Petsmart Animal Supplier Under Investigation for Cruelty - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Rodentologist

Petsmart Animal Supplier Under Investigation for Cruelty

http://getactive.peta.org/campaign/p..._investigation

This is an investigation on "Rainbow Exotics", one of the companies that supplies Petsmart (and part of Petco's) small animals for sale. This video is GRAPHIC.

It features rabbits being neutered by non-vet personnel without full anesthesia, workers stomping on escaped animals to kill them, animals who don't want to mate being "force bred", dying, injured, and sad animals.

They're the largest small animal supplier in the country.

Talk with your money. Don't shop at pet stores that sell animals. Rescue, rescue, rescue!

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 05:04 PM
Adolescent Pup

That's horrible! I actually bought my hamster brownie from a petsmart near my house. That is the last time I'll ever go there

My mini zoo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Toby : My beloved miniature pinscher dog and best friend in the whole world
: 6 yrs old

Sable: my brown/white baby syrian hamster: about 3-4 months old

Boo: my male albino teddy bear hamster: 7 weeks old

New hamster I have yet to name lol

RIP: You will not be forgotten

Kagome: Black bear hamster: September 06-October 27,2007
Coco: Orange/white syrian hamster: July 05-May07

Luna: Short hair teddy bear hamster: May 07- September 10, 2007
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 05:44 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I will never understand how people can be so cruel.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 08:51 PM
Adolescent Pup

It's not human the people can be just for the sake of some money. There have been animal cruelty laws passed and yet no one in authority enforces them except a few people. And those who don't have authority. I think animals should be just as protected as humans because they keep this world turning too.

Couldn't we "rescue" them from the pet stores because they will eventually die from being stuck in that cage.

Pet Parent to:

Golden/Labrador Retriever: Maxine

My Two Favorite Dwarf Hamsters:

Love you buddy, I'll see you later: Ozzy

Gone, but never forgotten: Drix

I liked this smiley so I just had to add it.

Last edited by rockman0; 01-24-2008 at 08:54 PM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Rodentologist

When you "rescue" animals from pet stores, all they see is that you're buying up all their animals, and they order more from these terrible people. Then more animals are bred to keep up with the high demand of animals.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 09:02 PM
Adolescent Pup

Well, isn't this sort of act illegal? Something should be done. That's overpopulation and cruelty to animals.

Pet Parent to:

Golden/Labrador Retriever: Maxine

My Two Favorite Dwarf Hamsters:

Love you buddy, I'll see you later: Ozzy

Gone, but never forgotten: Drix

I liked this smiley so I just had to add it.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Rodentologist

It is illegal, and Petsmart (now that there's video all over the news of them mutilating fluffy little bunnies) has filed a complaint with the Dept. of Agriculture to investigate them.

However, small animal mills exist all over. They supply 95% of pet stores. The USDA is stretched thin, and very rarely censors these type of programs. This type of abuse is common.

That's why I don't shop at any pet store that sells animals in any capacity. My hard earned $$$ are not going to go to support people like this!

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 10:10 PM
Guarded by Waffles

unfortunately the only places I know where to buy stuff from is online and I might try ordering from them from now on

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

I buy my pet supplies online because there is no good pet stores around me.

That's so sad, I'm not going to watch the video.

I'm pretty sure petsmart stopped selling rabbits again, which is great for the bunnies, but sadly there are issues with other animals as well. Oh, and of course "Rainbow Exotics" probably supply rabbits to other pet stores as well

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 12:24 PM
RAT ADDICT

Thats disgusting.

I know the biggest supplier of most of our local pet stores is called "Mirdo" or something along those lines.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 05:30 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Speaking of Petsmart... Never go to their Banfield animal hospital. I had a "vet" there put a rescue dachshund under anesthesia to clip a broken nail that was broken in her office. Then she put him on antibiotics and serious pain killers. She told me she was going to pull out his whole nail, but when the dog finally ripped off the bandage, I noticed only a very small part of the tip of the nail was gone. I pretty much got worked over for a $250 nail clipping. Everyone who has clipped their dogs nails has clipped a little to short and had the same results. A little stypic powder and he would have been fine. She pretty much lied to be about his nail being cracked so far up she'd have to take the entire nail out. I waited in her office for 1hr and had stopped the poor dog's bleeding by the time she came in. Then she decided to take the dog in the back where she could get a closer look...(yeah right) and didn't let me actually see his nail. I can't believe she risked putting a 7lb dog under anesthesia like that. /sigh I've had about enough of petsmart and am going to find a small business pet product supplier.

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 05:43 PM
Guarded by Waffles

www.dog.com www.horse.com www.ferret.com www.fish.com is where I go

Christine
Mommy to:

And the rest:

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 05:43 PM
Guarded by Waffles

oh and www.bird.com

Christine
Mommy to:

And the rest:

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Adolescent Pup

Good!
I worked at Petsmart and Petco, and if I remember correctly they both got their animals from Rainbow. I worked as the animal specialty in both stores. I got fed up with finding sick and unhappy animals in the stores I shopped at, so I decided to work there.

At Petsmart, my most recent job, we would often get extremely ill animals during shipment. I've seen wet tail, RIs, pneumonia, mites, mange, ringworm, Beak and Feather disease; most of the animals were underweight and... wet or sticky... upon arrival. Of course, at the store they would never sell you a sick animal so the sick ones are denied and sent out of the store ASAP. The new animals are then quarantined. Once at the pet store they are in good hands, but god knows what goes on at Rainbow. It makes me cringe to even think about it.

I'm GLAD Rainbow is under investigation!!!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 04:17 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

This is horrible, this is why I buy from people online usually or adopt. Chinatown is crazy though, they have like a million red eared sliders, babies, less than the size of a quarter, usually in bad condition. I bought 2, and 1 died, but the other is good and growing. But after the big tank was empty, a chinese lady took 50 maybe 100 babies in a big bag and poored them in the tank!

Tags
animal abuse, animal cruelty, animal hospital, eared slider, eared sliders, local pet store, pet store, pet stores, pet supplies, puppy mill, red eared slider, red eared sliders, reputable breeder, wet tail