Kids picking on dogs...if they bite, who is to blame? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Kids picking on dogs...if they bite, who is to blame?

Hello, sorry for the semi-long post, but I'd like to provide details so I get the best advice all of you knowledgeable folks have to offer.

My mother-in-law has 4 dogs (male chocolate lab, male mini daschund, male cavalier king charles spaniel, and a female yellow lab mix). She has fenced a portion of her backyard for the dogs to play in. Her neighbors have 2 sons, we're not sure of their ages, but would guess around 10-12 years. These kids have begun harassing the dogs through the fence...yelling, taunting, running their dog up and down the fence and generally just getting all dogs involved in a frenzy. Well, yesterday one of my MIL's dogs (the female, Lucy) got SO aggravated, that she attacked another of my MIL's dogs (the mini Daschund, Max). Max had to be taken to the emergency vet and have stitches. Luckily, he is okay. The vet said it wasn't too surprising. Lucy couldn't readily get to the source of her torment, so took it out on whomever was closest.

Now, what happens if one of her dogs manages to go over the fence and after the kids or their dogs? I've never been over there when this happened, but I've never seen these dogs anything but sweet so it's hard to imagine.

She's going to go talk to the kids' parents and file a complaint with law enforcement. I mean, these kids are on HER property tormenting the dogs. Leave 'em the heck alone already! I hope the parents aren't schmucks and will actually do something about it. Otherwise I guess she's going to have be be out in the backyard at all times when the dogs are.

And frankly, even if she is out there if those kids go running past and tormenting, the dogs may not listen to her.

Thanks for suggestions and listening.

---------------------------
Millie
Mom to 2 crazy kitties and 1 African Clawed frog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by millie121; 07-05-2006 at 07:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 07:56 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I think her plan sounds good. Go to the parents and give them a chance to be parents. I don't have the highest of hopes that they will actually do anything but they should be given a chance. And if that does not work filing a complaint is the next best step. After that I would suggest she get a video camera so that if they come by again she calls the police first and while waiting for them video tape the kids in action.
I really cannot stand it when parents stand by and let children tease animals. Really what would they do if other children were doing that to one of thier kids - they would flip out! I also don't understand how parents brush off these nasty actions against animals. This is a danger sign of how they will eventually treat other human beings. And I really think that they should watch b/c it can escalate out of control. Children need to be taught to respect all life!
I guess the only other suggestion would be an electric fence on the outside of her fence! I am not sure about the laws on that but I heard of one man at election time who kept having his political signs stolen so he electrified them! It worked!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 07:57 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

if they do attack the kids they will probably be put down no matter if the kids were at fault or not. i know its messed up, but its just the way it works. id complain to the police and the parents

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 07:59 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I would think that if the kid were tormenting the dogs, sticking his fingers through the fence then it would be the kid's/parents fault if he is bit because he is on private property and the dog is "contained"....now if the dog were to jump OVER the fence and bites the kids, the owner of the dog would probably be liable.

I would be video taping every single incident, talking to the parents and if they don't do anything then take the video tape to the cops. That's total

Rhonda

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 08:39 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

yeah, best thing to do is prevent it.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 08:55 PM
Playful Pup

Check out http://www.dogbitelaw.com I've used this site as a reference many times for my clients who have had their dogs bite people or kids been bitten by others dogs.

Kara L. VanDenBerg
Lake Effect Pet Training

Free dog training tips, cat training tips, articles, breed information, and various pet information by a professional animal behaviorist. We have many items available to purchase to benefit rescue.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 09:28 PM
RAT ADDICT

I agree with almost everyone.Definatly tape the incidents so you have proof that these kids are tormenting your dogs.I mean your mother in law's dogs.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 09:31 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

That is a great site. Thanks for sharing.

Sadly, there is very small odds that your mil will not be considered liable. Almost always, the dog and dog owner are responsible regardless of the act of the "victim" in question. Does that make it right, NO... but sadly there it is.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 09:52 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

yep, thats what i was saying

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 11:11 PM
Leo
Driving Diva

It really depends on where you live and what your state laws are... I can only relay what would happen where I live... if a kid (under 12) comes in my yard and into my locked dogs area and starts beating on my dog with a metal bat and my dog bites them I am liable and my dog will probably be destroyed.... that is the way it is here in MI.... I would have her video tape these little hellions and their devilish behavior and bring it over to their parents to view... if they don't do anything about it she needs to call the cops and have a restraining order against them preventing them from trespassing in her yard... also a call to social services could be in order if these parents aren't watching their kids and allowing them to enter her yard when she has told them they aren't allowed to play in it.. putting up no trespassing signs on the property edge could be a good first step although it might be seen as a little rude to the neighbors, but heck these kids sound like big time defiant brats and it is sooo rude to let your kids play on someone else's property where they arent welcome.... I am so glad there aren't any kids living next to me to worry about. I'm a 27 year old mom of 2 little kids, but I swear my tolerance level for other peoples children is that of a grouchy old man when it comes to bratty, rude, not polite behavior in children of any age.

~Ignorance can be cured with education~

Mom to:
A little girl (6) and a little boy (4), and 2 dogs
Leo and
Gunner

Proud Coastie Sister!!
My brother is in Virginia at FT school !!

RIP Ed
October 2000-November 2007
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 10:53 AM
Aspires to Change Oil

Good suggestions all around. I'm sure you'll be held liable, evenif the kids provokes the dog. You could perhaps convince the courts to have them evaluated by the SPCA if it comes to that... hopefully the parents will step in and take control of their kids.

If not, law enforcement is good to get involved. Video is a great suggestion of proof. Also, if it gets really out of hand, the suggestion of social services might be a last resort. If the parents are not watching their children and allowing them to create a potentially dangerous situation wit your mil dogs.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Thanks for the feedback everyone. And thank you Ikeffect for the link, I will pass it along. I will certainly mention the videotape idea as the property is set up very well for some undercover surveillance. I'll have to call her and see what the Sherriff said. I'm really hopeful that none of the dogs could get over the fence, but when they're that worked up...who knows. She's really so upset over it anyhow that I don't think the dogs will be allowed out without her in the backyard anyhow.

Very unfortunate that these kids think this is acceptable behavior. Makes me wonder what they're doing to their own dog. I sincerely hope they are kinder to that animal.

Edit: my MIL went to talk to the parents, who apologized, made the kids apologize and said if the kids ever do anything else to just let them know. So, I'll keep my fingers crossed that this will be the end of it.

Millie

Last edited by millie121; 07-06-2006 at 05:59 PM.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 01:19 PM
Part of the Pack

If anything you could have taken the parents to court to make them pay for the vet bills since their kids are responsible for it, this would most probably encourage the parents to get involved and motivate them to teach the kids some manners.

That is, if talking to them didn't work ^_~
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 11:58 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

please be careful leveing the dogs in a fenced in yard by themselves people around here used to steal dogs in fences or tyed outside for a cult sacrafice there was also a case a couple weeks back where 2 pit bulls got hung after being left in a fecned in yard together. someone broke into the yard and tyed a noose around the dogs and put the other side onto a part of the fence and hung them they died just make sure to keep checking on them. sorry i just don't want anything to happen to them ok now back on topic it would prob sadly be your mom's fault and the dogs would prob have to be put down i know it sucks but thats the laws for ya

why breed or buy when shelter animals die

home to:
1 dog a pit bull named Troy and a border collie/golden retrever/boxer mix named Amber

and 7 cats (Butterfly, Furchol, Carmel, Nova, Hope, Shaddy& Christian)

3 rats Flora, Fauna, & Merryweather
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbullforever
please be careful leveing the dogs in a fenced in yard by themselves people around here used to steal dogs in fences or tyed outside for a cult sacrafice there was also a case a couple weeks back where 2 pit bulls got hung after being left in a fecned in yard together. someone broke into the yard and tyed a noose around the dogs and put the other side onto a part of the fence and hung them they died just make sure to keep checking on them. sorry i just don't want anything to happen to them ok now back on topic it would prob sadly be your mom's fault and the dogs would prob have to be put down i know it sucks but thats the laws for ya
It is indeed a sad world we live in...and it's not like they were left alone while my MIL left the property or anything, just while puttering about the house. Anyhow, she has been keeping an even better eye on them than normal, and after the parents made their kids apologize I haven't heard of any more mischief.

Millie

Tags
cavalier king charles, cavalier king charles spaniel, chocolate lab, emergency vet, king charles spaniel, lab mix, pit bull, pit bulls, yellow lab, yellow lab mix