Owner's rights - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Change Oil

Owner's rights

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/04/29/fa....ap/index.html

This is horrifying... to think a family actually made careful consideration and decided to put a beloved pet down because of a recurring medical problem that obviously wasn't going to be cured. Then, the vetrinarian makes the decision for them without their knowledge let alone their permission, to simply rehome the dog. I love animals and perhaps this dog's death was not immediate as they say it lived a few more months but I still think it was very very wrong on the part of the vetrinarian. It was completely unethical.

And the new owner... not allowing the rightful owners to have their beloved pet back when it was pretty much stolen from them? That's horrible. absolutely horrible, this case makes me disgusted about people who have poor ethics and actually believe they're doing something good. I feel sorry for this family.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 01:08 PM
I Have Foot-In-Mouth Syndrome

Wow... That is absolutley terrible...

I got a valentine!

3 cats, Yazi, Bit, and Thunder
8 rats, Bob, Cocoa, Zara, Kennit, Aviendha, Skewer, Bean, and Raleigh
3 mice, Briella, Sophie, and Jackson
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 07:35 PM
Part of the Pack

You are right, that vet had no right nor no business doing that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 09:06 PM
Curmudgeon

If the facts are as stated in the article, there is no doubt in MY mind that the vet should have his license pulled, and pay some serious damages to that family. That is horrible.

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 09:21 PM
Adolescent Pup

that was wrong.....so wrong..... i would walk right into that office and start yelling at the vet. thats just me!

"Heres to the liars and the cheaters and the cold mistreaters, to the mamas boys who cant make a stand, heres to the superficial players the "i love ya" too-soon-sayers, if you hear me girls raise your hand, lets have a toast, heres to findin' a good man!"- Danielle Peck
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 11:23 PM
RAT ADDICT

Thats sick! That poor family, what in the world was this vet thinking!?

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Aspires to Change Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygala
If the facts are as stated in the article, there is no doubt in MY mind that the vet should have his license pulled, and pay some serious damages to that family. That is horrible.

bob
I agree, Bob. I'm hesitant about what I read in stories since there's usually something being left out. I often hope they aren't twisting things. But then the media now adays... still it was just sickening to me. Sure the dog lived a little longer but it isn't right.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 03:44 PM
Title Spy

I was shocked when I read this story yesterday. I can't imagine making such a hard decision, saying goodbye to your beloved friend, actually WATCHING them "die" and then finding out later that your pet was alive all that time with another family. That's gotta be traumatic. And you know that the vet probably told some sob story to the new owners about how heartless the previous family was.

I agree that it was very very unethical for the vet (and whatever other employees were involved) to do this.

Owned by:
Three kitties (Hank, Napoleon, and The White One), two degus (Jay and Silent Bob), and a new chihuahua puppy (Gidget).

Special Pets in Heaven:
Bogus (cat), Dixie (dog), The Orange One (cat), baby iguana, and Charlotte (dog). I miss you all so much.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 07:39 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

this is horrible
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 09:54 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

that is unbelievable--they need to pull his license like yesterday!!!