giving away kittens and fishy emails - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

I am giving away my kittens on petfinders.com but in the process i have put up two posts one under my name and one under my bfs name im getting flooded with mass emails from ppl wanting kittens with the address ending in yahoo.ca but they claim to live in the u.s. i need to know how to screen these people. they are instantly asking for my name and address i know i have to give it out though in order to give them the kittens when their due. i seriously need help with this. I dont know if their real emails or not. I dont want my babies to go into the hands of the wrong people. feel free to email me with suggestions [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 01:51 PM
SwC
Part of the Pack

I'm not sure of any way to screen to see if they are real. Maybe insist they use a real email address rather than yahoo, msn, etc. Also if they are truly interested then they should have no difficulty in providing you with a valid email.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 02:54 PM
I Stash Little Debbies

maybe even have them call you in person
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 02:51 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Ask for vet references and verify that it is really a vets office via the internet. Be sure to call to check they have an existing relationship with the vets office. The .ca -that isn't US it's Canada. No I would not trust them! If they really have good intentions they will understand you being careful and respect you for it. If they don't well they don't deserve your babies anyway!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 03:05 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I agree with kathydip
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 03:48 PM
I Stash Little Debbies

dito x3
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 05:22 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Anyone can get a yahoo.ca/yahoo.com/yahoo.uk address no matter where you live.
I have a .ca, my boyfriend has a .com and my friend has a .uk and all of us live in Canada.

I woudl find a rescue group who can help you with the adoption process, they have experiacne with this kind of thing and would be able to help you, and ti would be alot less stressful for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Adoption. Is the living option.
Can't Afford The Vet? Can't Afford the Pet!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 12:54 PM
SwC
Part of the Pack

I put up a poster card at the local Petsmart store and was able to personally interview all applicants for the adoption of my rabbits. It was nice as I did find wonderful homes for them and also had the ability to follow-up and check on thier progress later.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 05:27 PM
Crazy Woman Driver

You're right to be wary. I am advertising a pet service on some classifieds and have had a number of very similar sounding emails saying they want to buy my pet for sale! If they had read the posting and were genuinly interested, they would know I was offering a service, not an actual pet. I suspect that these people are just emailing anyone in the hope of getting peoples details eventually.not sure exactly what, but theres some dodgy people about. I'm just wondering if those people you mention are hoaxers too

Caroline
( Just two of my many alter egos )

I
my new job and my girls, Polly puss cat
and Isis puss cat