I love you fish - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Angry

Has anyone heard about this? There is a pet store in Michigan (my state) that sells fish with I *heart* U tatooed on it. When the newscaster asked if it hurt the fish, the lady said, "I don't know, I'm not a fish." Does this seem cruel to anyone else? Of course it hurts, no one gets tatoos because they feel good. They're supposed to be a "novelty Valentine's day present." I think a good ole box of chocolates would do fine...

I guess I don't understand why they can't just find some non permenent paint thats non - toxic or something. But I don't know much about fish, so maybe that doesn't work...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 09:21 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

the color is engraved into their scales. Theres a post about this on the fish forum.

*Missy*
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 02:24 PM
Obsessed with Criss Angel

I can definately see that tattoo hurting the fish.It IS cruel beyond cruel!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 06:10 PM
Title Thief Victim

yea, thats deffiantly a horrible thing... I don't understand why anyone would want to do ti!

Carissasaurus Rex
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Little says love like a tattooed fish

Here is an article about it...

I like what the guy from PETA said. "Nothing says I love you like cruelty to animals."
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 09:50 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

How terrible! I have 2 tatoos and they HURT. I won't pretend they didn't. The only things that made it bareable is I knew what was going on and I wanted them. These poor fish don't understand and I am sure they don't want to be tattooed! Just the fact they remove them from the water to do it is horrible. How would they like the air to be removed from their environment? It's just terrible.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 10:14 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i hope everyone that gets them dump their boyfriends for it

[/CENTER]

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 10:23 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

LOL Kendalle.

They actually remove that protective slime from their skin too. A lot of the fish don't make it. The mortality rate is high.

*Missy*
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 11:21 PM
Newborn Pup

How would someone even come up with this idea in the first place? And more than that, why would anyone chose to buy something like this knowing the pain and stress that was caused to the helpless animal. I am amazed that any fish survive this torture.

Proud mamma of:
Ziggy (piggie)
Smore (piggie)
rest in peace Jose (iguana)

There is no such thing as a disposable pet
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 01:17 AM
RAT ADDICT

Thats ridiculous! So cruel... I am not suprised anymore by how cruel humans are!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Newborn Pup

yes its cruel, but why are all of you so worked up over this? you say that giving a fish a tatoo is cruelty and should be stopped but does anyone consider the feelings of thousands of fish as they are stabbed in the mouth with a sharp metal hook then dragged through the water and picked up by it? either to be eaten or to be thrown back in to endure the pain till the wound heals?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 01:57 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

ya i seen this before its stupid..... tatooed fish... people are nuts..... dont want tatooed fish thanks anyhow..... ya know what i mean.....

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 06:04 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

I agree with you givemewings and that is a good point you raise. I personally dont agree with fishing and throwing them back!! I also think its ridiculous that we are now tattoing fish and if my hubby bought me one i would ditch him on the spot coz i know how much a tattoo hurts! x

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 10:27 AM
RAT ADDICT

I am also against "sport fishing".I think it is stupid to catch a fish and then throw it back,this stresses the fish out,as well as harms it.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Usually 'catch and release' fishing is ordered by law when fish of certain sizes are cought. The theory is that they will recover from the stress and injury of the hook and be able to eventually breed. It's a way to try to maintain the fish population - if all the fish of breeding ages were taken out of the water, you'd have no more fish! And with fishing, you can't choose which fish you catch like you could maybe decide which animal to shoot while hunting.

I'm not trying to debate that the fish gets stressed out or anything like that, just saying that fish and wildlife consider catch and release to be a useful population management tool - and it is a law that some fish have to be released, so the fisherman arn't always releasing the fish because they want to, they're doing it because they have too by law.

Tags
pet store