I dont know what to say. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Has Delusions of Safety

I dont know what to say.

A local Humaine Socitey had a dog come in and test positive for parvo. They shut the shelter and put every animal inside to sleep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 02:04 PM
Part of the Pack

What? Because one dog tested postive for parvo? I don't get it?!?!?! Last time I saw something like that they quarintined the sick and animal and tested the others in the shelter before homing them to make sure they were okay still. poor animals didn't even get a chance!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 02:09 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I would think that they would quartine(sp?) the animal. Putting all the animals to sleep doesnt exactly seem like the best idea to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 02:20 PM
Part of the Pack

That is so wrong. I agree they didn't even give them a chance.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 05:39 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

wow, I have never heard of that happening before...I have seen quarintines and testing all to make sure and so on, but that is just so wrong, I hope someone steps up and holds them accountable for the mass murder

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 08:50 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

That is so sad! What was their reasoning for doing this? Parvo can be overcome, or so I thought?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 09:48 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I looked it up and I didn't see anything. I'm not discrediting your story but I know that something like this would make the news. I doubt if a humane society would do that. Even if they thought that it was be an "easy" way (I know how some humane societies are run) to get rid of animals, I think it would make headlines, because it's wrong.

*Missy*
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 09:55 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Where abouts did this happen?
That is very wrong.

Adoption. Is the living option.
Can't Afford The Vet? Can't Afford the Pet!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Has Delusions of Safety

The humane Society was in Nevada MO. I called the TV station that ran the story. They said the animal control officer brought the dog in, after the dog was put down she called the chief of police (their animal control is under the Police department) and the Chief decided to put all of the animals down that night. After it happened the city council conviened and took over controll of the shelter.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 05:57 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

i'm just surprised it wasn't aired nationwide, I really didn't want to sound rude or offend you, I just think it's odd is all.

*Missy*
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 11:46 PM
Adolescent Pup

That is very dissapointing to hear, thanks for sharing the story.

Lois Isabel

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 10:10 PM
Part of the Pack

Let's hope that the person responsable gets dealt with >\
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 06:29 AM
User Is No Longer Welcome

That happend here is Indiana too. I think it was 2 years ago that the Morgan County Shelter got a puppy with parvo and they put all the dogs that were in the "puppy room" to sleep. I don't think they had to money to treat them all. I don't think it was even on the news, a shelter worker told me about it. I got my dog from there and I used to foster dogs for them. They seem to have a lot of problems with sicknesses and I have not fostered for them for over a year.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 03:31 PM
I Heart My Job

How awful...

sparkle->
shadow->

To seize the dragon is to face life.

I've been frosted!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 09:06 PM
Playful Pup

Dr. Wendell O. Belfield, DVM uses the sodium ascorbate form of vitamin C injections( half a gram per pound of body weight, yes, that's correct) given intravenously twice a day for five days. He stressed that once this process was started NOT TO INTERRUPT IT FOR ANY REASON not even if the pet appeared to be feeling better or fully recovered before the five days were up. Because he says " treatment broken off in the middle permits the virus to take the offensive again". He has a website www.belfield.com but did not mention this cure there, he mentioned it in his book called How To Have a Healthier Dog . It works for dogs as well as cats.

So it would appear that putting all the dogs down in a shelter because one tests positive for parvo isn't due to lack of a cure, but lack of accountability .

"We can solve well over 90% of the all chronic diseases with simple, inexpensive natural therapies." Dr. J. Mercola

Tags
animal control, animal control officer, humane society