Landlord's 'ownership' of your dog - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Landlord's 'ownership' of your dog

I am looking for a new place to rent. I have two Presa Canarios and a landlord showed me this article and said it is why he is afraid to rent to a person that owns large dogs.
I am curious if I am reading this right. It basically says the landlord is liable if the dog attacks someone and I understand that part, but it says the landlord is liable because the landlord is considered the 'owner' of my dogs.
Am I reading this wrong, since the judge could have only used the world liable instead of saying the LL is an owner, or does this judgement pretty much mean that a landlord could walk on my property and sell my dogs if he wanted since legally he is their 'owner'
Quote:
The Supreme Court granted discretionary review and focused on the language of KRS 258.235(4) and KRS 258.095(5) in order to determine the landlordís liability. The dog-bite liability statute, KRS 258.235(4), creates liability for the owner of a dog who causes damage to person, property, or livestock. KRS 258.095(5) defines a dog owner as ďevery person having a right of property in the dog and every person who keeps or harbors the dog, or has it in his care, or permits it to remain on or about the premises owned or occupied by him.Ē
The Supreme Court in Benningfield explained that under these statutes a landlord is an owner of a tenantís dog on the leased property when he or she allows the tenant to keep the dog on or about the property.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 06:10 PM
Herp Nerd

The wording of the law pertains to liability, not direct ownership. So your landlord can't turn around and sell your dog, claiming it is his... but for the purpose of the law, which is only in Kentucky as far as I know, your landlord can be held liable for any injury your dog causes on his property, as the person who allows the dog to reside there.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thank you, I was curious if I read to much into that, I'm did and I'm glad I wasn't right. Thnx again.