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 06:39 PM
Akasha

This is the letter I send to an abbotsford councillor and the reply i recieved

Hello my name is Lina Krickemeyer and I don't live in Abbotsford but I am extremely outraged to hear about the current bylaw you are attempting to enforce on the people of Abbotsford. How can you tell people they cannot keep there beloved pets anymore? You say that your trying to keep people safe then why not ban dogs? They cause more harm to people than little creatures such small non posionous lizards, sugar gliders, and chinchilla's. What could they ever do to anyone except sit there? I'd like to see the scientific proof that shows these pets are a threat to people. The idea of banning tarantulas bothers me as well. My significant other has one and it is no threat to anyone if kept properly. How many people have died of a tarantula bites recently, not one. They are no more of a threat then a chinchilla. Your catagory of "exotic animals" is too broad. You should ban only potentially dangerous animals and not one's that could do no harm. There is a potentially dangerous threat of these bylaws comming and affecting my area of Langley and we already keep lizards and in summer I'm getting a sugar glider. I cannot believe that your atempting to take away the rights of pet owners. The little critters that we own have hours a day spent on them and on top of that we also spend tons of money on our little pets to insure they get proper care. These creatures in capitivity live to more then twice the age they would live to in the wild because we go to extended lengths to make sure then get everything they need and then some. To me it sounds like we people should be getting rewarded not punished for what we are doing.

Sincerely

Lina Krickemeyer,
Langley Resident

Dear Lina:

Thank you for your letter. You have raised some important issues. I, too, have some questions about the scope of the proposed bylaw. Your concerns will be given careful attention, even if you live in Langley!

John H. Redekop
City Councillor
Abbotsford

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2002, 03:49 AM
ChinTopia

Hawkeye, while this may not be happening where you live, it is something to take a good look at because if one or two places start passing laws like this, it spreads like wild flowers...

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2002, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

This is in Abbotsford, British Columbia,Canada. But it is going on all over. I heard they had a huge upheaval in NewYork about banning exotic pets and ferrets got caught in that one. There should be some type of regulations on the keeping of exotics such as siberian tigers i mean really. But at the same token they take it so far out there. It seems there are hardly any rules then there are bans. There has got to be a happy medium. I don't know why we are so shocked though , it has been heading this way for quite some time. They shut down our zoo because it was inhumane. We had a huge 4 story tank for our otters , just huge , and where did they send them, to the Sandiego zoo where 5 mos before i had been and their otters had a little half circle thing that you put water in and spin your tire to see if it leaks. That one killed me. I am sure it is better now. And if you want to go to the shrine circus you better do it outside of vancouver because we banned circus animals ie tigers , elephants etc.not regulate the care of , but banned. Now the circus does their performance a ways outside of vancouver then ships the animals to seatle before doing their quite small show in vancouver. I am the first one screaming if animals are abused but alot of instances they are not abused but get caught in these over reactionary causes. OK now i will get off my soap box lmbo.

Tags
animal hospital, exotic animals, exotic pets, pet owner, pet store, pet stores, sugar glider, sugar gliders