Legal Weaning Age of Cats, California and Washington State? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Legal Weaning Age of Cats, California and Washington State?

Hi. I just recently posted an add on craigslist for 7 kittens that I will be giving away in 4 weeks. They are currently 2 1/2 weeks old. My add was flagged and removed. In my add I did not specify the age of the kittens though. I reside in Washington state, however when I asked why my add was flagged and removed they said that it is against California law to give away kittens under 8 weeks. I was wondering if maybe some one could point me to were it is in the law that it speaks of specific weaning age.

Thanks for your efforts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 12:11 AM
Part of the Pack

I don't know where it is in the legislature (although if I have time tomorrow, I may search for it. I often read the legislature regarding animals just for fun), but I do know that it is illegal to take kittens away from mom until 8 weeks. I don't know if its just a California thing, and why California law should apply to you in Washington.
Anyways, please consider a rehoming fee for your little ones. You can take them to the vet to get their first shots, and then charge a fee to have your expenses reimbursed. Thats the least you should do as a responsible pet owner. Or you could charge a small adoption fee that will go towards paying for your kitty to be spayed. Either way, its risky business giving away free animals.

4 cats: Radar, Oscar, Mackintosh, Qwilleran
1 dog: Daphne
3 rabbits: Barbarella Bunny. DC's Lucy, Ricky
1 daddy-long leg spider: Spidey
8 assorted tarantulas
1 madagascar hissing cockroach: Lady
3 chickens
1 ball python: Eve
1 corn snake: Charisma
1 California kingsnake: Honey
1 tortoise: Charlie
2 Mali Uromastyx: Nick and Nora
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 10:07 PM
Fluffy Chimphead

the California law may apply to the ad if the site owner or the server is located in California that would be my guess but i am not sure. as to how old a kitten needs to b call a vet and ask them they would know and wouldn't have a problem disclosing that to you over the telephone.

Mum to 1 sweet angel Skyla
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and 3 little Furry monsters Tigger (Wiggers)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Soxy Butt (toxic)
and Button (Butt Head)

Tags
adoption fee, pet owner, responsible pet owner