PETA Killed 97 Percent of Rescues in 2006 - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 10:36 AM
Rodentologist

I realize there is a budgetary consideration. I think it behooves taxpayers to pay an extra $1 each to ensure they're not maiming animals. I'd pay for that much more gladly than I'd pay school taxes to build out kids another swimming pool.

Then, of course, you have to figure in that 2 of the 3 major gas chamber manufacturers have had severe malfunctions in their equipment that has lead to injury and death of ACO personnel. Now is the money worth it, now that it's a person's life, and not just a bunch of dogs?

As far as ends justifying means....

I don't think you can make a blanket judgement on that. For some things, yes, and for some things, no. I don't know the whole story on the people from Peta, only what the news reported. There are two sides to a story. I'm not going to jump behind them just because they were working for the animals like many people. But on the other hand, I'm not going to start slobbering on myself and going 'OMG ITS PETA TEHY ARE SO BAD I HATES THEM' without even hearing their side.

Though I tend to dislike Peta as an organization, they have many initiatives that I do agree with. Just like, though I disagree with ARBA and ACBA (guinea pig and rabbit breeding assocations) they do have some positions that I agree with. Very few things are black and white. I try to look at both sides and evaluate things individually.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 10:59 AM

"Then, of course, you have to figure in that 2 of the 3 major gas chamber manufacturers have had severe malfunctions in their equipment that has lead to injury and death of ACO personnel."

I had not heard or read anything about those accidents. Could you plaese post further information since I'd be happy to share that with the ACO supervisor.

Personally I find it difficult to remain neutral regarding PETA since I have personally been verbally attacked by their members a number of times. Each time the attack was not only unwarranted, but the PETA member was incorrect in their assertions and quoted invalid arguments and statistics. I have found verbal abuse is only their way of circumventing a losing argument.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 11:09 AM
Rodentologist

I've been verbally attacked by militant vegetarians, vegans, animals rights people, etc. I've also been verbally attacked by backyard breeders, animal abusers, and self-proclaimed responsible breeders for daring to question their husbandry. I think it goes both ways.

I'm looking for the articles I read, but many of them were from local papers and don't seem to be available online in archival form. I knew I should have saved them. Basically, the seals on the gas chambers malfunction fairly frequently. I did find articles that cited that all THREE major gas chamber brands had problems with either electronics which allowed gas to escape, or with seals which did so.

In addition, ACO personnel who are removing animals from the chamber are also exposed to the gas. I've heard of several cases of people blacking out due to this gas (which can remain in the bodies of animals in varying amounts).

To be honest, many of the recent local shelter converts managed to save money by doing injections by asking local vets and vet techs to volunteer. They're already trained, and it freed up ACO personnel to do their jobs.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 11:55 AM

The local vets have been asked to assist by volunteering their time. Once again, practicality rules the day. The vet under contract, with the shelter, insists on being paid. The other local vets refuse to volunteer their time or supplies. In fact, we've had vets send us abandoned litters of 10 day old kittens, expecting us to "dispose" of them rather than humanely euthanizing the litter or fostering it out themselves.

In the question of chamber vs injection, I found an interesting article. Let me premise this by stating that while interesting, it is also quite disturbing, especially the last paragraph.

http://www.animalpeoplenews.org/06/1...ambers106.html
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 09:09 PM
Adolescent Pup

Every since I heard of PETA using the puppies in a commercial and killing them after they were done, I've disliked PETA. I really don't trust them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pet Parent to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Golden/Labrador Retriever: Maxine

My Two Favorite Dwarf Hamsters:

Love you buddy, I'll see you later: Ozzy

Gone, but never forgotten: Drix

I liked this smiley so I just had to add it.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 05:43 AM
Rodentologist

I'd never heard that... do you have any news articles, etc, about it? Because I know a lot of the stuff that people "tell" me that Peta has done I suspiciously can never find any proof of.

post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 08:10 PM
Adolescent Pup

I'm sorry, that was just hear say. I heard it from a friend at school who showed me some pictures. I will get the pictures from him when I go back to school on Monday. From now on, I'll just post my sources when I make a claim.

Pet Parent to:

Golden/Labrador Retriever: Maxine

My Two Favorite Dwarf Hamsters:

Love you buddy, I'll see you later: Ozzy

Gone, but never forgotten: Drix

I liked this smiley so I just had to add it.

Tags
animal abuse, animal control, animal control officer, animal rescue, animal shelter, animal shelters, companion animals, guinea pig, humane society, local shelter, neuter program, pet owner, responsible pet owner, vet tech