Petsmart, the horror - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Angry Petsmart, the horror

did anyone see the thing about petsmart on the "today" show? they were talking about how petsmart bought its pets from these horrible breeding mill things, and how the conditions there were so bad and they even found LIVE animals in the TRASH BIN!!! not to mention when they were neutering/spaying the animals at the place, they weren't using very sterile intruments and the animal wasn't fully anesthetized or whatever so that mustve hurt A LOT I am so mad, Im never buying an animal at petsmart again anyone with me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 07:02 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by givemewings View Post
did anyone see the thing about petsmart on the "today" show? they were talking about how petsmart bought its pets from these horrible breeding mill things, and how the conditions there were so bad and they even found LIVE animals in the TRASH BIN!!! not to mention when they were neutering/spaying the animals at the place, they weren't using very sterile intruments and the animal wasn't fully anesthetized or whatever so that mustve hurt A LOT I am so mad, Im never buying an animal at petsmart again anyone with me?
it is horrible. which petsmart was it? i can't really defend my petsmart as i don't see what goes on in the background but it's my only means to animal stuff and i can't go online because i no have a debit or credit card that is usable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pet Parent to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Golden/Labrador Retriever: Maxine

My Two Favorite Dwarf Hamsters:

Love you buddy, I'll see you later: Ozzy

Gone, but never forgotten: Drix

I liked this smiley so I just had to add it.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

btw sorry, I didnt know there was already a post about this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 04:23 PM
Playful Pup

Quote:

Yes!!! I am TOTALLY WITH YOU!!! ... granted i don't really know what/where petsmart is... But I can guarantee I'll never buy from there if i do stumble across it!!!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 06:12 PM
RAT ADDICT

There is another thread about this.

We don't have a pet smart,but we do have Pets Unlimited,which are pretty bad.They get alot of their small animals from a mill called "Mirdo".

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 03:56 PM
Newborn Pup

Quote:
It's not enough to never buy an animal there. You have to make the commitment to never buy ANYTHING there. As long as you spend your money on things other than animals they don't really care. If everyone who felt the way you do stopped buying EVERYTHING from them and told them why they stopped then you might see a difference. The problem is not enough people feel the way you do or are willing to make the commitment. If you ask most people if they approve of what is happening to the animals they will say no but if you ask them if they will give up the convenience of buying for their animals at a place that supports what is happening they will also usually say no. So they go on giving them their money all the while feeling good about themselves because they would never buy an animal from them.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 04:27 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

As far as I know ALL petsmarts get their pets from rainbow exotics...so does petco.

I agree with not ever buying anything there but sometimes you just can't do that.
Around here there aren't very many petstores. Here there are the 2 chain stores and there is one mom and pop shop that just doesn't have the best selection as far as bedding and food. I only found one bag of aspen there and like 20 different kinds of pine. They only had the little colored bags of carefresh..
I think for most people it is very difficult not to buy anything from these stores because really there is no other place. You can always order stuff online but sometimes that's not really practical either. People can't afford to pay the online prices on some things, and some people don't even have a credit card.

*Missy*
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 05:07 PM
Newborn Pup

Well, there are alternatives but last time I suggested them on a public forum I made a few enemies so I'll will not go there on this one.

I do understand the difficulties involved. As far as the mom & pop place have you approached them about special ordering the things you want. Sometimes they may be hesitant if you are not a regular but if you offer to pay in advance they may be more likely to agree. (some stores require it and I do to if i don't know you) Sometimes stores may be reluctant because they may have to buy in multiples and they don't want to sit on excess product just in case your animal dies and you don't need the stuff any more. Or maybe one bag would last you a month and they don't have the room to sit on a 6 months supply. In that case maybe if you offer to buy more than one bag right off the bat they might be more willing. I know that some of my best selling items were those I special ordered for someone and another customer saw it on the shelf and they started buying it too. Many store owners, myself included, are reluctant to get in large varieties of certain products. I deal primarily with fish and reptiles so my small animal section is pretty small but when someone asks for something I try to get it in if it doesn't involve tying up a whole lot of cash. As for the carefresh, if they can get the little bags they can most likely get the bigger bags so all you can do is ask. If they say no then I guess you tried.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 06:15 PM
Newborn Pup

Yeah, Petsmart has always been pretty bad when it comes to their animals - I know their fish and hamsters are usually really poor. Once I went there and there were a few hamsters that just looked really sick and lethargic, crusty eyes, etc... No good.

petey & chunk
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 06:25 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

our petsmart and petco are very good. their animals always look good, their tanks/ pens always clean and fresh food as well as the correct food is given to them

In petco they always have the birds out riding around on the employees... so i don't think all of them are bad.

[/CENTER]

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 06:57 PM
Rodentologist

The birds were STILL purchased from the animals mills we're talking about. Even if the employees are nice as pie, they STILL buy the animals from milling animal abusers.

Ordering online is actually cheaper for me -- buy in bulk, save tons of money, and don't support cruelty!

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Playful Pup

A similar story came out on the news about my local petsmart. An employee went to the news and told them how animals (hamsters and stuff) weren't treated properly when they became ill. They were just left in the back room to die.

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 11:14 AM
Newborn Pup

Glad I read this.... no more PetSmart for me, though now I need to figure out where else to go.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I think for most people it is very difficult not to buy anything from these stores because really there is no other place. You can always order stuff online but sometimes that's not really practical either. People can't afford to pay the online prices on some things, and some people don't even have a credit card.
I buy all my pet stuff online and it's WAY cheaper then the petstore prices, even with the shipping! It could be diffrent for other types of pets though I guess. The credit card thing I guess would be a problem, but alot of places now take paypal, which is linked to your checking account so you don't need any cards.

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 07:37 PM
Newborn Pup

That is horrible.

But you do have to think about what you are doing.

Now I realize that buying anything from there would only be supporting them and causeing them to keep on buying and selling animals like that. However, these animals do need homes regardless. For it to keep going would be terrible. But for you to stop buying them for something they can't control is preventing the animals from getting a good home and they'll just be stuck in the pet store even longer.

So I guess it's a matter of giving the animals good homes or waiting until pet smart decides to put them down or something.

Want a pet-sitter?
Click on Rachael's Pet-Sitting. Thanks! =D

Tags
animal abuse