Pet "owner" or "guardian" - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Pet "owner" or "guardian"

Interesting article about treating pets as "pets" or as "humans of another species".

http://www.slate.com/id/2096577/

---------------------------
Millie
Mom to 2 crazy kitties and 1 African Clawed frog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 09:53 AM
Adolescent Pup

Someday, my Piggy will be a real boy . I swear, he thinks he's a defective human.

We are all teachers on this earth, let's act like we know what we're doing!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 07:58 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

My Frankie is positive he is a little boy. I swear he holds the fact that Belle knows she is a dog against her!
The funny thing is that when my husband and I look at Frank we don't see a dog but our baby. I guess that doesn't help much.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 02:24 PM
Crazy Woman Driver

thats really interesting. thanks for bringing it to our attention

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Caroline
( Just two of my many alter egos )

I
my new job and my girls, Polly puss cat
and Isis puss cat

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 03:52 PM
Curmudgeon

That's a great article. I agree wholeheartedly with the author. I think people who begin thinking of their animals as "little humans" are seriously losing perspective in their relationship. It's the first step down the road to a whole different type of abuse. One much more subtle, yet just as destructive to the animal.

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 04:07 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygala
That's a great article. I agree wholeheartedly with the author. I think people who begin thinking of their animals as "little humans" are seriously losing perspective in their relationship. It's the first step down the road to a whole different type of abuse. One much more subtle, yet just as destructive to the animal.

bob
Agreed

:-)
1 rabbit, 6 rats, 1 conure, 1 cockatiel, 1 lovebird, 1 cockroach

- Bracelets, Beads + Supplies!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 01:30 PM
Part of the Pack

Well to me guardian doesn't suggest that the animals are being called human, it more suggests that they aren't objects that can be kicked around, if we truly "owned" our animals then we'd be able to abuse them and treat however we feel like.
Animal lovers know you can't mistreat an animal, but people who aren't and aquired an animal anyway see themselves as "owner" and therefore can and do do anything to their poor animal, and are pretty surpirsed when and if the law gets envolved.
So what I'm saying is that the term gaurdian is being seen as different defintions, I guess its all how you view it, but there's no need to jump to one assumption, to one view, and then before anyone else can make up their mind, they read a baised article and see baised opinions.
Let me sum this up for you.
Guardian doesn't tag the animal as a human, just as a creature who needs you.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2006, 11:26 AM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygala

bob
Completely agreed I see the problem all the time and often times that's when I get called in because the animal doesn't respect who is the human any longer.

Kara L. VanDenBerg
Lake Effect Pet Training

Free dog training tips, cat training tips, articles, breed information, and various pet information by a professional animal behaviorist. We have many items available to purchase to benefit rescue.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 12:27 PM
What If Your Mother Was Watching You

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_vegan
Someday, my Piggy will be a real boy .
Funny- we say that about our rat terrier Hogan all the time. It has partly to do with the fact his tail looks like Pinnochio's nose, though LOL

I have been frosted

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 04:16 PM
I Stash Little Debbies

Being a good "guardian" is a matter of teaching your pets manners. It's almost like children. If you don't teach manners, then they will think they are the boss. My buns are more than just pets to myself and my husband, we even jokingly call them our children, but they know who's boss and all learned the word "no" in their first week of being with us. They learned real fast not to bite the hand that feeds them (so to speak).

Okay, so I've got a mischevious husband and a few buns...

Grand Marshall NutterButter of TFAN

Code Name: Snow White

PT's Official Poker
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 04:34 AM
I Dream Of Tan Title Fairies

Wink

I'd regard myself as guardian... but I'm absolutly positive, for the piggies I'm the fodder slave

Wheek, wheek!!!
"Yes, here is your dinner. We have a fine salad from carrots, cucumbers and apples today."
Wheeeeeeeeeek!!!
"No, that is enough for today."
WHEEEEEEEEEEEK!!!
"Ok, later you may get some Loftys"...

He knows the darkness and the light
The heavens and the sea
A horn we raise in welcome to
The god of ecstasy..."

Diana L. Paxson

Rest peacefully,

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 07:46 AM

The fishes and turtle think I am just the food lady but to the fuzzy ones I am also the petting lady.
I agree that pets and children both need boundaries for thier on well being. If you do not set boundaries it confuses them. They need to feel secure and boundaries do that for them. Otherwise they will think they need to take care of everything for themselves and for you. Its the pack leader mentality that Cesar talks about. Did anyone see that South Park episode with Cesar? It was so funny and somewhat true!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 08:22 PM
Part of the Pack

Best south park episode, EVER.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 07:38 AM

I completely agree!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny

Tags
animal lover, animal lovers, rat terrier