injecting fish with dye - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Angry injecting fish with dye

has anyone heard of painted glass fish, jellybean/bubblegum parrot fish, blueberry oscars, fruit tetras etc? sometimes they feed them food that is dyed but it can be pretty harmful. some of them are made by sticking a needle in them to inject colorful dye while others are made by taking the protective slime coating off and dipped or injected with dye then dipped in a chemical that irritates the flesh to stimulate re-growth of the slime coat. when I am in the pet store and I see these pretty colorful fish I want to buy them and take them home and give them the best possible home so they wont suffer too much but at the same time I know it'll encourage the makers of these fish. this is so inhumane!

painted glass fish

Jellybean parrot fish

fruit tetras

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 05:49 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Arrow

Yes, it has been discussed here before...I dont think anyone here thinks its right.

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39433

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showt...ht=tattoo+fish

Lve Never Fails

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 09:37 PM
RAT ADDICT

Nope.I am against that!

Just this Christmas they were selling those "jellybean" tetras,which are actually white skirt tetras,however they were dyed red and green and they called them "Christmas Light" tetras! I got into a discussion with the employee and she didn't know they were injected with dye and thought they were actually naturally like that!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

I actually use to think that alot of those colorful fish were naturally those colors as well.

I remember when I was a kid my mom had a fishtank and use to get those fruit tetras (she didn't know they were died either), but the couple of times she got them they never lived more then a couple of weeks and we could never figure out why. Guess we know why now, poor fishies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
pet store