Humane Society of the United States - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Question Humane Society of the United States

I recently read in a post that the Humane Society has the political agenda in favor of not owning animals as pets. I found this hard to beleive. Just curious to see if anyone knows anything about this.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 03:30 PM
I am allergic to maths

That is hard to believe, it also puts animals at risk and can cause over-crowding so it doesnt sound to likely but still... OMG
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 04:40 PM
Curmudgeon

It's not true. You can go to their website and read their statement of policies.

While I don't care for some of the stands that the HSUSA has taken over the years, they have NEVER opposed the keeping of domestic animals as pets.

The poster might have been referring non-domestic animals, ie wolves, skunks or foxes, just to name a few, ...in which case they WERE right. The HSUSA is not in favor of keeping exotics. Presumably, this would include marine aquarium fishes and parrots too.

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 05:06 PM
Hello Earthling

Just out of curiosity. . . What would happen to all the pets that were affected by the law?

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 05:16 PM
Curmudgeon

The Humane Society doesn't make laws, they are a non-profit organization. I daresay most of their funding comes from animal lovers and pet owners. If they had a set policy of getting rid of animals as pets, I'm pretty sure most of their funding would dry up overnight.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 07:36 PM
Herp Nerd

They may not be against dogs and cats as pets (and rabbits, apparently), but they are very much against pretty much all exotics, including birds and all reptiles. Which puts me at direct odds with having any interest in supporting them. PETA is the group that is completely against human use of animals for any purpose at all, though their main lobbying is against the use of animals for food and laboratory testing, their tenets also include statements against keeping pets of any kind.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 09:00 PM
Leo

My local humane society adopts out Dogs, Cats, Birds, Reptiles, Fish, Rabbits, Mice, Rats, Guinea Pigs, Hamsters, Gerbils and even Chinchillas and Hedgehogs. They will pretty much take anything in to give it a 2nd chance in a new home... They are in a BEAUTIFUL facility that has been paid for through private donations. My local community cares about animals and a lot of people leave them donations in their wills.

Ravnos.....Do not even get me started on PETA and the hypocrisy of that organization.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 12:01 PM
RAT ADDICT

Ugh...PETA I dislike.They don't want anyone to own ANY animals.They are big hypocripts though.
As for the HSUS...I hear bad and good things about them,but have no opinion.I actually heard before that they didn't want people to have pets either.I don't know how true that is.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 11:03 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebag View Post
I recently read in a post that the Humane Society has the political agenda in favor of not owning animals as pets. I found this hard to beleive. Just curious to see if anyone knows anything about this.

Thanks!
That is their agenda, with politics it's because they back laws with funding and back specific politicians who will help propose laws that they want. That is how they have the political agenda. I don't find anything hard to believe that a person says on their own under no force to say it. Not that he isn't a liar but his track record sure speaks loud enough to know that not being in favor of domestic animals, aiding in death sentences, ect, ect, ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygala View Post
The Humane Society doesn't make laws, they are a non-profit organization. I daresay most of their funding comes from animal lovers and pet owners. If they had a set policy of getting rid of animals as pets, I'm pretty sure most of their funding would dry up overnight.

Bob
Or not. A lot of PETAs profits, I mean funding comes from the same place. People are ignorant is the problem, they give money because they believe they are helping animals. They are much better off to give to their local organization, local HS or local animal welfare/humane type groups that they know are legit. It is really an outright shame because all that money could be used to actually help animals in so many ways. Low cost s/n, shelters (and the supplies/overhead involved), they are part of the problem. The only difference is PETA is in your face about it. HSUS puts on a better public front. While they are extremist radicals they are not the ones out screaming at people or throwing fake blood at them. Maybe that only makes them more dangerous. If so many people can still be ignorant to PETA's real ways, how many, many more are going to not know the truth about the HSUS and keep supporting them and "donating" gobs of money to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
My local humane society adopts out Dogs, Cats, Birds, Reptiles, Fish, Rabbits, Mice, Rats, Guinea Pigs, Hamsters, Gerbils and even Chinchillas and Hedgehogs. They will pretty much take anything in to give it a 2nd chance in a new home... They are in a BEAUTIFUL facility that has been paid for through private donations. My local community cares about animals and a lot of people leave them donations in their wills.

Ravnos.....Do not even get me started on PETA and the hypocrisy of that organization.
Your local humane society is not at all affiliated with the HSUS. The HSUS is an organization that doesn't run shelters but collects money which they are unable to account for. Many have wanted their non profit status to be removed since they pocket millions that don't go to help the animals.

Check Them Out

Last edited by Spicy_Bulldog; 03-28-2009 at 11:05 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 10:27 PM

Spicy bulldog: Thanks for the information, I'll refrain from making donations to HSUS and stick to local shelters.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 10:44 AM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicy_Bulldog View Post
That is their agenda, with politics it's because they back laws with funding and back specific politicians who will help propose laws that they want. That is how they have the political agenda. I don't find anything hard to believe that a person says on their own under no force to say it. Not that he isn't a liar but his track record sure speaks loud enough to know that not being in favor of domestic animals, aiding in death sentences, ect, ect, ect.

If so many people can still be ignorant to PETA's real ways, how many, many more are going to not know the truth about the HSUS and keep supporting them and "donating" gobs of money to them.

Your local humane society is not at all affiliated with the HSUS. The HSUS is an organization that doesn't run shelters but collects money which they are unable to account for. Many have wanted their non profit status to be removed since they pocket millions that don't go to help the animals.

Anytime I see the word "agenda" come up in this kind of context, I know it's going to be and entertaining (yet unsubstantiated) trip into corporate mind control. I will add a little bit of the commonsense alternative to Spicy_Bulldog's boring, internet conspiracy theory.

While Spicy_Bulldog has some interesting innuendos (and they are always fun to read and disseminate on the forums, aren't they) ...does she have anything to substantiate these things? ...any proof at all? Maybe a leaked memo of some kind? How about a REAL news article from a REAL new organization, like the New York Times, the Washington Post, the Wall Street Journal, someplace that actually has reporters? ...anything?

Unfortunately, (...and I find this sad) things just seem to take on a life of their own, regardless of how well they are factually supported. Take for example the posting by RenishaS that seems to blindly accept everything Spicy_Bulldog, without asking a single question about it. ...even though, it's strongly counter intuitive to believe it. Making stuff up and quoting other conspiracy theorists seems to be all factuality that's necessary on the internet.

If you do a search, you will find most of your queries end up at one of the Petdefense websites. A group only marginally (if at all) better than PETA. They twist words and phrases from "real" news stories, quote things out of context and blame all of ills of the animal world on a "bunch of strung together corporations, both in the USA and abroad" that (they claim) are REALLY the Humane Society of the US. ROFL, it sounds like the CIA could take lessons from them!

I'm not swayed by soft, cuddly animals, and I don't see eye-to-eye with HSUS on tons of things. Fact of the matter, I think they are too soft on pets and pet owners.

However, I do NOT think they are against the ownership of domestic animals. I think anyone that DOES think that should take some time off from the internet and switch to Decaf. Seriously. Show me someplace on their website that says "We want you to give up ALL of your pets, ...not just the exotic ones, ...ALL of them!" Don't give me this crap about the laws "they helped write" or the "politicians they helped elect". Show me some campaign donations and what the politicians have done to deserve those donations? ...Heck show me a politician that says we should give up our pets!

So if you have some proof, ...that isn't just because some happens to have written some MORE innuendo on some website or blog, ...I mean some proof. I'd love to hear/see it.

...and yes, I've seen all the crap Petdefense has put up in their boring, never ending campaign to smear the HSUS. They are the same tactics PETA and every other internet organization (that is up to no good IMO) uses.

If you trust them and their "facts" so much, ... take a close look at their "articles". They certainly seem to support breeders and puppy mills, pet stores, dog fighting, the pet product industry, ....all of the organizations that make money off of me and you, ...and incidentally organizations that don't care for some of the legislative oversight advocated by the HSUS that would apparently be good for the consumer and the animal, ...but not so good for THEIR bottom line. Here is a quote from one of their "articles":
Quote:
Animal extremists such as Peta and HSUS lure the young and naive, especially ONLINE + spend huge time, money, energy and hire TV personalities and movie stars to work on closing down pet stores, hobby breeders, commercial breeders and individuals from advertising + selling their own dogs
I can see how they would want to attack any organization (like the HSUS) that is trying to keep down the number of pets in shelters by encouraging adoption instead of breeding. That is a threat to those puppy mills and the stores that sell the animals from them.

So, who do you trust? Seriously? Do your own research, don't just read what folks like me and Spicy_Bulldog post on forums. That's lame.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"

Tags
humane society, pets, political