Legal Action Against Shelter? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Legal Action Against Shelter?

I just wanted to see if any of you have ever been in a legal suit against a shelter. I'm thinking about seeking legal advice, however, I don't know if I even have a good chance to fight a non profit sheleter.

I got a 5 month old kitten from a shelter which told me he was negative for Feline Leukemia. When he came home he was sick from the start, however we thought it was an intestinal issue. The contract I signed specifically says they are not liable for medical damages. For serious diseases they will replace the kitten and they do not consider Giardia.. etc (other intestinal diseases ) serious diseases.

I've spent about 800 so far on the kitten and I found out he is positive for Feline Leukemia. The shelter told me they are willing to give me a new healthy kitten. However, I do not want a new cat. You cannot just return a cat like you can return a cd player that doesnt work.

Not only have I spent 800, but I have put my other cat at risk. It is possible he has already contracted the disease, but I'm hoping he can fight it off since he is older.

I feel like the least they could do is give me my adoption fee of 80 dollars back. I don't know if I even have a chance with the 800.

Anyone ever been through this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Rodentologist

Well, to be fair to the shelter, just because he has FeLeuk doesn't mean that he wasn't tested. It's not uncommon for kittens to have false positives or false negatives, and many vets recommend retesting on 'negative' kittens.

If the shelter made a good faith effort at testing him, and provided you with all the information they had, you DID sign a contract saying they're not liable for medical damages.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I agree with Jennicat. It's an unfortunate situation, but you signed a contract. It's not like the shelter was actively trying to deceive you into adopting a sick cat. You said yourself that you cannot just return a cat like an object. Animals are about more than just money. Costing a non-profit shelter all that money is not going to magically get rid of your cat's illness. It will only make the shelter less able to provide for other animals in the future.

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 02:31 PM
Playful Pup

Sorry, you may not like this because I'm a noob, so what do I know, right? ANYWAY, I agree with the others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Me the person

Missie the Umbrella Cockatoo

Armaggedon the B&G Macaw

BRAND NEW! Micah the African Grey

Leo the Yorkie

Paco the Chihuahua

Tags
leukemia legal