New info on pet food recall...I think... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

New info on pet food recall...I think...

Pet Connection Blog » Pet-food recall: Again, the numbers

I have almost lost my job at the pet store I work at for not keeping this quiet, but when animal's lives are at stake, I WILL NOT shut up!

I found this website that brings up some very troubling information about the pet food recall. They say that two large chain vets have stepped forward and reported that there have actually been at least an approximate 1,800 deaths linked to renal failure and pets who were eating the recalled foods. The AP has been keeping it all hush hush and have reported that only 16 deaths have occured, 15 cats and one dog.

Also, there are people who say that their dogs have been eating the dry dog foods and have also had the same problems with illness and a few deaths. I have only seen reports of this occuring with nutro dry dog foods.

I have been feeding all six of my dogs Nutro Natural Choice dry dog food for about a year now. Back in late October, they all started vomiting a few times a week, always within 3 hours after eating. Pooters, my Chihuahua, started with explosive, bloody diarrhea and greenish yellow vomit had to be admitted in the hospital for four days. The vet said he had been given some kind of poison, possibly rat poison. I thought my roomate had poisoned him because she went a little crazy right around that time. I still haven't ruled that out as a possibility, but I think it's something that needs to be considered in regards to the pet food recall. His problem has recurred every month since for about 4-7 days a month, except it has just been vomit with no diarrhea. However, you can tell his bowels are upset because you can hear them gurgling clear across the house.

After finding the posts talking about problems in association with the Nutro dry dog foods, my mom contacted Nutro and they were very snippy and rude to her. They told her that there is NO way the dry dog foods could be affected because it comes from a different manufacturing company. They are refusing to take back the $130 worth of dry dog and cat food we bought right before the recall. I just threw every bit of it out because I felt like everytime I feed my animals, I'm killing them. I switched them to the new Blue food at Petsmart and guess what.... after being on it for a week we've had absolutely no vomit from any of them.

I also found this in the post:
“I have a friend who works in Petsmart,” Ayers said in a message he sent via the Internet. “Today the Nutro rep. came in the store and, to make a long story short, started restocking all the cans of bad food that that was waiting on a pallet to be returned to the company. The store manager came and asked him what did he think he was doing? He told the manager that Nutro had ordered him to restock, that there is no proof their food was tainted, and he was going to restock.

“Well…the store manager took him into the office, had a few ‘words of prayer’ with him and told him to get out and don’t come back, the manager would call the company, etc., and out he went.

“I have left out the friend’s name, of course, and the location…to protect the friend. But I wanted everyone to know what this one company tried to do in this one store.”

So needless to say, I once recommended Nutro to everyone and considered it to be one of the best foods on the market, but now I'm boycotting it. I feel that they're covering something up and I don't like being lied to, especially when my babies' lives are at stake. I've provided the information and would recommend that everyone do the same, but obviously it's up to you.

And as an after thought, my mom works with this lady who lost one of her dogs (a Shih Tzu mix) and her other one (a Boston Terrier) got really sick, reportedly to rat poison, in December. Don't quote me on this, because I'm not 100% sure, but I think she said she was feeding Nutro Max dry. I'll have to double check and let you know.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Ok, as I started reading towards the end of the page, I also saw reports of Science diet dry and Iams dry dog food causing problems. Also, Nutro moist treats (which I didn't even know existed) that weren't on the recall list. And there are reports of liver problems as well as kidney.

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 02:15 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

if that is true it truly is disturbing...at this point it is only heresay since it is from a blog.
Its very sad any number of animals have died due to this problem with menu foods or any brand of pet food
If its true im sure we will soon here about this...or lets hope we do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

If I read it correctly, USA Today has reported the actual number of deaths. I agree, the rest of it is heresay as of now. One of the posts said the FDA is launching an investigation on the dry foods.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 03:15 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Thats what i meant....the rest is hearsay... and yes i hope they do a thourough investigation especially if any of the rest of it turns out to be true... a lot of more pets might be affected if dry food is contaminated too.

Lve Never Fails

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 03:40 PM
Title Thief Victim

Today someone from my town's dog died...it's scary and horrible that this is happening. what if tehy find more food that's causeing harm and my pet's have it ill never forgive myself and my life will be over..

Did they say how this food becuase poisend?

Carissasaurus Rex

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 04:37 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Wow, that's just scary if you ask me....

Life's not about how to survive the storm, It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Momma to: 2 human children Audree (2) and Jacob (7 mo.)
3 Doggies: Angel (13), Cricket (1), and Diesel (4mo.)
1 Kitty: Mazey (Age unknown)
2 ferrets - Mocha and Marshall
1 bunny - Ice

Working to make a change, one paw at a time!
Volunteer - Skinny Little Buddy's Rescue
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 06:48 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

I don't know...I've been feeding Nutro Natural for years, and I've never had any problems. I returned some wet cat food (different brand) and bought some Nutro wet for the cat and dogs and some dry for dogs. PetCo said they'd removed all the tainted food. And I haven't had any problems.

About the Nutro representatives, including the one restocking the bad food - That's the individual. Who knows - his boss could be an a$$ and told him to do that. I agree that it was crappy, but my animals have always done well on Nutro.

It would take more proof for me to make a complete switch.

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I've heard it was the wheat and I heard it was the meat... Either way, somehow rat poison got in it.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 08:34 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

yes it was rat poisen that was found in pet food.....

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f95/r...ood-40400.html
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 01:09 PM
Part of the Pack

I feed nutro dry and wet to my cats.When I heard about the recall I thorw everthing nutro away and went and got new dry food.I wasn't going to risk the dry having a problem.
I feel horriable for the peoples how cats and dogs died because of this.

Mom to:
Zippy

Pumpkin

Zoey

Co-owner to:Sweet P.
and Piglet

Rest in Peace Liberty
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 02:13 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Here's the link I found on another forum about this all...I guess vets are estimating it to have been THOUSANDS of deaths...

PET DEATH TOLL MAY BE THOUSANDS AP - Regionalnews - New York Post Online Edition

Life's not about how to survive the storm, It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Momma to: 2 human children Audree (2) and Jacob (7 mo.)
3 Doggies: Angel (13), Cricket (1), and Diesel (4mo.)
1 Kitty: Mazey (Age unknown)
2 ferrets - Mocha and Marshall
1 bunny - Ice

Working to make a change, one paw at a time!
Volunteer - Skinny Little Buddy's Rescue
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I found this website with newly released information on the food recall. Apparently they have found melamine, which I think it a type of plastic, in the food.

FOXNews.com - Chemical Used to Make Plastics Found in Recalled Pet Food Linked to Deaths - Business And Money | Business News | Financial News

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Here's another website that says that the contaminated wheat gluten may have been used to make dry dog food as well, but they aren't releasing the name of the company yet.

FDA finds new chemical in recalled pet food, sick animals - CNN.com

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 09:50 PM
Glowing New Mommy

ANd now theyve recalled my cats food... the only food he can eat (hes diabetic).. the hills m/d ... friggin wonderful

R.I.P Tobbie
September 24, 2007
I'll always miss you!!

Tags
animal cruelty, boston terrier, cat food, dick van patten, dog food, dry dog food, dry food, english springer spaniel, nutro natural choice, pet food, pet food recall, pet foods, pet owner, pet store, pet supplies, shih tzu, wet cat food, wet food