Just about 300 chihuahuas in a lil' house... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Just about 300 chihuahuas in a lil' house...

So, living in MI, I've heard alot about this over the last few days. Decided to post it here. Basically a man horded about 300 chihuahuas in his house, about half dead.

Here's the article~
Quote:
DEARBORN, Mich. - Police on Friday found about 150 dead dogs packed in freezers in the basement of a Michigan house littered with feces and trash where more than 110 live dogs, mostly Chihuahuas, were rescued this week.
Dearborn Police Chief Ronald Haddad said the 56-year-old man found Wednesday in the suburban Detroit home with the animals may have been living with an increasing number of dogs for up to three or four years.
"The house was in complete disarray, very cluttered and, with 100-plus dogs running around in there, very filthy," he said.
A criminal investigation was under way, Haddad said. He said the case could be forwarded to prosecutors as soon as Monday for possible animal-cruelty charges.
[Inset man's name here] lived alone in the two-story brick home for years after his parents retired to Florida, said lawyer James G. Schmier, who was acting as a spokesman for [mans last name] family. Schmier said Lang had no health insurance and a mental impairment that stemmed from rubella as a child.
"I think this is a very human story of a guy who had some very severe mental issues," Schmier said. He said he thinks Lang was doing his best to care for the dogs but, given his mental condition, "failed miserably."
Haddad said 112 live dogs had been removed from the home as of Friday afternoon, and police believe about five more may be hiding inside. He declined to release details about the breed of the dead dogs.
Lang was taken to a local hospital earlier in the week for observation, and Schmier said he was getting a psychiatric evaluation. Investigators previously said he apparently was hoarding the dogs
Schmier said he doesn't think Lang would be charged in part because of his mental state. Schmier said he doesn't believe Lang was trying to abuse the dogs but had "no idea how to get out" of the situation.
Neighbors in the past had complained of an odor at the Dearborn home, which had a neatly cut lawn and manicured bushes. But this week was the first time officials got inside, and crews needed masks to breathe.
Trash was piled from floor to ceiling in places, and feces and urine was throughout the home. Forty-two ailing and feces-covered dogs were rescued Wednesday. Crews returned Thursday and found more than 60 dogs.
About 10 more live dogs were found Friday, police said.
The smell, noticeable from the street Thursday and Friday, may have been contained previously because windows were closed and covered. Haddad said police investigated following a call from a neighbor about the odor.
"They are rather touched by the enormity of this," Haddad said of police, animal control offers and contractors working at home.
The rescued dogs were taken to the Dearborn Animal Shelter, where residents brought dog food donations and filled out pet adoption applications. The first dogs could be adopted in the coming weeks.
Sandra Boulton, a spokeswoman for the shelter, said the dogs sent to the shelter were either Chihuahuas or Chihuahua mixes. She said most had long nails, fleas and were dirty but were relatively healthy.
One local resident who dropped off four 20-pound bags of dog food said she didn't want to go inside the shelter to see the rescued dogs because she was afraid she would want to adopt one.
"It's not much. It's only four bags, but it will feed them today," said Margaret Metas, 81, of Dearborn Heights, who already has two dogs.
Also, [saw this on the news] the kids on the street could never get sleep from SO much barking, and the stench was SO BAD that you could smell it down the street. Poor lil' babies.

About 117 are alive, 150 are dead, and tomorrow they're STILL going back for more because of so many.

You put a baby in a crib with an apple and a rabbit. If it eats the rabbit and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 09:02 PM
the rodent lover<3

Did you mention we might adopt one?

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx Angelica<3 View Post
Did you mention we might adopt one?
Oh, yes.

You put a baby in a crib with an apple and a rabbit. If it eats the rabbit and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 05:24 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I heard about that last night! So terribly sad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 10:14 AM
Playful Pup

Oh No! How awful....

Wow - How can someone be so ILL like this..?
It has to be a sickness to hord dogs or pets!
wow - thanks for sharing...

Marie

Hi - If you need help with home-cooking dog /cat food recipes - I can help: Also, NuVET supplements..
Just ask -

Want a sample of the NuVET allergy blaster?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrWoodyspets View Post
I heard about that last night! So terribly sad
Yup -_-

Quote:
Originally Posted by pet-nurse-marie View Post
Wow - How can someone be so ILL like this..?
It has to be a sickness to hord dogs or pets!
wow - thanks for sharing...

Marie
No problem. I honestly think he has a mental issue, though it hasn't come out if he does or not. But THAT many dogs, and I've seen pictures of the house, and its SMALL. I just don't get it. >_<

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Hello Earthling

Oh I saw this on an american news station last week. Poor dogs

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 05:58 PM
Adolescent Pup

i heard that to. i feel so bad for all the animals that have to live like that. i don't see how people could do that.

~Sam-Woodmor~

My pets-

Jewel and Ruby

Merlin

Gotta Love Them

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 10:33 AM
Part of the Pack

Stories like this is why I don't watch the news. Normally I would be horrified and outraged but it sounds like the man responsible has some serious mental issues and is now in the treatment he desperately needs. I hope they find good homes for the dogs that are left.

~Ren~
Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet.

Rags- Blue Healer/Border Collie Mix

Nelix- Yellow Lab Mix

Tippy- Black and White Fancy Rat

Fredi- Tan and White Fancy Rat

RIP- Aggie, Dorito
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Happy-Go-Lucky

I've heard about this stuff here and there. While horrible, it's hard to hold him responsible if he's not mentally stable. But SOMEONE should have known/watched him.

Most of the time I hear about it, it's just the people who have that hoarding compulsion. Usually it's just items, but it'll manifest itself in anything (including animals). I'm glad to see he's getting the help he needs.

Margaret Metas is a doll, too. I'd be just like her - "Take the food but don't make me go in there; I'll come out with a car fuller then it was!"

I'm working on a new siggy! So you'll just have to look at this text until then.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 01:54 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

It is sad that things like these happen and usually the people don't get charged with animal cruelty because hoarding is a major issue. I have major issues when things like this happen because all I can think is spay or neuter your pet. There are TONS of resources and people who are willing to do it for free but yet people still don't get their animals fixed. It's one of the reasons why there are so many feral cats (a huge problem in my area)

Another sad thing is a lot of these dogs probably weren't properly socialized and I'm sure the HS would consider them unadoptable and euthanize them.

*Missy*
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 01:14 PM
Playful Pup

From what I've seen, the subsidized and free spay/neuter services are for cats and dogs only. While they're obviously the most common pets, rabbits or ferrets could easily get out of hand too. I remember hearing a story about a crazy Oregon rabbit lady who had about 150-ish rabbits hopping around her house.

What I don't understand is how that's even POSSIBLE. Unless you live in a mansion, how would you even have space to walk around? I'd imagine the whole floor would be covered in animals and waste by then.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 05:22 PM
I am allergic to maths

Thats horrible! Where did he even get them from?! Angelica and Frankz~ Are you going to be adopting one?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 04:48 AM
Playful Pup

That is a severe obsession for chihuahuas! That is so sad. The chihuahuas might die because of diseases which can be transmitted easily by the little space and the great number of chihuahuas.

are like potato chips, you really can't have just one…