Help Fight Equine Cruelty - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Help Fight Equine Cruelty

"Your help is urgently needed to prevent the continued slaughter of horses!

The American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act (AHSPA), H.R. 857, has been reintroduced in the United States House by Congressman John Sweeney (R-NY), and Congressman John Spratt, Jr. (D-SC). The AHSPA will ban the slaughter of horses for human consumption and the domestic and international transport of live horses or horseflesh for human consumption.

Americans don't eat horsemeat so it may be a shocking revelation to many people that thousands of horses are slaughtered every year to please the palates of the French, the Belgians and the Japanese. Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of horses are stolen each year for the horsemeat trade. Horses have been our trusted companions and have assisted us throughout history. They deserve a more humane and dignified end to their lives than being slaughtered and served as dinner.

Please contact your Representatives and urge them to join in supporting this important bill. To view a sample letter, please click here and TAKE ACTION NOW! Be sure to add your own personal comments in the space provided."
(from aspca.org)

You can help by going to aspca.org. All you have to do is type in your name, e-mail, and any additional comments you'd like to add to their sample letter. They will send the letter out for you. Please help the horses!

Last edited by veggiegirl; 07-10-2004 at 03:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 12:39 AM

What about the horses I see all the time, who are racers down at the horse track huh? They get beaten for losing a race.... I hate living here, and seeing what meets standards for a stable. It's awful! The state of Indiana put in this "wonderful" horse track, and it stinks! The people who own the horses can't take care of them very well, and half the time they race their horses in poor health, so they can make money by betting against them!
this town is disgusting...

sorry i'm ranting, I just had a run in with a horse jocky / owner today.....he would have made any horse lover puke.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exotica
What about the horses I see all the time, who are racers down at the horse track huh?
Are you asking me a question, or are you just venting?

There are many ways that horses and all animals are abused, but we have an opportunity here to help put an end to the slaughtering of this wonderful animal. Making your representatives aware of your opinions is a great way to take action against things that you feel are wrong. Maybe you should try contacting yours about the tracks in Indiana. I've written letters many times, and they always write me back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl
Are you asking me a question, or are you just venting?

There are many ways that horses and all animals are abused, but we have an opportunity here to help put an end to the slaughtering of this wonderful animal. Making your representatives aware of your opinions is a great way to take action against things that you feel are wrong. Maybe you should try contacting yours about the tracks in Indiana. I've written letters many times, and they always write me back.

not only is it state funded, but it is the ONLY thing holding this town together right now. This town lost 80% of it's employment base, so people are actually WILLING to look the other way on this issue, I really wish the news media would pick it up.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

I'm sure there is an AR group in your area that you could join if you wanted to try to do something. There are many things people can do besides getting upset, which is why I started this thread.

Last edited by veggiegirl; 07-13-2004 at 01:26 AM.