Hamster microwaved - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Hamster microwaved

http://www.pet-abuse.com/cases/13543/CA/US/

Incident Date: Wednesday, Dec 12, 2007
County: Lake

Charges: Felony CTA
Disposition: Alleged
Case Images: 1 files available

Two Lower Lake High School girls were in Juvenile Hall on Wednesday, [April 2, 2008] facing animal cruelty charges for allegedly microwaving a hamster.

The hamster, Bugsy, survived, but later chewed off three feet that were badly burned and had turned black, said Lake County Animal Control Officer Morgan Hermann.

"Now (Bugsy) has one leg," she said.

The girls, ages 14 and 15, allegedly put the hamster in the microwave twice because they were bored. The second time, they saw that Bugsy's feet were cooking, Hermann said.

The girls said they wanted to see the hamster go around and around on the plate in the microwave, said Clearlake Police Officer Carl Miller. They also briefly placed the hamster in a freezer, he said.

The hamster was a birthday gift from the 14-year-old to the 15-year-old, Miller said. The girls' names were not released because they are juveniles.

The incident occurred in December at the 15-year-old's home, but it was not reported to Animal Control and police until late March, after the students had been released for spring break.

The girls were arrested and booked into Juvenile Hall after they returned to school Monday, March 31, 2008. The District Attorney's Office on Wednesday [April 2, 2008] charged them with felony animal cruelty, Miller said.

Bugsy's ordeal came to light because the girls had told other students what they'd done, Miller said.

The girls have admitted to microwaving Bugsy, Miller said. But he said the girls told him they didn't think Bugsy would die because they'd only left the pet in the microwave for about 5 seconds.

"I don't think they think they did anything wrong, which is scary for teenage girls," said Clearlake Police spokesman Lt. Mike Hermann.

Their stay in Juvenile Hall may change that, he said.

A Juvenile Court judge will determine today whether to release the girls or keep them for another 72 hours, Miller said.

The judge also will decide their punishment, which could range from probation to a maximum of one year in the California Youth Authority, which he said was unlikely.

Miller said the girls' parents were unaware of what had happened to the hamster. When he told the 15-year-old's mother, she was first in disbelief, then shock, he said.

Despite the trauma and missing feet, Bugsy apparently is chubby, doing well and has been released to a teacher who had been caring for the animal for several weeks.

"He can jump out of a shoe box. He runs on his nubs," Miller said.

Last year, two teenage girls were arrested in connection with setting a kitten on fire in Santa Rosa's Apple Valley neighborhood and faced animal cruelty charges.

The tale of the treatment and recovery of the kitten -- dubbed Adam the Cat -- drew widespread attention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 01:14 PM
I am allergic to maths

Thats sick and twisted How anyone could do that is beyond me. Poor hamster, I think it should be PTS, Its probably in great pain due to internal injuries, and it will have a poor quality of life living on three stubs. Where are the parents when things like this happen?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 01:54 PM
Adolescent Pup

Its sick!

Charlie the cocker spaniel (Male)

R.I.P, Reggie and Moss (jirdy boys) gone but never forgotten
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~The soul is the same in all living creatures, although the body of each is different. Hippocrates~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 03:04 PM
RAT ADDICT

Thats horrible and disgusting.What is also disturbing is these girls were of age where they should of knew better! This is why I like animals better then humans.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 05:38 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Disgusting...

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 07:20 PM
Hello Earthling

There is a more recent story of a 16 year old boy microwaving his silblings hamster and the parents did not seek treatment for the hamster.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...microwave.html

Quote:
A TEENAGER who cooked his little brother's pet hamster in a microwave was told he faces a custodial sentence yesterday.
The 16-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, left the animal with terrible internal injuries and a seriously burnt hind leg.
But the hamster did not die immediately and the crime only came to light when his mother's friend took the animal to a vet the next day.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1241657/Boy-16-cooked-brothers-hamster-microwave.html#ixzz0dxarqiKt

Last edited by canadiancritter; 01-28-2010 at 07:23 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 08:04 PM
Betta Bomb

I dont care who raised the kids they know whats right and wrong. It may have been an intriguing thought to wonder what happens to a microwaved animal but anoyone who has ever heard the news or old Contemporary legends heard the one about the microwaved cat!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 09:29 PM
Hello Earthling

I personally think that the children (and adults) who do these kinds of things should be punished - harshly, for what they have done. And then recive extenstive treatment and evaluation. Kids who hurt animals are likely to turn to humans....

Slightly off topic, but still have putting things in the microwave. There was a guy who put his baby in a hotel microwave.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 11:23 AM
RAT ADDICT

I have heard stories of people putting animals and babies in ovens and microwaves.Either way,I agree with CC...these people need harsh punishment.Sadly they usually get a "slap on the wrist" so to speak...

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Adolescent Pup

:[
I can not believe how unsuprised i am by this
I too like animals more than people.

~Mommy of~

Sasha - gsd/whatever - R.I.P Feb, 23, 2010 <3
Bella -Wolf/Rot/GSD
Rhiley - Rot/Lab
Roxxi - Rot/Lab
Gracey - Jack Russel.
The cats - - Maddie, Cloud, Abby, Spawn, Snuggles, Sassy, Tigger, Marley, Sid Vicious, and Jasmine [3 Healthy Kittens.]