New legislation in China for banning cat/dog meat - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 07:00 AM
Part of the Pack

The idea of eating my dog is yucky. I see what he eats. The idea that he is food to some other animal (people included) is a fact.

When you look at one side of the issue we get into trouble because we project so much human emotion onto the creatures we keep as companions. So it doesn't surprise me that it seems cruel and disgusting.

Personally, I have a rule. Don't eat anything that wants to or can/will eat you. It's just bad karma.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 08:09 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

A pig is way more intelligent than any dog.
So tell me. How is it fair to say a pig can be eaten, but a dog is a pet, and can never be eaten?

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 10:09 AM
RAT ADDICT

Oh I meant to include this earlier,but forgot...someone mentioned boiling animals alive...lobsters are boiled alive too...do they not matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchi View Post
A pig is way more intelligent than any dog.
So tell me. How is it fair to say a pig can be eaten, but a dog is a pet, and can never be eaten?
I would love to know this too.
Chickens are also pretty smart.
Is it because dogs and cats are "cuter"? that we should not eat them?

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 11:41 AM
Part of the Pack

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapc...als/index.html
http://www.zesterdaily.com/politics/...nning-dog-meat
http://www.cracked.com/funny-2794-dog-meat/

So there were a few articles that talked about "raising warmth" of the body. I assume that is the metabolism thing this link talks about. What if dogs have the secret to weight loss or some other actual medicinal purpose. Will that make it less taboo?

I could see it being banned for sanitary and regulation purposes but it would take years and years for peer pressure to make lasting changes.

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 09:10 AM
It's all for them

If I try very hard I can separate myself from the emotional point of view (eating my own pets is a horrifying thought) and try to think of it in the abstract.

Would I want to eat dog or cat? No. Dogs and cats are carnivores, I can't think that their meat would be very tasty. I don't eat pigs either.

I am not a vegetarian, but I only eat vegetarian animals.

As for the way animals are raised, kept and killed. Yeah, I know what happens. I try not to think about it much though, or I cry too much and binge on sweets instead

As for telling people they aren't animal lovers, because their opinions are different from yours, that's just silly. Everyone thinks differently, its the way of the world.
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 11:08 AM

Actually a dog is more of an omnivore than a carnivore

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 12:05 PM
It's all for them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchi View Post
Actually a dog is more of an omnivore than a carnivore
okay, thank you for the correction.

Fact remains though that dog is a meat eater, and meat eaters do not generally make good meat, at least, not in my opinion anyway.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 06:49 AM

I did get what you were saying
And I do follow you. There's a lot of meat eating animals, we would never eat. Mostly because some of their organs can be toxic to humans...

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravnos View Post
The idea that there's someone out patrolling the streets looking for strays and unattended pets is absurd, and just a tactic to make it seem more disgusting than it actually is. The vast majority of these animals are specifically raised for slaughter. I'm sure there are isolated cases of strays, but I highly doubt it is the norm anywhere.

In some places, adequate sources of protein are not easily found. There may simply not be enough space for large animals like cattle. Especially when you start considering the sheer population in some of these areas. They resort to consuming things that we in the "western" world would never consider palatable. Sometimes because they simply don't have better choices. Of course, there's always the silly trendy things like Chinchi mentioned, and those are generally pretty absurd and cater to a specific kind of clientele who want exotic meals... but the simple fact is, if you can name a species of animal, chances are someone somewhere probably kills it or something like it for food. Just because it's not a convention of western society, doesn't make it inherently wrong. To me, how the animals are treated prior to slaughter, and the method of slaughter is what makes the difference. Surprisingly, I'm not alone.
I use the Steno and a can to make the Char cloth,did not want to drag out the Grill or start a fire.

post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 08:38 AM

animal rights

thanks for bringing awareness to this issue.. its important that we dont ignore animal rights. A radio chat that is bang on with this is a chat that I found online, with Jessica Stout, a vet in cali, and a writer about animal rights. its worth listening to... just do a search for nowyouknowradio which is free.

global.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 08:45 PM
Betta Bomb

This thread is a few months old
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 02:31 AM
Playful Pup

I agree with most of the posters, I think its part of there culture and were not any better, and i do know that alot of those cultures do even only eat certain breeds of dog, like korea they dont just eat any dogs they use the yellow dog which they actually believe to be not the same as housepets like there inferior somehow, kinda odd the yellow dogs are really cute haha but anyway i just dont see a problem with it and i love cats and dogs but people do things differently in different places, what always gets me is that some people are worried SO much about things like this, and there are just sooo many things going on in china that id be more concerned about, I dont agree with animals being treated inhumanely of cource, but in my opinion the US is just as bad with how they deal with our food, if not worse in some ways.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

I think that testing products on animals should be banned in the world!

Tags
ban eating cat/dog