foods toxic to dogs - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Question foods toxic to dogs

I'm just sitting down to tunafish for lunch and of course, Elvis Lee wants some. I gave him just a bit. (bad, I know)

I know cocoa, chocolate, grapes & raisins are toxic to dogs & can even cause death.

Do you know of any other foods that are toxic to dogs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 12:51 PM
Title Spy

Is tuna toxic to dogs? Or do you just mean that it's bad to give table scraps?

'Cause I always give my dog a spoonful of tuna when I make a sandwich.

Owned by:
Three kitties (Hank, Napoleon, and The White One), two degus (Jay and Silent Bob), and a new chihuahua puppy (Gidget).

Special Pets in Heaven:
Bogus (cat), Dixie (dog), The Orange One (cat), baby iguana, and Charlotte (dog). I miss you all so much.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 02:23 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

grapes and raisins?!?! I didn't know that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 02:47 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Onions are another one. As well as macadamia nuts, large amounts of garlic, coffee, alchohol (obviously!), avocado, and yeast dough.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 05:27 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Walnut shells too.
Onions are pretty much poison to most animals in large quantities, I'm always surprised to see how many people feed onions to their pets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Adoption. Is the living option.
Can't Afford The Vet? Can't Afford the Pet!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 07:14 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer...pcc_poisonsafe

Stephanie

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkyChantelle
Is tuna toxic to dogs? Or do you just mean that it's bad to give table scraps?

'Cause I always give my dog a spoonful of tuna when I make a sandwich.
yes, I was referring to it being bad to give my dog table scraps. I have a tendancy to give him a teeny bit of whatever I eat. He goes up on his hind legs, begs with his little front paws like he is saying "please mommy just a taste" and I have a hard time saying no. LOL what can I do, he's my baby. but I'm careful about exactly what I give him. I'll give him a little carrot, or a little cheese, a bit of broccoli, or chicken etc. a scrambled egg every now & then (his favorite)

Thanks for the replies everyone!!

Last edited by Elvis Lee Mommy; 06-16-2006 at 09:17 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 09:29 PM
Lyn
Newborn Pup

My parents have scotties and they were told by their vet not to feed popcorn.
Jo

"It is what it is, it's not what it should have been or what it could have been, it is what it is!"

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 10:30 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I've always heard that mushrooms were bad for dogs. I need to check out the website Jade posted and see what it says.

Rhonda

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 10:48 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Mushrooms (wild ones) are VERY toxic.

Stephanie

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 08:45 AM
SwC
Part of the Pack

Dont forget about the cocoa mulch that people put in thier yards! Most dont even think about how toxic this is to thier pets.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 11:49 PM
Leo
Driving Diva

My vet actually told me to feed my dog table scraps of meat and vegetables like beans & carrots (no onions or any of the bad veggies listed). This is part of the diet that he put my dog Gunner on to loose weight... so far he has lost 12 lbs since Feb on table scraps of meat & vegetables, canned food & a very small amount of dry dog food. I don't think tuna is bad for him in small amounts... Tuna and some other fish in large ammounts are actually bad for human consumption because it can contain small amounts of mercury (mercury is not good stuff & linked to memory issues like Alzheimer's). Due to EL's allergy issue I would check the vet to see what stuff you should be avoiding, if they say OK I don't think that people food is bad to give dogs ... some people actually cook seperate meals everyday for their dogs.

~Ignorance can be cured with education~

Mom to:
A little girl (6) and a little boy (4), and 2 dogs
Leo and
Gunner

Proud Coastie Sister!!
My brother is in Virginia at FT school !!

RIP Ed
October 2000-November 2007
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 09:04 AM
Playful Pup

Large quantities of onions or garlic can cause anemia in both dogs and cats. It confuses the body, and the red blood cells attack each other. Now, if puppy gets hold of one onion or two in something you give them, it won't hurt him. Just some people give onions or garlic to their animals on a daily basis, and that's not good. There's been speculation that tomatoes are on that list, but I don't think that's legit... I think that was just a hoax.

Cassie, Proud Owner Of:

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 01:16 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Greenies don't always break down in the digestive system and some dogs have died from Greenies!

www.cnn.com/2006/US/02/14/dangerous.dogtreat
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 08:12 AM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonchild
Greenies don't always break down in the digestive system and some dogs have died from Greenies!

www.cnn.com/2006/US/02/14/dangerous.dogtreat
Yeah, I heard about that, and my grandma used to feed her Yorkie those Greenies! Needless to say, she doesn't anymore!

Cassie, Proud Owner Of:

Tags
canned food, dog food, dry dog food, elvis lee, hind legs, table scraps