Exotics Laws Discussion - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

I think this is a great topic and we all can learn much. Knowing the laws in your area is very important - I'll admit I haven't a clue what they are in my state. I will definitely dive into some research on this later on today.

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 08:38 AM
Alena

ferrets are illegal in New York City.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Ferrets are illegal in quite a few states...

Wife to an amazing man,

|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 09:05 AM

Ferrets are legal to own as pets in NJ but they must be neutered/spayed and descented and have their first distemper shot before they are sold. When they are sold the buyer must list with the Exotic Wildlife and Game Board (I think thats the name) and purchase a permit for $10 a year.

If you own Birds you must purchase a permit for $20. It is only one fee and it covers all permitted animals. Since I have Birds I pay a fee of $20 a year and it covers All of my animals.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 02:27 PM
ChinTopia

Yes and tortis mentioned to me that they are apparently trying to ban chinnies where I live...... Easy solution to that, I MOVE!! LOL

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 02:30 PM
Alena

that's terrible...i don't understand, these are not tigers or panthers, they're tiny creatures that pose absolutely not threat to anyone but themselves... what's the big deal????

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Here's a link to a site that shows you by state whether or not sugar gliders are legal/illegal or if you need to register them:

North America

And here's a few others:

State Laws Governing Private Possession of Exotic Animals

Summary of State Laws Relating to Private Possession of Exotic Animals

Ordinances Regulating Private Possession of Exotic Animals

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 05:57 PM

Do any of you know where to check for the laws regarding owning exotics in Canada(British Columbia in particular) I keep finding reg s on wildlife , cows , horses etc but can't find where the exotics are located.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

So far this is all I can find, I will keep searching: PIJAC

The Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council began its operations in the United States on December 7, 1971. The intent at the time was to put together a concerted effort to defeat proposed changes to regulations affecting the transport of live animals. Twenty-five years later, the PIJAC acronym is recognized around the world as a leading authority for the pet industry in areas like education, information and advocacy.

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2002, 11:34 PM
ChinTopia

Hi poss, a fellow BC ite

I know Sugar gliders ARE legal in BC.....

I dont see them illegalising chins anytime soon, but from what I can gather from Tortises PM, They were wanting to ban them on the island, am I correct Tort?

That would suck SO bad. they would have a fight in front of them, I happen to know there are ALOT of chinnie owners here on the isalnd, as well as some fur ranches, although they keep a pretty low profile, I haven't discovered one yet, but I KNOW their here SOMEWHERE!

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 11:17 AM

Toirtis, do you know if when they say 24" length on a snake wether they mean a snake that has the ability to grow over that length. Or do they mean that is legal to have that snake until it is 24". Why I ask is in the news, yet again, there was an article of a man strangled by his snake. As the article went on they said about the snake being ten feet long and that it was illegal to own a snake over 6 feet. Not knowing much on the subject it just caught me as weird because apparently he had had it since it was tiny. The way it was written it sounded like he was allowed to own this snake till it was 6 feet then all of a sudden somehow either he has to get rid of his snake or make it stop growing. Just seemed strange
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 05:27 PM

So it is not just me getting confused when i read these laws, they are confused when making them Makes me feel a little better
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

A few more links:

New Jersey Pet Regulations

New York City Ferret Ban

Exotic Laws/Legislation/Political Links

Wife to an amazing man,

|

Tags
exotic animals, sugar glider, sugar gliders