Petting farms - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Petting farms

I went to a little farm in a forest today and it made me sad to see the state some of the animals were in. Most of the rabbits were coughing or sneezing and they had mucus all over their faces. I noticed that some of the breeds were from up-ears and down-ears and so had ears that hung in a strait line which would cause it a lot of pain. There were different sexes in the pen and one of the males would not leave the female alone. When I was holding the male I noticed it had a huge lump on it's testicles and I noticed that almost every other rabbit had it. There was no supervision to many children in the pens who were chasing the poor things and trying to pick them up in the wrong way. I spoke to someone who worked there and they said the vet had been there in the morning and said nothing was wrong with them, they obviously wern't very good vets!! I think if a place keeps animals they have to know a bit about them, especially if there are many of them, if one has something catchy all the others will get it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vixen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Zoo!!!

Polo, Pepper, Solo, Bullet, Trigger, Bandit and Gem

About 50 of them

(rats) Ebony and Sotty
(Chickens) Persephone, Penny, Pandora and Pansy
Giant Afircan land snails
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 06:09 PM
Adolescent Pup

awww poor wee things.
as much as i have a growing distaste for the "animal protectors of society" you need to call someone cos thats not very good and unfortunity some parents don't teach their children to respect animals i think that is why there is so many dog attacks on kids.
i have had rabbits and usually with any animal by the time a respiratory illness actually appears the animals are really sick.
poor wee things

Chin mummy to

Zoe and Rupert
Sweet Pea and Snude
Fluke and Bindi
Sophie and Monty
No-toes
Snickers

Speights

Lily and Milo
RIP Olivia
Toby

0800 Chin Addiction Services

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 06:41 PM
Will It Ever Change?

yeah, I agree you should try and report them. Their health's at stake!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 07:17 PM
Oily Chickenspew

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder
yeah, I agree you should try and report them. Their health's at stake!

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 11:07 PM
RAT ADDICT

I agree! Definatly report them!! Those rabbits need vet care and should not be constantly breeding like that!

I have never been to a petting farm since I was a child,so I really dunno if we have horrible ones.I did visit a farm last year where you could pet and hang out with the animals,but they were healthy and in clean pens and things,so no complaints.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I have written to the manager about the state they are in and if they don't improve I WILL report them!!

Vixen

My Zoo!!!

About 50 of them

(rats) Ebony and Sotty
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 04:13 PM
Will It Ever Change?

good stuff!! *pats on back*

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 04:59 PM
Part of the Pack

ugh, I get very angry and end up taking things into my own hands.....

I would steal them.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 10:46 PM
RAT ADDICT

Way to go! Hopefully something gets done!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 12:31 AM
laugh often

I congratulate you on writing the owner because I wouldn't have been so rational, sometimes the owner of a buissness does live far away and are unable to see the location for themselves or they are purely buissness people only in it for the money ya know. I hope you have good luck with this.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks everyone

Vixen

My Zoo!!!

About 50 of them

(rats) Ebony and Sotty
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 05:23 PM
Playful Pup

I know that coughing, sneezing, and mucus are signs of upper respiratory infection in guinea pigs, but I don't know about rabbits. They probably don't take their animals to an exotic vet, but a cat&dog vet. Maybe you could contact the Humane Society or something.

Tags
exotic vet, guinea pig, humane society, respiratory infection, upper respiratory infection, vet care