glue traps - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

glue traps

My live in landlord/roommate buys these and lays them. He leaves them by the edge of walls by the kitchen and dining room but not totally against the walls where mice run. But sometimes they do catch mice. Matt usually oils them and frees them outside. I gets the heebie jeebies. I love mice but wild mice are dirty. I get mad at them bc they also are in our room. (Last week we found a half eaten strawberry massage bar) And I get REAL mad when they gets into my dog food. I don't mind scaring them to heck to get them away from our bed and window and such but once I see them stuck in glue I dies. I lost my appetite trying to free one I found today. Since I was home alone I had to get the oil and do it myself. Unless I'm seriously out of the loop, I think it was a baby. I know wild mice are way smaller than domestic ones but this one was TINY!

Anyway, I think I have to have another talk with my roommate. He bought this house which predates 1900 and apparantly survived the Great Fire in 1892. So there's no way mice will be banished for good. My neighbors have chickens right outside and the walls are a chewed out maze (most likely)... So there's no getting rid of them. But glue traps are the worst kind of punishment. We can't have a cat bc Matt and I really cannot afford another pet and our roommate doesn't want to take care of one. He lets the street cats inside but Coco freaked her out a little so she wanted to leave.

What are your thoughts? Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

Unfortunately the no-kill traps don't always work.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 07:17 AM
RAT ADDICT

I wish I could tell you...but I have been struggling with wild mice since I moved in. However since my apartment was renovated I have not seen/heard or there have not been any signs of mice around...I guess they don't like the new place!

The traps I used are the snap traps,they kill instantly. I never had any issues. The only thing is,you still have to dispose of the mouse. So if you are squeamish in that department...well...

I am not against the live/humane traps,but they are not the best from the research I have done. They can be more cruel sometimes,because if a mouse goes in and nobody checks the trap for days,the mouse will starve to death. But if you do get to the trap in time,you have to release the mouse far away from the house,or it will just come back.

The sonic systems apparently only work for a bit,but the mouse grow immune to them or something,because people have told me after a little while the mice just come back.

Poison and glue traps are horrible...

So the only suggestion I have is snap traps. They are quick/instant. You can get plastic ones which are washable and reusable,but then you have to remove the mouse...or you can get the wooden ones which you just throw away.

I love mice and rats,as you know...but wild ones are NOT welcome in this house.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

D-con has a no view no touch Mouse trap.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Thanks guys
I am squeamish as it turns out. I picked him off with oil and a pencil but I was shaking like a fool. I agree, snap traps are a good solution and we definitely need them for the room but my worst fear with that would be I'll be in the room and its all quite then I'll hear the sudden snap and possibly a death whisper or something. I can't imagine it :/

I have bad memories from no-view no-touch trap when my retarded "ex" had used traps on his KITCHEN counter with fur and tails and stuff in them (which "he" couldn't see) *epic eye roll* If I used them I would check them. With the weather getting nice now I don't feel so bad releasing mice down at the park at the end of the road.

We have sonic things emitting sound in the kitchen. Next to the dishwasher, and mice thrive there. It does not bother them anymore, if it ever did -_- Ugh, if Matt would agree to take care of snap traps, Dominion has 2-packs marked down. :/ I don't wanna see it though.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 01:57 PM
RAT ADDICT

Well I used (I have not had to set them since the apartment was renovated) snap traps,I never heard a "death whisper". I have heard the snap once. But it was so quick,the mouse don't feel nothing I am sure.

Yeah,those sonic things don't work as well as they claim because they either don't bother the mice or they just get accustomed to it.

What was the thing that your ex had? Cause with the plastic reusable snap traps,you don't have to scrape any guts out of it or anything. There is a release button on it and you don't even need to touch the mouse,just press the button and release the body in the garbage or wherever you are putting it and THEN you clean the trap,but there shouldn't be guts like that on them...never was with me...

* Lisa *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Ugh, I have a hollywood version in my head of guts an gore with snap traps :/ Anyway, there's 2 set downstairs now. I hope to jesus I'm not around to hear them snap !!

He had plastic ones but the mice weren't completely inside when they died and pieces were left over. YUK!!!

But my landlord Tim said he's going to gt a kitten!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 06:35 AM
RAT ADDICT

That is gross. I never ever had that issue fortunately! I would probably be scarred for life. The ones in my traps just had their necks broken.

Yay for a kitten. Has he looked at ads yet?

You should get rats...hehe...mice don't like rats and even when I had mice,they NEVER went in the rat room.

* Lisa *

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

No and according to Matt my imagination of hearing them die is quelled. I still havent seen any on the snap traps but Matt has disposed of 3 so far and one more on the glue trap. He threw out all the glur traps and we're going to pick up more snap traps. Seeing in my hands how they work I can appreciate how quick and sudden death comes. That is a relief.
I don't know if Tim has seen ads yet. I picked up a copy of the classified mag (buy and sell) bc for some reason they have been free at mun for a month now. I'll leave it on the table so when he's having supper he can look at it
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 06:54 PM
RAT ADDICT

Oh I wanna see a free Buy & Sell.

WOW...so you been catching a lot of mice then? Sounds like your mouse problem is a lot worse then mine was. I caught ONE mouse maybe every 2 weeks or so.

Good luck on kitteh search though.

* Lisa *

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Well, the glue traps didn't have bait so we weren't catching as many. Now that there's peanut butter bread down there the mice are just going boners for it!! Matt said the bait is always gone when he removes the mice... That means a dead comrade is not stopping the little turds from stepping over their brethren and finishing the treat!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 10:43 AM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple-Hops View Post
Well, the glue traps didn't have bait so we weren't catching as many. Now that there's peanut butter bread down there the mice are just going boners for it!! Matt said the bait is always gone when he removes the mice... That means a dead comrade is not stopping the little turds from stepping over their brethren and finishing the treat!
Haha,mice are stupid compared to rats.

There have been documented cases of rats who would see their friends in a snap trap or glue trap and would learn from the other rat's mistakes and then avoid said traps. Poison too. That is why companies usually have to try making poisons stronger and changing formulas,because rats can outsmart humans.

* Lisa *

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

That's what I remembered from your book I read I'm SO glad our problem is only mice. I'd be pretty mad if rats were involved, not that I don't like them but they seem to be a worse problem than mice.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 01:12 AM
Super Moderator

I used a glue trap once when I had a mouse. My hand accidentally touched the glue, and I felt creeped out by it. The reason why nothing wants to live with me is that I'm really noisey, because I watch TV and am constantly walking around. Using bleach on your counters and floors might irritate the mice enough for them to leave.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

No, leaving bleach around will harm myself, my roommates and possibly my dog. I refuse to leave that around. It does have a potent odor but until we get a cat the snap traps will be at work.