One word, SICK! - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 01:15 PM
Adolescent Pup

fish do have feelings they have actually got quite a sensitive nervous system to detect any movements in the water thats why if you stick your finger into a tank of golfish they swim away. its called a lateral line and it runs through their whole bodies. To fry a fish must be torture and then to eat it alive is just discusting. I know its culture but it wont be any less tasty if they killed it kindly just before cooking to save it so much pain!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Love Cathy and Holly
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP Trixie snowdrop and lightning
Forever loved and miss my little chatterbox kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 02:48 PM
I am allergic to maths

I spoke to my freind today and he is going to remove it in a couple of days when he has gotten his laptop back
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Thank you so much.
Yeah to be honest i don't give a D**** if its their culture or not.
Either way its torture and animal cruelty, they would'nt do this to a human being. People need to really get their heads looked at when they think this is ok. Its utterly disgusting.

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 05:55 PM
Hello Earthling

Would it not be better to leave the videos up so people can see? By having the videos removed people aren't going to know what is going on.

post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 02:24 AM
I am allergic to maths

There is already plenty videos with animal abuse in them (There is a video of a boa eating a live guinea pig) and most people that watch that video dont care about the animal, they just get a kick out of it because they think its gross to eat a live fish.
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 06:00 AM
Adolescent Pup

We have signs at work saying 'did you know? Fish feel stress and pain just like other animals' and so every time I have to catch one of the poor creatures I think to myself 'imagine the stress its feeling, or the pain it feels if it gets stuck on the net.' they are very much animals. Thats gross. We can't even flush fish now because its 'animal curelty' as said by the RSPCA of Australia.

Pita my blue female rat with Pandora, my champagne hoody.

R.I.P Pita - 11.06.2010 at the age of just over a year (a year the feb gone since I bought them, she was at least a month old when I got her)
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 09:29 AM
RAT ADDICT

There are tons of abusive videos on the site,I flag them when I come across them.Personally I like to ENJOY YouTube,but how can I do that when I find videos of animal abuse? And alot of the times I am not even looking,they just pop up in searches...

Keeping abusive videos up like that can give other people ideas.Thats why I do not think it a good idea leaving videos up like this.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaRat View Post
There are tons of abusive videos on the site,I flag them when I come across them.Personally I like to ENJOY YouTube,but how can I do that when I find videos of animal abuse? And alot of the times I am not even looking,they just pop up in searches...

Keeping abusive videos up like that can give other people ideas.Thats why I do not think it a good idea leaving videos up like this.
Totally agree.
Teenagers would think its fun to send them kind of videos around to their friends to have a laugh and act cool. Youtube should be ashamed!

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 06:26 PM

I have cleaned (alive, you have to or their bodies go stiff) many, many fish in my lifetime ever since I was very little. I eat them. The heads stay moving from brain signals often for a very long time after even being cut clean off. I did learn a trick later from a Japanese method of doing it that seems to work with killing them very quickly but it doesn't always work. Fish have very small brains and it is hard to directly get to them quickly to shut it down.

Before anyone goes nuts. Eating fish here is a way of life. I live by a lake. It is how many here afford to eat well, my family included. It is also very natural and clean. The fish from our personal (very large) pond are much better than the processed fish at the store.

I've also killed squirrels, and ate each one. I am not one to laugh at my meal though. I'm always thankful for it. I'd rather something die respectfully by me as a predator than than by being put on a conveyor belt and fed into a grinder to make chicken nuggets.

Would I order the live fish dinner in the video? No. Not because I don't think it looks tasty because to me it does.. but it doesn't have to be purposely kept alive like that - that I DO find wrong. I just don't think fishing and hunting are wrong if done respectfully and for food without waste. I HATE sport hunting/fishing. There is a difference.

I hope I haven't made enemies now that most everyone thinks I am a heartless killer. =\
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 06:39 PM
Newborn Pup

fluke,

Yes you have a concious, most people dont. The chineese are sick people when it comes to resturaunt dining. I'm sure you see what they have done to cats and dogs. Cats and dogs are not food. I don't think whales should be either. Fish, cows, pigs ect, well we have to eat, they just need to be treated humanely.
There is no reason to eat a fish alive. Kill it fillet it but don't be cruel. What you do is fine...nothing to be ashamed of.
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 06:41 PM
I am allergic to maths

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluke View Post
I have cleaned (alive, you have to or their bodies go stiff) many, many fish in my lifetime ever since I was very little. I eat them. The heads stay moving from brain signals often for a very long time after even being cut clean off. I did learn a trick later from a Japanese method of doing it that seems to work with killing them very quickly but it doesn't always work. Fish have very small brains and it is hard to directly get to them quickly to shut it down.

Before anyone goes nuts. Eating fish here is a way of life. I live by a lake. It is how many here afford to eat well, my family included. It is also very natural and clean. The fish from our personal (very large) pond are much better than the processed fish at the store.

I've also killed squirrels, and ate each one. I am not one to laugh at my meal though. I'm always thankful for it. I'd rather something die respectfully by me as a predator than than by being put on a conveyor belt and fed into a grinder to make chicken nuggets.

Would I order the live fish dinner in the video? No. Not because I don't think it looks tasty because to me it does.. but it doesn't have to be purposely kept alive like that - that I DO find wrong. I just don't think fishing and hunting are wrong if done respectfully and for food without waste. I HATE sport hunting/fishing. There is a difference.

I hope I haven't made enemies now that most everyone thinks I am a heartless killer. =\
I totally agree with everything you have posted here, thank you
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 09:18 AM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluke View Post

No worries,I don't think you are heartless either.Eating fish is a way of life here in Newfoundland too.I don't eat it,but I respect it since it is a large part of the Newfoundland lifestyle.

However years back I used to fish and clean my own fish as well,but they were always dead before I had to clean them and their bodies were not stiff.They were freshly dead though,so maybe thats why.

I HAVE no problems with hunting/fishing IF everything will be eaten/used and nothing is wasted and the animals are not tortured or anything beforehand.I am 100% AGAINST "sport" fishing and "sport" or "trophy" hunting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrato4524 View Post
fluke,

Yes you have a concious, most people dont. The chineese are sick people when it comes to resturaunt dining. I'm sure you see what they have done to cats and dogs. Cats and dogs are not food. I don't think whales should be either. Fish, cows, pigs ect, well we have to eat, they just need to be treated humanely.
There is no reason to eat a fish alive. Kill it fillet it but don't be cruel. What you do is fine...nothing to be ashamed of.
And why aren't dogs and cats food,but cows and pigs are??? That doesn't make sense really.I mean I know what you are saying,but why would you choose ONE kind of animal to kill,slaughter and eat but then say another is cute and cuddly and a pet?

People have pigs and cows as pets,yet others eat them.
I do not like the way the Chinese and Koreans treat animals period.
But in other parts of the world they eat other animals.In the Artic they eat things like whales and in Russia they eat horses,in Asia they will eat pretty much everything (dogs,cats,rats,snakes...etc),in Lousiana they eat alligator...it is all meat really.

I am vegetarian,so I won't eat any of it.
BUT I think it is kind of dumb to say that ONE animal is meat and another is a pet,when in other parts of the world it differs.Why choose one to eat and die and choose another to be a pet?

Don't ALL animals have a right to live?

* Lisa *

post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Fluke i know where you are coming from, i was not stating that eating fish is wrong, but cooking an alive fish then slowly taking pictures and videos while chopping bits from the fish while its still alive is very SICK AND WRONG. Yes every animal is food. But the way they kill dogs and cats plus many other animals in china and other countries is sick. All because they don't wanna waste their money. Them countries are money driven. And it does prove it when you see dogs and cats being killed in the most horendous methods. I am no veg. But when it comes to where i get my meat and stuff from i am very careful as the animals welfare means alot to me. Yes when i die i would rather an animal eat me.. why? cause its nature, and nature is a beautiful thing to me.

post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 04:52 PM
RAT ADDICT

Claire,I know what you are saying too.
In many countries,the animals are abused horribly before being killed and/or eaten (as some are eaten alive...).

My point was just why would you call one animal a pet and another food,don't they ALL deserve a chance at life?

Being vegetarian,I have to add I am not one of the ones who try and convert others.I don't care who eats what,to each their own...but it is hypocritical to eat one thing and not another because it is "cuter".

But my opinions and views tend to differ greatly from other vegetarians.

EDIT: that being said,NO MATTER what you eat...I rather not see the animals abused,tortured or treated really bad before slaughter.I am very against slaughterhouses and places like that,but have no problem with small independent farms.

* Lisa *

Last edited by VanillaRat; 11-30-2009 at 04:54 PM.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 07:22 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

I saw a program on TV about this a couple of years ago...

It was about a big restaurant. At one point a lot of cooks had this contest, where one of the disciplines was to do this to a fish, as fast as possible...
The fish was not the worst pat though.
They also took a duck, poked it in the chest, stuck two fingers in there, and pulled out the heart.
In their opinion this was the quickest way to kill a duck...

It's quite normal to do this in the bigger restaurants. Young, old, you name it. As long as they have the money, it's a status symbol to eat this way.
That's why it's also possible to get shark fin soup... Status...

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo