New legislation in China for banning cat/dog meat - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

New legislation in China for banning cat/dog meat

Traditionally, the Chinese have been known for the
unsavory practice of killing stray cats and dogs as edible delicacies

A new, long-needed legislation in China calls for the closing of thousands of restaurants selling dog and cat meat and a fine for anyone eating dog or cat meat. The rising middle class are pet lovers and want to end such creulty through signing online
petitions.
Yay!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 12:31 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

That's so stupid.
If you could be sure they had a good life, why not eat them? We eat pigs... They are way more intelligent that a dog.
And we eat cows. They are holy to some people...

It's no more cruel to eat a dog or cat, that it is to eat any other type of meat.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I'm sorry but I cannot believe that a "pet lover" would respond this way to eating dogs and cats.
They raise these animals in cages or catch strays (or even pets wandering the street) and skin them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I agree with Chinchi. An animal is an animal, pet or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliang1980 View Post
They raise these animals in cages
You should take a look at the meat industry. Overwhelmingly, animals are raised in horrible conditions only to be slaughtered, often inhumanely. The egg and milk industries are not any better. This is not just in countries that eat cats and dogs, it's right here in North America.

Eating a cat or dog is no different than eating any other animal.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 03:26 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

There was a chinese restaurant by my house that was caught a couple years ago for selling cat and calling it chicken...yikes!!

I agree that an animal is an animal. Just like here cows are no big deal, but in India....you get my drift. I am glad that they are banning eating strays though. Thats just crazy, especially the kinds of diseases that could be in that meat....yuck.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 07:02 PM
is a little "special"

Those are my exact thoughts when I read this! It really ticks me off that some animals are "OK" to eat, but the thought of eating cats and dogs horrifies people.
If we are banning eating pets, can we ban rabbit, guinea pig, pig, fish, and other meat too? People keep those as pets... People keep chickens, cows, sheep, ect as pets too. Or just ban it all together?
I just dont think its fair to single out banning the killing of one animal and leave the rest to suffer, just because you think one species is better than another...

Im glad that dog and cat meat is banned though. Its a step in the right direction at least.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 02:15 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Quote:
I'm sorry but I cannot believe that a "pet lover" would respond this way to eating dogs and cats.
They raise these animals in cages or catch strays (or even pets wandering the street) and skin them.
Okay, so because I think it's okay to eat every animal out there, as long as it is not threatened, and it's treated right before it's put down, I'm a bad person in your world?
China have this thing where they take a live fish, cut into it. Then they put it into some frying oil (mind you, the animals is still alive), when it's been fried a bit, they take it out, put some sauce on it, and now you have a trendy meal, where you eat from a live fish.
Sorry, I do not see the problem in eating a dog or cat, if the animal had a good life. But that fish thing is just disgusting!

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 03:25 PM
Herp Nerd

The idea that there's someone out patrolling the streets looking for strays and unattended pets is absurd, and just a tactic to make it seem more disgusting than it actually is. The vast majority of these animals are specifically raised for slaughter. I'm sure there are isolated cases of strays, but I highly doubt it is the norm anywhere.

In some places, adequate sources of protein are not easily found. There may simply not be enough space for large animals like cattle. Especially when you start considering the sheer population in some of these areas. They resort to consuming things that we in the "western" world would never consider palatable. Sometimes because they simply don't have better choices. Of course, there's always the silly trendy things like Chinchi mentioned, and those are generally pretty absurd and cater to a specific kind of clientele who want exotic meals... but the simple fact is, if you can name a species of animal, chances are someone somewhere probably kills it or something like it for food. Just because it's not a convention of western society, doesn't make it inherently wrong. To me, how the animals are treated prior to slaughter, and the method of slaughter is what makes the difference. Surprisingly, I'm not alone.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Yes hello,
I have to agree with you that the vast majority of these animals are raised as food, but they also do catch stray cats and dogs in certain towns and then slaughter them. My mom and dad are from China and they tell me off this practice. My dad is always very upset when he mentions this.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Rep Lover

I hate china cause they kill cats and dogs for food. Here Yes i know we eat chicken pig, cow. Things like that. BUT its different. Not because its a animal but because its a farm animal, its bred and raised for food. A dog or cat is NOT a food item, they were bred to be PETS only. And dogs were bred to be our friends and to help us hunt or retrieve a duck out of water or hunt mice out of holes in the ground or warn us when some one is braking into our house. Cats were here to help kill off mice in barns.

Only a NON animal lover would say something like a animal is just a animal and no more than that.....

ALSO in china the way's they kill is NOT right, they dont put them to sleep in a good way, they beat them, and boil them alive. We dont do that here to cows, chicken, and pigs do we? Ok maybe them ppl out there that dont care but the people that do care. They dont toss a live pig or something into boiling water to kill it.

And the way they keep these animals in cages in china is so not right, they pack small cages full of dog or cat, no water, no food, Dirty.... Its just not right.. A dog or cat is a PET and only a PET never to be food for a person. Its just not right.

There are animals out there that should NOT never be on some ones dinner plate.

LOVE Inuyasha and my Boy friend 4 LIFE
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 12:07 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

cats and dogs were actually not really bred for pets. Cats were bred for mouse control and as a status symbol not really for companionship and not normally treated that well. Dogs were mostly bred for hunting, working, guarding. Some were bred for food, some were bred for foot warmers. Cows and goats and things were bred more for milk than for food.

Look at the U.S. slaughter methods. You won't have the same views as you do now. You don't know what goes on.

[/CENTER]

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 12:45 PM
Adolescent Pup

So...? When are they gonna end cow and pig and other animal killing? Exactly. A dog or cat is no different then a pig, cow, chicken, etc.

You put a baby in a crib with an apple and a rabbit. If it eats the rabbit and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car.

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 12:56 PM
is a little "special"

The Chow breed was actually bred for food... Ever wonder how they got there name?
Unfortunatly, factory farms and slaughter houses in the US are really no better than China's. And they actually do dunk pigs in boiling water... Apparently it makes them easier to skin, and they are always completely dead yet.
I REALLY wish I was lieing, but Im not!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 01:48 PM
Rodentologist

In the US we kill dogs and cats and put them in landfills to rot because there are too many. If we're upset about the slaughter of dogs and cats in a foreign land, we need to look closer to home first.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 05:25 AM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchi View Post
It's no more cruel to eat a dog or cat, that it is to eat any other type of meat.
I agree 100%.

It is all meat somewhere.This coming from a vegetarian.I am not a close minded vegetarian though.In many parts of the world,cats and dogs,as well as horses,rats,snakes,alligators,guinea pigs...etc,etc,etc are food.They are also kept as pets and for work all over the world.

To label one animal food and another a pet is just stupid and hypocritical!

Quote:
Excuse me...but I am a huge pet lover.I am also a realist.
And guess what!? Ever see slaughterhouses? Yeah...you don't want to.Now those are what I would call cruel.

Tell me why it is okay to label a dog or cat a pet and a pig or cow for food? What about the cultures who eat other animals? What about the people who have cows and pigs as pets? How is it different? Is it because a dog or cat is cute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragunzGirl View Post
I hate china cause they kill cats and dogs for food. Here Yes i know we eat chicken pig, cow. Things like that. BUT its different. Not because its a animal but because its a farm animal, its bred and raised for food. A dog or cat is NOT a food item, they were bred to be PETS only. And dogs were bred to be our friends and to help us hunt or retrieve a duck out of water or hunt mice out of holes in the ground or warn us when some one is braking into our house. Cats were here to help kill off mice in barns.

Only a NON animal lover would say something like a animal is just a animal and no more than that.....

ALSO in china the way's they kill is NOT right, they dont put them to sleep in a good way, they beat them, and boil them alive. We dont do that here to cows, chicken, and pigs do we? Ok maybe them ppl out there that dont care but the people that do care. They dont toss a live pig or something into boiling water to kill it.

And the way they keep these animals in cages in china is so not right, they pack small cages full of dog or cat, no water, no food, Dirty.... Its just not right.. A dog or cat is a PET and only a PET never to be food for a person. Its just not right.

There are animals out there that should NOT never be on some ones dinner plate.
Again,why and how is it different? You cannot say anyone who thinks cats and dogs are food is not an animal lover.Do you eat meat? Then I can simply turn around and say your not an animal lover because you eat meat.

I don't eat meat.NONE at all.However I am not against people who do.People eat all sorts of animals,insects and all kinds of crazy stuff all over the world.And it does not just happen in China.What about the mass killings in slaughterhouses? The abuse that goes on in these places is inhumane.I also have no problems with hunting,fishing and small independent farms.As long as the animal does not suffer,who am I to tell people they cannot eat something? Here in Newfoundland,fishing is a huge part of the culture and I respect it,because I love my province and respect the culture.I also respect other cultures,even if I do not always agree.Oh and I am going to throw this out there too,I am also not against cannibalism...I must REALLY be evil and insane now!

It is very close minded and hypocritical to label one animal as food (chicken,pig,cow...etc) and another a pet (dog,cat,guinea pig,rat...etc)...when they can all be pets or food somewhere.Do you know that horses are bred for meat too? Look at the Bashkir in Russia...those are meat horses.But people also love horses.Horses are some of the most loved animals,yet in other parts of the world they are eaten.

Oh and as for dogs...many dog breeds were not bred originally for companions and pets.A lot of breeds were bred solely for the purpose of work and to do a job.If you read up on many breed's histories you will see what their purpose was.And still today,people have only working dogs.

People follow what society deems acceptable and not.Instead of making up your own mind/opinion and keeping an open mind,people just are sheep and follow along.Or following along with the crazy animal rights groups...like PETA for example...

I prolly will get told off for my opinion and stuff,but frankly I do not care.Like I said,I am a realist.I know what goes on.I am not going to sit here and be close minded and say well I have pet cats or pet rats,so it is cruel that someone would consider eating them somewhere else! In all reality,people eat them.And I do not have a problem with it.And this is my opinion,mixed with fact and I am sticking with it.

EDIT: wow...longer post then I intended!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Tags
ban eating cat/dog