Joplin Humaine Society Strikes again! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Has Delusions of Safety

Joplin Humaine Society Strikes again!

Yet another great story from our local newspaper!

joplinglobe.com

Owner doggone frustrated

The Joplin Globe

By Rich Brown

[email protected]

Garry Douglas can take the word "doggone" in two ways.

The Joplin man's pet Shih Tzu has literally been gone for over a month and, even though he knows where it is, he says he'll be doggoned if he knows how to get it back.

The owner reported to police about the first of June that the dog had been stolen from his yard. He said he also alerted the Humane Society to be on the lookout and put up fliers in the neighborhood.

Nothing happened until earlier this week when Douglas learned via coincidence that his beloved "Cocoa" was at the Joplin Humane Society.

The discovery occurred when he accompanied his daughter, Christina, to the pound. She also was looking for a dog, her Shih Tzu, which had been brought to the Humane Society a few days earlier as a stray.

As the two checked through the animals, they came upon not only the younger Douglas' pet, but also "Cocoa."

"Cocoa" had not been picked up as a stray, but had been turned over to the Humane Society on June 30 as a "give-up," a label given animals brought in by people who say they can no longer care for them.

But along with the good news, Douglas also got some bad news. Although Christina Douglas was able to pay the fee necessary to retrieve her canine, her father soon found that it was not going to be that easy for him.

"They told me I had to pay $50 to get my dog," Garry Douglas said. "That was the adoption fee, and then I would have to pay another $50 to get it fixed because they said they wouldn't let it out before it is fixed."

Wayne Cunningham, Humane Society manager, said this scenario is not anything new.

"This happens quite a bit where people cannot afford to get their animals," he said. "If a dog (or any pet) is not claimed within five days, it is considered property of the Humane Society."

As its property, the Humane Society is required by its rules to only release the animal after payment of a $50 adoption fee and $50 spaying or neutering fee.

Since Douglas has not been able to meet the fee requirements, Cunningham said the dog is currently up for adoption

Another factor making it even more difficult for Douglas is that he had planned to have "Cocoa" bred, so even if he did come up with the required fees, the plans for puppies would have to be discarded.

But Douglas said he guesses that he will have to resign himself to losing the dog.

"I want my dog, but I ain't got $100," he said. "I don't have any money. My wife and I are on a fixed income."

Positive ID

"I noticed the color and the way it looked that it was his dog," Christina Douglas said about spotting Garry Douglas' pet at the pound in Joplin.

And people wonder why I hate Joplin Humaine Society!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 02:17 PM
Crazy Woman Driver

what can i say!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Caroline
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( Just two of my many alter egos )

I
my new job and my girls, Polly puss cat
and Isis puss cat

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 02:24 PM
Adolescent Pup

Hmm, I wonder who turned it in?
I have a slight hunch that maybe an animal activist stole it, knowing that it was going to be used for breeding, and turned it in. I know that sounds a little crazy, but it sounds completely plausible to me. I have a friend that is part of the ALF that does that sort of thing.

We are all teachers on this earth, let's act like we know what we're doing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 02:41 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I have pretty mixed feelings about this.. so this guy is dead broke, can't afford $100 to get his 'beloved' pet back, but plans of breeding?! How does he afford emergency vet trips for Cocoa? Yah it sucks his dog was stolen (if it was stolen.. who knows) and he would have to pay to get it back, but anyone I know would jump in and gladly give $100 to get their baby back by any means.. I dunno.. story sounds kinda weird to me..
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 02:59 PM
Adolescent Pup

Yah, I was thinking that the breeding was going to pay some bills. Ugh. Fantastic. Well, I hope the dog goes with a nice family.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 03:02 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_vegan
Yah, I was thinking that the breeding was going to pay some bills. Ugh. Fantastic. Well, I hope the dog goes with a nice family.
I have to agree with you there.. I hate it when people use their pets as financial vessels

I could be totally wrong in thinking that, it could very well be a different situation, but that's the impression that I get.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 03:11 PM
Leo
Driving Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy
I have pretty mixed feelings about this.. so this guy is dead broke, can't afford $100 to get his 'beloved' pet back, but plans of breeding?! How does he afford emergency vet trips for Cocoa? Yah it sucks his dog was stolen (if it was stolen.. who knows) and he would have to pay to get it back, but anyone I know would jump in and gladly give $100 to get their baby back by any means.. I dunno.. story sounds kinda weird to me..
I was kind of thinking along the same lines.... I mean come on he was planning on "making money" by breeding his dog... we all know that there is not much money to be made in proper breeding (I'm kind of glad they are going to sterilize his dog, because I bet he wouldn't have had it certified as genetically healthy before studding it out). If it were my dog I would have called the humane society and shelters everyday to see if they found my dog. $100.00 would not keep me from getting my dog back even if I personally didn't have the money I would ask everyone and anyone for a loan to get my dog out.

And what is the deal with his daughter loosing her dog also???? why didn't they have any identifying marker on their dog like a tattoo or a microchip? I guess these people don't sound like very responsible pet owners to me if they keep loosing their pets??

~Ignorance can be cured with education~

Mom to:
A little girl (6) and a little boy (4), and 2 dogs
Leo and
Gunner

Proud Coastie Sister!!
My brother is in Virginia at FT school !!

RIP Ed
October 2000-November 2007
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 03:22 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo
If it were my dog I would have called the humane society and shelters everyday to see if they found my dog. $100.00 would not keep me from getting my dog back even if I personally didn't have the money I would ask everyone and anyone for a loan to get my dog out.
Same here.. even if it came down to it I would be at a pawn shop selling what I had to make what I needed to get my baby back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo
And what is the deal with his daughter loosing her dog also???? why didn't they have any identifying marker on their dog like a tattoo or a microchip? I guess these people don't sound like very responsible pet owners to me if they keep loosing their pets??
Yah I thought that too
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 05:18 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I'm thinking along the same lines of most folks here. Although it does seem kinda weird that the humane society can come up with some random rule that after 5 days the dog is their property. I wonder if that's legally binding. I mean, I would think that if the owners could prove ownership the dog should be turned over, maybe just for cost of supplies used while the animals were in the HS possession. Of course I don't know the first thing about the legal system, just kinda wondering.

---------------------------
Millie
Mom to 2 crazy kitties and 1 African Clawed frog.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 05:43 PM
Leo
Driving Diva

5 days I believe is standard for most shelters or humane societies... I know our local animal shelter can dispose of a dog at their discretion (adopt it out or euthanize it) after 5 days and there was a story on the news here this past year about a guy that was literally 2 hours late bringing in papers to prove it was his dog and they had already euthanized it by the time he got there

They could prove it was their dog with a photo or registration papers, but the best way to prove a dog is your (and a good way to have a shelter call you if you loose your dog) is to have it tattooed and chipped these are recorded somewhere besides in your house with a tattoo it is registered with the dept of agriculture and the chip is registered through the chip company. Legally speaking though possession is 9/10 of the law, the shelter had the dog for over 5 days, if these people had been actively searching for their dog (which IMO they weren't) they would have found it within that time period and wouldn't have had to jump through these hoops to get their dog back... there are a lot of variables as to why shelters have these rules.

~Ignorance can be cured with education~

Mom to:
A little girl (6) and a little boy (4), and 2 dogs
Leo and
Gunner

Proud Coastie Sister!!
My brother is in Virginia at FT school !!

RIP Ed
October 2000-November 2007
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 06:01 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo
there was a story on the news here this past year about a guy that was literally 2 hours late bringing in papers to prove it was his dog and they had already euthanized it by the time he got there
That's horrible
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Has Delusions of Safety

The Joplin Humaine Soicety side(s) of the story

Told Globe that the dog was turned in by its "owner" a few days before, and after 5 days it was put up for adoption

Told person 1 who called: the dog was turned in weeks ago when some one found it all matted up and they scanned if found a micro chip and it had no name to it, the owner came in had a paper with the number matching and the dog was put up for adoption after 7 days

Person 2: the owner didnt know the dog had a mirco chip until they told them and that the dog had changed ownership atleast 3 times and the current owner had never given the dog any vaccines and it came from a puppy mill and it had popped out litter after litter (its a male)
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 12:15 PM
I Stash Little Debbies

doesn't sound like the dog was his to begin with....

Okay, so I've got a mischevious husband and a few buns...

Grand Marshall NutterButter of TFAN

Code Name: Snow White

PT's Official Poker
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Has Delusions of Safety

Cocoa was his, and thankfully the poor thing is home where it belongs now. Joplin humaine soicety is a horrible place. I nice gentalmen from another town came over and paid the fees so they could get Cocoa back. Joplin really come togeather over this people called the radio stations and started calling in donations, a local gas station put a cup with a pic of Cocoa and raised close to 50 by 3 that afternoon. People called the family all day with donations, but they told them that the first gentalmen was coming to pay it. All the other money raised was donated to local vets for animal care funds. (nobody wants to do anything for the jerks at the humaine soicety) I feel so bad for the animals because they are the ones suffering. I called and spoke with members of the city council, who said they had recived a number of calls and were going to look into policys and possible staff changes after all the BS that has gone down out there. (in 6 months 6 dogs that were being held there either picked up as strays, wait on court cases, or what ever were pts hours before there owners arrived to pick them up in one case they wre removing the dogs body from the gas chamber as the family with there 7 year daughter walked in, Joplin does the euthenaize in there lobby!)
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 12:55 PM
Adolescent Pup

In the lobby? That's terrible.
We were having a lot of issues with ours for a while too. The director was never there, and when she was, she was putting animals down left and right. At least now we have a new director who actually cares a bit. Has anyone asked about finding a new Society director for your area?

Tags
adoption fee, animal care, animal shelter, emergency vet, humane society, kennel cough, local animal shelter, pet owner, puppy mill, responsible pet owner, shih tzu