Horses Returned to Abuser? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 04:02 AM
jkimbrell

Thumbs down Horses Returned to Abuser?

A horse abuser in York, South Carolina, Ira Otis Johnson, has managed to get (no doubt paid) a veterinarian to assert that the 13 remaining horses (three have since died) taken into protective custody by sheriff's deputies do NOT look abused! Can you believe this guy! Johnson is now insisting that the York County Sheriff's Office return the remaining horses to him! Please e-mail Sheriff Bruce Bryant and ask that he put the interest of the horses before Johnson and press felony animal abuse charges against this scum--like he should have done in the first place--to make certain that Johnson doesn't get his hands back on those poor horses: [email protected]

You may also wish to write York County Animal Control Director Hannah Snow and thank her for taking good care of the horses: [email protected]

For more information on this horrible case of abuse and neglect, view The Herald articles:

http://www.heraldonline.com/front/st...-1412411c.html
http://www.heraldonline.com/local/st...-1412477c.html
http://www.heraldonline.com/opinions...-1430644c.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 04:22 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Whoa. That's my county, 20 minutes from me. You can bet I'll be emailing him. So sad.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 06:12 PM
jkimbrell

Update on abused horses....

Hey thanks, Jade! Since you're in South Carolina, you may like to check out our animal rights alert list at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCAnimalRightsAlert/

Anyway, I've received the following letter from a York County Attorney. They've already had two weeks to file additional charges, but I take it as a sign that we may get justice served if we keep up the pressure and the scrutiny.

For the Horses,
John

On Fri, 24 May 2002 16:20:20 -0400 "Robinson, Elizabeth" <[email protected]> writes:
Dear Mr. Kimbrell:

Please be assured that we are continuing the investigation in this case. No charges have been dropped and several other charges are pending the outcome of this investigation. At this time, a hearing is being scheduled to determine the status of the horses and their seizure, pursuant to state law. Thank you for the information from the Michigan case. I can assure you that this case is not being handled lightly. Thank you for your concern.

Elizabeth H. Robinson
Staff Attorney
York County Sheriff's Office
1675-2A York Hwy
York, SC 29745
(803)628-3169
[email protected]

Tags
animal abuse, animal control, county animal control